Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dublin, OH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No hope on the electrical being done in the next 2 weeks. Talked with the AEP meter guy and he is red tagging it because they used speed rail to mount the meter and did not connect the meter wires to the shunt on the transfomer.

He says that resets his response time for another 2 weeks AFTER the issues are corrected.

Basically he is upset they didn't hire local electricians.

The ones they got were from Dayton/Cincy, probably saved themselves 20% for a delay that costs their bottom line nothing. And why would they use speedrail, is this amateur hour?

The ones he mentioned were from Mansfield. And harped endlessly about not using Columbus electricians for numerous projects.

I am not an electrician, but I have used boxed speed rail before and it is pretty sturdy, we would use it to hold 4-5 thousand pound mandrels.

FB17FD85-3248-4ACD-87F1-4BBFB8D21270.jpeg
5FF3ED41-1412-401F-B057-15CD86D57A73.jpeg
5FABD39C-67B5-483C-91EA-B618B540D103.jpeg

I returned from a quick trip south yesterday and took a look at the Grove City Supercharger meter installation. The only difference is the meter enclosure is attached directly to the the slotted channel that is mounted to the ground. The Dublin Supercharger has the meter enclosure attached to cross piece slotted channel which is then attached to the slotted channel mounted in the ground. If that’s what needs to be fixed it’s not that much to do. Running a shunt from the xfrmr to the meter isnt that much work either. Should be able to do the changes in a day.

Walked up to the Supercharger late today. I noticed an “Approved for Energy” sticker from Columbus Building and Zoning dated 8/16/2018.

There was no red tag on the meter box.
835577BB-D6D9-4CA2-8FA6-FDCB07506F86.jpeg

67D94FDF-AA52-46F8-AF05-44A5E47B3256.jpeg

Does this mean the inspection passed and it’s just waiting on the meter install, final monolith screws installed and Tesla approval and map turn on? I hope so

A quick update for beleaguered Ohioans who feel like they're being picked on:

Now that the new Atlanta supercharger is open, Sawmill is the only Tesla Supercharger still under construction in an even more colossal rectangle -- starting at the North Pole, heading down to Palm Springs CA, shifting east all the way to Gainesville FL, then north to Baltimore MD, and finally back up to the North Pole. That's an area the size of, what, Europe?

A quick update for beleaguered Ohioans who feel like they're being picked on:

Now that the new Atlanta supercharger is open, Sawmill is the only Tesla Supercharger still under construction in an even more colossal rectangle -- starting at the North Pole, heading down to Palm Springs CA, shifting east all the way to Gainesville FL, then north to Baltimore MD, and finally back up to the North Pole. That's an area the size of, what, Europe?
So... we win right? What do we win?

91CB3B48-D9AA-4B14-A112-04BAFBEF5C93.jpeg
A3215389-ACA2-4069-A90B-B090ECA958AA.jpeg
D0CBF789-4581-4FA4-A077-7683292DC182.jpeg

Status from my walk to the Supercharger today:

1. The vertical square slotted channel that the meter enclosure attached was replaced with circular steel tubing. It required new concrete footings and the old square slotted posts to be sawed off at the base of the old concrete base. This is strange since the Grove City Supercharger uses the square slotted posts?

2. A copper ground wire now is coming out of the meter enclosure and snakes down to the ground. I think a more professional way would be to snake the copper wire in a new steel tubing from inside the meter enclosure to the ground. Anyone could use cutters and snip it the way it is now.

3. AEP seal tags have been attached to the meter enclosure

do you think that all of this will be hidden by a locked enclosure upon completion?

I don’t think any additional enclosures will be done. The Grove City Supercharger does not have a fence/enclosure around the meter. Unless code has changed, the meter must be clear for reading and repair. And less impactful but interesting: All Superchargers between here and Seattle following I-70 and I-84 are not enclosed; some like in Colorado, Wyoming and Seattle have zero enclosures

Reactions: jrreno
I don’t think any additional enclosures will be done. The Grove City Supercharger does not have a fence/enclosure around the meter. Unless code has changed, the meter must be clear for reading and repair. And less impactful but interesting: All Superchargers between here and Seattle following I-70 and I-84 are not enclosed; some like in Colorado, Wyoming and Seattle have zero enclosures

Yep, like I said after talking to the guy, I got the impression it was more about Tesla not hiring from the Columbus electricians union than anything else.

D04BC059-1BBC-4F7B-B4D3-2CBF492B4E12.jpeg
CE9AD75C-ECCD-4F59-A4BE-4B76992DCD8B.jpeg

Status from my walk today:

1. The meter is installed and shows zero power used.

2. None of the monoliths have the final screws installed.

3. The 1A, 1B, 2A... decals are not installed

4. The Tesla Sevice Center telephone number decal on each Supercharger monolith is not installed.

5. Dublin Supercharger is not displayed on the navigation map.

It appears that Tesla now has to come out and test it with a car, screw the screws in, put some decals on and turn on the location.

If the Tesla person is local I’m guessing by tomorrow or next Friday it will be on?

It hasn’t shown up on the car navigation map, the chain link fence is still up around the Superchargers and the screws aren’t installed in the monoliths.

Since it still is a construction site I don’t think it’s wise to use

It hasn’t shown up on the car navigation map, the chain link fence is still up around the Superchargers and the screws aren’t installed in the monoliths.

Since it still is a construction site I don’t think it’s wise to use
I'm guessing you walked over and checked it out today at lunch? :D

It was a Tesla owning AEP employee who put out the word. She may only be aware that AEP has finished: not that Tesla has finished. :oops:

I'm guessing you walked over and checked it out today at lunch? :D

It was a Tesla owning AEP employee who put out the word. She may only be aware that AEP has finished: not that Tesla has finished. :oops:

I just finished my walk. The fence is still up. The orange netting fence is across the entrance. The portapotty is still there. The Supercharger monoliths are still not complete with screws. The power meter still shows zero power consumed. And the auto map does not display the location

Bottom line is the Supercharger is still a construction site. There is high voltage inside the monoliths and since the monoliths are not completely contained the possibility of injury and breakage has a potential of injury and damage to the person and site. Using it is irresponsible.