TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Dubuque IA

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by Chuq, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Monday, 26 March 2018

Tesla charging station coming to Hy-Vee

BY JEFF MONTGOMERY

TH staff writer

Biz Buzz shares business tidbits from around the tristate area. This week, we highlight businesses in Dubuque, Bellevue and Elkader.

A new construction project taking place outside the Hy-Vee on Locust Street has nothing to do with groceries.

About two weeks ago, crews began installing charging stations for electric Tesla vehicles.

The Tesla Supercharger site will be located on the west side of the Hy-Vee parking lot and will feature eight charging stations, which will look similar to gas pumps.

These stations will be connected through underground conduit to nearby power-generating equipment, which will be obscured within a small enclosure.

Construction of Tesla Supercharger sites generally takes four to six weeks. Hy-Vee officials said a specific date has not been established for when the Supercharger will become operational.

“We view it as killing two birds with one stone,” said John Brehm, director of site planning for Hy-Vee. “This project fits into our sustainability goals and it also provides a wanted and needed customer service. It makes it really convenient for Tesla owners to be able to stop and fuel up.”

The Locust Street Hy-Vee will become the eleventh Hy-Vee in the country to incorporate Tesla Superchargers.

Brehm said Tesla approached Hy-Vee about the plan in hopes of creating a network of charging stations that extends from Chicago to Denver.

• Informative x 1
  3. DBQ_

DBQ_ New Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Google-fastest route from Des Moines, IA to Madison, WI passes through Dubuque, IA.

Gives hope to those in the Northern Midwest who travel North-South that Tesla isn't just thinking about the East-to-West Interstates. :p

6. RobK

RobK Member

Thanks for sharing the excellent article. This will be very useful to us when we travel from Overland Park, KS to Verona, WI. Having this and Bethney, MO SC would cut down on our trip time.

7. RobK

RobK Member

I had sent an email to the Mayor of Dubuque about a month ago requesting a completion date but I never got a response.

8. Tomasz

Tomasz Member

It looks to be completed (meter is there) but it’s off

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  9. RobK

RobK Member

This is very promising! Would appreciate your future update if you are in that area. I am assuming that it will show up on Tesla Super charger map once it goes "live".

10. keithhammer

keithhammer Member

Looks like they are ready for final test-out and application of identification stickers...

11. RobK

RobK Member

Fantastic news! Thanks for the update.

12. keithhammer

keithhammer Member

Tech is there as i type. They are juiced up now and he says within 2 hours they should be on the map in the car and officially open! Their location sucks - I’ll bet you half of them are regularly ICE’d...

13. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

It showed up this weekend as an open charger :)

14. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Was that in the on-board navigation system? The Tesla web site still lists it as Coming Soon.

15. RobK

RobK Member

Dubuque, IA is still NOT showing on our Tesla S NAV or Tesla SC Supercharger.

16. RobK

RobK Member

Dubuque, IA SC showing up as active on the Tesla SC map! This is good news. Hopefully Bethany, MO will open soon too.

17. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

sorry, My model 3 had this charger show up on saturday this past weekend.

18. Iowa2

Iowa2 Member

I stopped by last night and it is open. Even though I didn't need a charge I connected long enough to verify it was operational.

• Informative x 2
  19. kkitzhaber

kkitzhaber Member

All systems are go. I stopped by a few days ago, and all was good. Several people drove by slowly or stopped while I was charging. Dubuque SC.jpg Dubuque SC2.jpg

• Like x 3
  20. jeepn30

jeepn30 Member

Drove out there about a week ago. Nice to see they cary beer in the store from Toppling Goliath.....I then stopped for a bite to eat at Lot One downtown, about 3 minutes away from the supercharger...The only thing about downtown is that everywhere is a meter that accepts change only. At least the meter maid was nice enough to let me go in to the place to get change first and not ticket my car. I will say their bison burger was most excellent at Lot One.