Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Eagan, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, found the planning commission hearing on the supercharger. You can watch the May 24, 2022 presentation here. The full planning committee report can be found here and supporting exhibits are here. The motion to approve was unanimous as documented in the minutes.

Latitude and Longitude for the installation: 44.79514400761586, -93.20560354668842
Altitude should be about: 273m

1659416008141.png

Last edited:
Interesting location.

Our daycare is right there in the strip mall, so I'm there all the time. Won't be much by way of late night/overnight eats and facilities, but this location is between highway 77 and 35E.

That’s a good spot right off two freeways. Although I’d rather see Tesla put V3 superchargers along I-90 crossing South Dakota because that’s a miserable drive now with the high winds & slow chargers.
Amazing how the bar gets raised. Remember when there was no SC at all in Wall and that leg between Murdo and Rapid City was often a nail-biter? Tesla is putting V3s across Kansas now, so the same will eventually happen in SD.

Amazing how the bar gets raised. Remember when there was no SC at all in Wall and that leg between Murdo and Rapid City was often a nail-biter? Tesla is putting V3s across Kansas now, so the same will eventually happen in SD.
Well, they're putting in some v3s _in_ Kansas, but _across_ Kansas is a problem as somebody just reported.
3 of the 6 stalls were down in Hays, KS and it caused a charging jam.

Reactions: Cyberjr
Odd strategy to be adding metro area SCs when rural areas up north and south are still sparse.
Agreed

I still think one larger install near the 35 split would have made more sense, while Western and Northern MN are underserved currently.

But, living in Burnsville and having FUSC, I'm also not really complaining about the convenience once Bloomington and Eagan are up. Will be nifty when out and about.

Well, they're putting in some v3s _in_ Kansas, but _across_ Kansas is a problem as somebody just reported.
3 of the 6 stalls were down in Hays, KS and it caused a charging jam.

Yes, but work with me here. Three months ago, there were no V3s between Omaha and Denver. None at all. The reality is that most Teslas live their lives in and around big cities. Many people do not have good charging at home. Many need splashes of energy during daily runs. Understandably, they are building out cities as quickly as they can. When I visit my dad in Coon Rapids, getting to a supercharger is still a major pain. Maple Grove will help, but it still isn't convenient, although I'll take it any day compared with the early days when there was only the Oakdale supercharger.

Agreed

I still think one larger install near the 35 split would have made more sense, while Western and Northern MN are underserved currently.

But, living in Burnsville and having FUSC, I'm also not really complaining about the convenience once Bloomington and Eagan are up. Will be nifty when out and about.
Odd strategy to be adding metro area SCs when rural areas up north and south are still sparse.
The State of Minnesota Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Plan was just released today. Based on public input, the focus will be on putting (more) chargers along I-35 and I-94, which struck me as odd since there are already several chargers along those roads, whereas there are lots of parts of rural MN that have none. But that's what the majority of people who weighed in on the matter recommended. (The plan also reports that the #1 suggested location for said chargers was gas stations, beating out retail establishments 40% to 33%, which I really don't understand. I'd much rather be at a mall, grocery store, or downtown business district than a smelly old gas station while my car charges. But that's what the majority voted for. Who are these people?)

Yeah, western and central Kansas along I-70 could really really use some upgrades (winter and strong west winds make that stretch a pain), however I-80 through Nebraska is now looking pretty nice!
But back to MN… I-94 and I-35 north are looking pretty good now, but I-35 south of the twin cities is still a charger wasteland. :( We need something in Owatonna or Faribault. And, a supercharger in Grand Marais would make the north shore, and up to Thunder Bay, much more doable!

The State of Minnesota Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Plan was just released today. Based on public input, the focus will be on putting (more) chargers along I-35 and I-94, which struck me as odd since there are already several chargers along those roads, whereas there are lots of parts of rural MN that have none. But that's what the majority of people who weighed in on the matter recommended. (The plan also reports that the #1 suggested location for said chargers was gas stations, beating out retail establishments 40% to 33%, which I really don't understand. I'd much rather be at a mall, grocery store, or downtown business district than a smelly old gas station while my car charges. But that's what the majority voted for. Who are these people?)
People who don't own EVs that are stuck in their ways and don't understand how habits change when you're not chained to existing gas station infrastructure. Which, to be honest, is encouraging to me. If the majority of people who responded clearly don't own an EV yet, but are on the fence enough to respond to this survey, that bodes well for the future.

24 hour access is nice for chargers. Malls & downtowns are not going to have 24 hour bathrooms in most cases. A gas station that’s on a popular travel route may be open 24 hours. I did a straight through drive from MN to FL back in 2017 in my first S & it was challenging when some Superchargers had no bathroom available in the middle of the night. I would guess that’s why Tesla often chose hotels as locations for the early Superchargers as they’re open 24 hours a day.

(The plan also reports that the #1 suggested location for said chargers was gas stations, beating out retail establishments 40% to 33%, which I really don't understand. I'd much rather be at a mall, grocery store, or downtown business district than a smelly old gas station while my car charges. But that's what the majority voted for. Who are these people?)

I'm assuming the people who answered this are people who do not own EVs and just think the logical place for chargers is at gas stations.

It's also not surprising that they want to dedicate 40% of the funds to "Justice40" communities. I think grants for L2 charging at home would make much more sense for what they are targeting with that initiative but what can you do. Poor use of funds is just what the government does.

Sounds like Faribault is getting some love in the state plan. City of Faribault is just getting around to talking about electric vehicle charging. To this date they still have not completed the VW funds unit in a public lot downtown. I still am holding our for the Target on 35 at Lakeville that would be a perfect spot for commuters and would handle the 35 traffic. Eagan can handle the 35e and local and st paul travelers.

Reactions: DeepBlueMN