Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dublin, CA - Amador Plaza (LIVE, 14 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The San Mateo SC is popular, but I've never had to wait in the few times I needed to charge up quickly near home. I would be more in favor of having 8-stall SCs in Redwood City and Walnut Creek to bolster our density vs. more stalls at the same location. :)

- K

In contrast, I took a look over at the Supercharger stalls when I brought my car in for servicing about 9:30 this morning (Thursday) and there were only two cars charging. I didn't get a real good look on the way out when I left about an hour later, but it was definitely not full. Too early in the morning for people to be charging perhaps...

I've used this charger 3 times in the last 2 months - I use it going to/from Harris Ranch, like I suspect a lot of the other users do. It had lots of stalls open before work on a workday in December. Likewise charging was no problem on Tues Jan 26 at 3pm. But this last trip I rolled in on Sunday 2/14 at 3pm. I got the last open bay and charged for about 30 min. By the time I left there were two cars waiting and there had been no turnover in the other stalls. That's a little worrying considering I need to hit this charger a couple of times a month. The guys that came after me were probably having to wait at least 30 minutes to get a stall.

I suspect what's happening here is that people use Dublin in the afternoon on the tail end of weekends to recover from the drive from HR when going to the north eastbay. In the afternoon after coming from HR you need 20 or 40 minutes of charge time so you're likely to leave the car and walk to a restaurant or go for a snack, but all the places to eat are at least few blocks away so the minimum time to go, get something, and return is probably 40 minutes, maybe more like 60, so the turnover might be slow, and there will be a lot of demand in the afternoon on, say, Sunday afternoon.

I asked inside about expansion plans but the staff I talked to didn't know anything. They did say that they are careful not to park their dealership cars there and they keep an eye out for folks that are 'dropping off' their car and leaving in another car for, presumably, a long time. They also said that the chargers are rarely filled up.

This is probably going to be like a lot of the other locations. Basically empty 98% of the time, but there will be a few hour window every week when the rush comes through on a weekend and a line can end up forming. One thing that makes dublin a bit different from a lot of other locations is that it's used as one end of a long high traffic run (to/from HR) so the charge times are a bit on the high side, and all the good places to take a break are a good walk off - so the turnover during the rushes might be longer than other locations. If that rush window is the time that you are always coming through then your experience might be that there's often a line.

I'll be in a better position to say after another few visits.

0845 this morning, showed up in Dublin early for an appointment. I figured I'd swing by the Supercharger and, if it wasn't too busy, charge and work to kill some time, but much to my surprise, all stalls were full with one car waiting! So I'm waiting at my dentist's office instead. :)

0845 this morning, showed up in Dublin early for an appointment. I figured I'd swing by the Supercharger and, if it wasn't too busy, charge and work to kill some time, but much to my surprise, all stalls were full with one car waiting! So I'm waiting at my dentist's office instead. :)
I took a road trip a few weekends ago, arriving to the Supercharger with 16 miles left around 3pm. I was number 4 in line and ended up having to wait 30 minutes for an open stall. I only got my car in mid-February so it was quite the surprise to see this long of a wait for 12 stalls. I was in a caravan with friends and had to tell them to continue north without me and that I would meet them once I could get this sorted.

The icing on the cake was watching a Model X back up against the curb next to the two stalls closest to the front entrance then sneak in when one of those cars had left. Even though the car leaving had waved over someone from the front of the line to come over (which was really nice of them), the Model X driver cut in front of everyone then effectively hung out by his car with the falcon wing doors open, gloating about how amazing it was to everyone. I was tempted to tell him off for cutting in front of 4 other cars but I figured it was a fruitless effort. Maybe he's a user on this site? ;)

Another wait for a Dublin Supercharger on Sunday. 15-20 minutes. On my way up from Harris Ranch. I think locals fill this spot since Service is closed on Sunday. Trading in my 85 for a 90D soon & might skip the Dublin stop. Tesla should have a self park & charge cue program so that drivers don't have to sit in the car waiting in line for the next stall to open up.

• Funny
Reactions: Klaus
I was there today for a charge, since there wasn't enough charge to get me home comfortably (arrived with 18 miles left). Anyway, I took the last available stall, and next to me on both sides were customer cars that were in for service - they had service number tags hanging on their rear view mirrors. I thought that this was rather bold of the service department, as I expect that they have charging stations in non-public areas. Anyway, after a while, two cars showed and had to wait, so I walked over to the first car in line and told the driver, "The car to the left of mine is there from the service department and has been there for longer than me, and I only have 10 minutes left." He got out of his car and walked into the SC, and a few moments later a service tech came running to pull the customer car out of the stall.

Seems to me that if the service department is going to use customer charging stalls, then they better have a better handle on managing them (ie: make sure that no customer is waiting for a stall, remove the car in a timely manner - not all cars need a FULL charge!).

Reactions: MP3Mike
I was there today for a charge, since there wasn't enough charge to get me home comfortably (arrived with 18 miles left). Anyway, I took the last available stall, and next to me on both sides were customer cars that were in for service - they had service number tags hanging on their rear view mirrors. I thought that this was rather bold of the service department, as I expect that they have charging stations in non-public areas. Anyway, after a while, two cars showed and had to wait, so I walked over to the first car in line and told the driver, "The car to the left of mine is there from the service department and has been there for longer than me, and I only have 10 minutes left." He got out of his car and walked into the SC, and a few moments later a service tech came running to pull the customer car out of the stall.

Seems to me that if the service department is going to use customer charging stalls, then they better have a better handle on managing them (ie: make sure that no customer is waiting for a stall, remove the car in a timely manner - not all cars need a FULL charge!).

So far I haven't been real impressed with the Dublin service center compared to others I've used. I'm hoping it's just growing pains

I spoke with the Dublin SC manager a few weeks ago. On the day I was there the Dublin superchargers had been #1 worldwide delivering total kW power over the prior 24 hour period. They are getting slammed. Apparently a major issue is locals on the weekend parking for long times/overnight. Tesla has been tracking and notifying these individuals, but it is still a major issue. Weekdays are apparently not as much of an issue. It is a difficult confluence of a convenient spot in an area full of Model S & X and also at a sales and service center.

I was at the Dublin SC last night at about 11pm and there was a Model X with a service tag taking up a stall--this seems like not a great policy for a SC that seems pretty heavily used as it is.

I don't get this at all. I talked to the service manager about this exact scenario taking up stalls and his answer was the bigger problem is locals charging. Yes that's an issue but so are the service cars taking up stalls. There was a disconnect there and it just didn't seem to register that service cars charging is an issue. WTF.

I was at Dublin the other day (Tues around 11:30 am). I took the only open slot and it wasn't working... Another S pulled in shortly after me and took the next slot that opened. Instead of moving, we just went up to Napa to charge (had just enough range to get there...).