Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dublin, CA - Amador Plaza (LIVE, 14 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped by the Dublin location this morning at about 9:00 am, and ran into David McVey, Project Manager for Retail Development out of the PA corporate offices. Very friendly Scot (...more on that later). He gave me a brief tour of the exterior.

Still lots of work underway:

Painters up and about finishing up the exterior

Singage mostly up--red one on the back facing the freeway, grey one over the main entrance.

Electricians wiring up Superchargers--there is 1 operational HPWC currently mounted on an exterior post near the drive-through service entrance. There is stationary storage with the Superchargers behind a fenced in area--old school type. No PV solar (...yet).

Service area nice and large, opens front and back--maybe 10-12 Rotary Hoists in place. Lots of electrical work going on inside for NEMA 14-50s and HPWCs.

Service offices have furniture (still in plastic wrap).

Sales office still a work in progress.

Parking area striping to start today.

They made no sturctural/architectural changes to the old facility--just reworked the interior as needed.

David expects to have all construction fundamentally complete on or around Fri. 8/21, with opening soon therafter. He expects that there will be an opening celebration in that time frame (couple of weeks). He commented that the parking lot was large now, but expects that when Model 3 arrives, they will soon outgrow it.

He believes that the new Service Manager will be a veteran (forget his name), a local who was originally at Menlo Park, then Burlingame, then in Europe, and now getting to return to the Bay Area.

David sounds like a busy guy, travelling a lot to oversee construction of retail sites/service centers. He notes that TM really hustles on these projects--no time to waste. Deadlines are short--hours are long. Funny--he is driving a non-Tesla vehicle. He noted that his colleagues give him a hard time about it, but that as a thrifty Scot he could not see getting a new S since he is on the road all of the time (flying...). I said maybe he needed a CPO to drive around locally. BTW, he saw Jerome G. in Fremont last week and said he looked rested and less stressed--guess he really diid need a break.

Dropped by the Dublin location this morning at about 9:00 am, and ran into David McVey, Project Manager for Retail Development out of the PA corporate offices. Very friendly Scot (...more on that later). He gave me a brief tour of the exterior.

Still lots of work underway:

Painters up and about finishing up the exterior

Singage mostly up--red one on the back facing the freeway, grey one over the main entrance.

Electricians wiring up Superchargers--there is 1 operational HPWC currently mounted on an exterior post near the drive-through service entrance. There is stationary storage with the Superchargers behind a fenced in area--old school type. No PV solar (...yet).

Service area nice and large, opens front and back--maybe 10-12 Rotary Hoists in place. Lots of electrical work going on inside for NEMA 14-50s and HPWCs.

Service offices have furniture (still in plastic wrap).

Sales office still a work in progress.

Parking area striping to start today.

They made no sturctural/architectural changes to the old facility--just reworked the interior as needed.

David expects to have all construction fundamentally complete on or around Fri. 8/21, with opening soon therafter. He expects that there will be an opening celebration in that time frame (couple of weeks). He commented that the parking lot was large now, but expects that when Model 3 arrives, they will soon outgrow it.

He believes that the new Service Manager will be a veteran (forget his name), a local who was originally at Menlo Park, then Burlingame, then in Europe, and now getting to return to the Bay Area.

David sounds like a busy guy, travelling a lot to oversee construction of retail sites/service centers. He notes that TM really hustles on these projects--no time to waste. Deadlines are short--hours are long. Funny--he is driving a non-Tesla vehicle. He noted that his colleagues give him a hard time about it, but that as a thrifty Scot he could not see getting a new S since he is on the road all of the time (flying...). I said maybe he needed a CPO to drive around locally. BTW, he saw Jerome G. in Fremont last week and said he looked rested and less stressed--guess he really diid need a break.

Service Manager is Mike White, a neat guy. A TM veteran yes; he got Palo Alto started and Norway and Denver too. Superchargers are under black wrap ( ala Mtn View before it's opening). TM parts delivering on Monday. They're still planning for 8/21 GO :smile:

Thanks for the info!

Stopped by in the evening yesterday and snapped a quick picture:

If2JDSk.jpg

Just stopped by and spoke with Brian. Soft opening this Friday. Coffee and Cars reception for owners this Sunday at 9:00am.
Superchargers are all unwrapped but sadly will not be in operation until mid-September. Mandatory 30 day notification waiting period for PG&E to shut off power to other nearby business so that the superchargers can be connected to the grid.
The two outdoor HPWCs will be operational.

Just stopped by and spoke with Brian. Soft opening this Friday. Coffee and Cars reception for owners this Sunday at 9:00am.
Superchargers are all unwrapped but sadly will not be in operation until mid-September. Mandatory 30 day notification waiting period for PG&E to shut off power to other nearby business so that the superchargers can be connected to the grid.
The two outdoor HPWCs will be operational.

PG&E has to shut off the power to other users on that section of the grid to connect the superchargers? Am I the only one scratching their head on that one? PG&E never ceases to amaze me but I'm more curious if this is something that's just part of the process of installing a supercharger or if PG&E is doing something different\unusual that requires such an outage?

Jeff

PG&E has to shut off the power to other users on that section of the grid to connect the superchargers? Am I the only one scratching their head on that one? PG&E never ceases to amaze me but I'm more curious if this is something that's just part of the process of installing a supercharger or if PG&E is doing something different\unusual that requires such an outage?

My guess is that the installation is unusual due to some sort of restrictive topology. I upgraded service to my house when installing solar, and because I shared a transformer with a neighbor, we had to provide the same notice (and delay). Another neighbor upgraded their service and had no such issue.

Normally with feeder operations they can do them hot, but as ohmman mentioned, there may be something that is unavoidable on the segment that requires disconnection of other customers for the upgrade. For instance, say they need to install a larger leg that feeds this section. Once installed, they will need to cut over all the existing customers onto the new feed and that requires a short outage.

PG&E definitely doesn't upgrade anything until they are forced. Some utilities manage their distribution plant a lot better and perform preemptive work. Not PG&E. They seem wait until it catches fire or falls apart, or maybe in this case, would be overloaded if they didn't.

Normally with feeder operations they can do them hot, but as ohmman mentioned, there may be something that is unavoidable on the segment that requires disconnection of other customers for the upgrade. For instance, say they need to install a larger leg that feeds this section. Once installed, they will need to cut over all the existing customers onto the new feed and that requires a short outage.

PG&E definitely doesn't upgrade anything until they are forced. Some utilities manage their distribution plant a lot better and perform preemptive work. Not PG&E. They seem wait until it catches fire or falls apart, or maybe in this case, would be overloaded if they didn't.

Gotcha, thanks!!!

Electrician question for everyone, OT... My house has 125 amp service and I am looking at going to 200amp service and an electrician told me that the feeder wires for my house were already capable of 200amp service it would just be a service panel upgrade. Does that sound "right"? Seems odd that PG&E would have ran 240amp capable wiring for only 125 amp service. Again, I'm way outside of my knowledge sphere here so that's why I ask... :)

Thanks,
Jeff

Yes, if they replace a service drop, they sometimes put in a larger one based on what others in the neighborhood are at. Your electrician that's going to do the panel upgrade will know for sure. He's on the hook if he's wrong!