Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - East Greenwich, RI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I arrived at the East Greenwich, RI SC, 7 out of 8 spots were ICE'd! I spoke with one ICE owner who parked inthe spot about the spots being reserved for Tesla charging needs, he was very annoyed about it, to the point of being hostile! This SC could be a big problem spot in the future when more Teslas will be looking to charge here...

Attachments

• 1391892633802.jpg
    1391892633802.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 833
Last edited:
People these days are so inconsiderate. Don't have my Tesla yet but even at the gas station by my house, same issues. I'm going to work, need gas, all 8 pumps are full, most of them have multiple cars...not one person is fueling. The Dunkin Donuts line is 15-20 people long though. Was looking forward to never dealing with that again but looks like your picture proved my thought wrong.

The signs are such that 4 are general and 4 are dedicated.
I don't even understand why people park there -- it's not nearly as convenient to any of the stores (even the Walgreens building that's right there -- the entrance is MUCH closer to the general parking area around the corner). When there last we saw 2-3 ICEd and asked Walmart if employees were parking there (which would make more sense) and they said no.

Please call Tesla when it happens. They need to know.

When I was there, about 5pm on a Friday, the general parking area looked very full. The SC spots, which are right near the main street entrance to the lot, looked open and inviting. People are lazy, and many will often take the first reasonably close spot that they see. Perhaps Tesla should build a fence behind these spots, shielding them from view as you enter?

When I was there, about 5pm on a Friday, the general parking area looked very full. The SC spots, which are right near the main street entrance to the lot, looked open and inviting. People are lazy, and many will often take the first reasonably close spot that they see. Perhaps Tesla should build a fence behind these spots, shielding them from view as you enter?
I think, hope, a lot of this will change when they, Tesla, retrofits the solar canopies. And with canopies they can provide some kind of "barrier"?

That location was a poor choice because of the proximity to Walgreens, I don't think anything is going to work for the site. Orange cones should probably be placed in the 4 dedicated SuperCharger spots, and we can just move them. That would probably be a good step in sending a message to the ICE drivers.. most are too lazy to get out and move a cone.

If that doesn't work, I think retractable poles will have to be installed, that can sense a Model S arriving and retract, or we have a way to activate. Of course that's expensive for Tesla to install / engineer.. A better solution would be to just find a location that's not as busy and move the equipment to it, if it comes to having to take extreme measures.

As long as EV charging spots are seen as convenient (because they are near a building or even just open) by ICE owners, we are going to have this problem. Some jurisdictions will ticket or tow a vehicle that is "ICEing" an EV charging stall, but that seems to be pretty rare. I would make sure to report it to Tesla, and also post pictures on this forum when it happens.

It would be nice if we had a retracting post that was operated by RFID or a WiFi signal from a Tesla to help control access to spots where this is an issue, but that would obviously add cost and complexity to SC installations.

We'll be spending a few months in RI this summer, and since East Greenwich is the only Supercharger in the state, I thought I'd take a peek. Supercharge.info links to this thread as the official "discuss" thread for this location. So I was surprised to see the most recent discussion was about ICEing almost six years ago.

Does anyone have any current feedback on this location? Is it a place we can rely on for a charge? Thanks in advance!

You should be able to find a spot most of the time, but you might be surprised how often the site is above 50% and subject to idle charges. The shopping plaza has a number of things to do, but it is a long, cold walk to Panera or McDonalds.
I'm speaking in general terms here but if you arrive by 8am or after 8pm you should have no problems.
I would agree that there is almost always a free space, but you might be surprised how often the site is over 50% full and idle charges apply. ⅜ available now.

We'll be spending a few months in RI this summer, and since East Greenwich is the only Supercharger in the state, I thought I'd take a peek.

Tesla's official Supercharger map shows a Supercharger opening in Newport, RI "in 2019," although at this point, I take that date estimate with a whole mine of salt. There are also several Superchargers quite close by in Massachusetts -- most notably one in Mansfield and another opening "in 2019" in Seekonk (just over the border from East Providence). If you'll be closer to the Connecticut side of Rhode Island, there's another "in 2019" unit in New London. One or more of those "in 2019" Superchargers might be operational by summer of 2020.

There are, of course, also plenty of Level 2 charging options in Rhode Island. Check PlugShare for details. Some of these are at parks, malls, and restaurants, so you should be able to do something fun or productive while charging for a time span measured in hours. If you care to invest in a CHAdeMO adapter, there are a few CHAdeMO chargers, too. Depending on their rollout schedule, you may also be in luck with EVgo stations, since they've announced that they're adding Tesla plugs (via modified Tesla CHAdeMO adapters) to their stations.

Does anyone have any current feedback on this location? Is it a place we can rely on for a charge? Thanks in advance!

I've charged there precisely once. I did so soon after buying my Model 3 and exclusively to test that my account was set up correctly for Supercharging. It was at least 7:00 PM, maybe 8:00 or 9:00, in April of 2019. As I recall, there was only one other Tesla there and I don't recall any spots being ICEd. I didn't stay for long -- just long enough to see that it was working correctly. That's not much in the way of data, of course. It does have a current PlugShare rating of 10/10, which is quite good.

• Helpful
Reactions: CharleyBC