Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Durham NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Location is behind PDQ restaurant. Approximately 3301 Watkins Rd. Durham, NC 27707. 12 stalls.

F4862AD3-F836-4FED-BD50-89DBF47C9DE5.png
1784A245-1662-4C59-B7A2-07EBA391913A.jpeg
60AFB213-ABD2-42A1-903F-A424875A7E1B.jpeg
ABCE2D38-FEF1-4CC8-8F93-22556176ABEC.jpeg
3D979DDA-97F2-4094-83D8-E6BBA240E157.jpeg

I am really hoping this turns out to be the “Chapel Hill” supercharger (because it’s much closer to CH than most of Durham). I was really hoping for the Durham S/C to be somewhere off of I-85 between US-70 and 147, closer to downtown. This is convenient if you’re on I-40, sorta, but it’s way out of the way if you’re on I-85 or just need a quick top up while in DT Durham.

I am really hoping this turns out to be the “Chapel Hill” supercharger (because it’s much closer to CH than most of Durham). I was really hoping for the Durham S/C to be somewhere off of I-85 between US-70 and 147, closer to downtown. This is convenient if you’re on I-40, sorta, but it’s way out of the way if you’re on I-85 or just need a quick top up while in DT Durham.

DT Durham actually has pretty good L2 public charging options for top-ups while out and about in Durham.

Reactions: SigNC
Durham, NC

Along Primary Interstates: I-40
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-15, US-501
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-40

To: Cary, NC - 15.4 miles
Diversion: 1.7 miles
To: Wallace, NC - 116.8 miles

US-15

To: Farmville, VA - 115.6 miles
Diversion: 0.8 miles
To: Bealeton, VA - 233.3 miles

US-501

To: Lynchburg, VA - 124.5 miles
Diversion: 1 miles
To: US-60 Buena Vista, VA - 160.6 miles

To: Farmville, VA (US-15, I-85, US-158, US-15, US-360) - 118.2 miles
To: Henderson, NC (US-15, I-85) - 45.4 miles
To: Lynchburg,VA (l-40, l, NC-86-US-158-NC-86, US-29) -117.2 miles
To: Raleigh, NC (I-40, NC-SR1728, I-440) - 28.1 miles
To: Smithfield, NC (I-40, US-70, US-70 Bus) - 58.6 miles
To: Fayetteville, NC (I-40, I-95) - 90.9 miles
To: Salem, VA (I-40, l, NC-86-US-158-NC-86, US-58, US-220, VA-419, US-11, l, VA-639, l) - 148.4 miles

Reactions: byeLT4 and RTPEV
DT Durham actually has pretty good L2 public charging options for top-ups while out and about in Durham.
Yes, if you have time for L2 there are a few options downtown, but most are at $1.50-2.50/hr parking decks (during M-F) and all of them are 3.3-6.6kW chargers. If you don’t have anywhere to go, that might work fine, but if you’re in a rush L2 sucks. Just today my partner went to work in Durham and forgot to plug in his car last night. He got to Durham with 12 miles of range. A supercharger even for 5 minutes would have prevented him from having to leave his car parked at the Corcoran St parking garage all day and pay $10 for parking, plus having to walk 1.5 miles to his office. If it had been raining or he was in an all fired rush, it wouldn’t have worked.

Yes, if you have time for L2 there are a few options downtown, but most are at $1.50-2.50/hr parking decks (during M-F) and all of them are 3.3-6.6kW chargers. If you don’t have anywhere to go, that might work fine, but if you’re in a rush L2 sucks. Just today my partner went to work in Durham and forgot to plug in his car last night. He got to Durham with 12 miles of range. A supercharger even for 5 minutes would have prevented him from having to leave his car parked at the Corcoran St parking garage all day and pay $10 for parking, plus having to walk 1.5 miles to his office. If it had been raining or he was in an all fired rush, it wouldn’t have worked.

Depends on how you define "top off"--which to me, by definition, means you happen to be somewhere (like DT Durham) for awhile and therefore do have the time to charge at an L2.

I suppose you could make the argument that there should be a Supercharger within 3 miles of everyone's normal commute route. Your example made sense because your partner works in Durham, but what if he worked in Wake Forest?

A downtown Supercharger makes sense when you have a high density of people that don't have a way to charge their cars at home or work and actually do need an urban Supercharger type of arrangement (ideally at a grocery store). I don't know that the case has been made that Durham is such a place. Being able to Supercharge because on one occasion someone who actually works in downtown Durham forgot to plug their car in the night before is not that compelling argument, particularly since L2 charging actually did work out for him (despite having to pay $10 for parking).

Reactions: X Fan and SigNC
FWIW: Tesla has done a great job covering the State from the Coast to the Mountains with charging solutions.
Only a few problem areas left IMO. 74 headed west out of charlotte and maybe the boone area being the big ones. I'd also like one at 77/40 intersection but that's somewhat me being selfish as it would be nice for one of my commutes.

Depends on how you define "top off"--which to me, by definition, means you happen to be somewhere (like DT Durham) for awhile and therefore do have the time to charge at an L2.

I suppose you could make the argument that there should be a Supercharger within 3 miles of everyone's normal commute route. Your example made sense because your partner works in Durham, but what if he worked in Wake Forest?

A downtown Supercharger makes sense when you have a high density of people that don't have a way to charge their cars at home or work and actually do need an urban Supercharger type of arrangement (ideally at a grocery store). I don't know that the case has been made that Durham is such a place. Being able to Supercharge because on one occasion someone who actually works in downtown Durham forgot to plug their car in the night before is not that compelling argument, particularly since L2 charging actually did work out for him (despite having to pay $10 for parking).
Durham is a great place for a Supercharger. I am not suggesting building a Supercharger because one person might forget to charge. It’s a good distance from the Henderson Supercharger and the Mebane Supercharger. If you are traveling to the triangle from places such as Richmond, Durham is a great place to stop. Any large city with more than 100,000 people should have at least 1 supercharger.

Also, a top off generally means a quick charge, not a 20 hour charging session at a 3.3kW public charger.

Active wok today. It’s moving along. Guys having lunch, but lots of HV wiring, and the pedestals are starting to be opened up.
View attachment 664222
I wonder if we’ll start seeing those prefab Superchargers I’ve seen on Electrek become the norm, or if this type of installation will still tending the usual. I really was hoping Tesla would start building Superchargers that are compatible with vehicles pulling trailers. It’s a huge PITA to disconnect every time you need to charge, or be unlucky enough to get to a Supercharger with a Model X towing a trailer taking up 4 stalls.

Reactions: swengl