Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Edison, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I'm planning to do Hamilton -> Albany, but at 202 miles straight shot, it'd be more comfortable through Edison instead (169 mile leg, 203 mile total to Albany). Detouring through Darien is 102+144=246 miles, i.e. 43 miles out of my way.

I've got to check the elevation to confirm, but I think 202 miles should be OK in an 85. I've done 213 on the highway twice now already (out and back), rolling in with plenty of buffer each way.

Anyone already done Hamilton -> Albany who can confirm how tight it was?

Just to follow up, I did Hamilton to Albany without any issue, starting at 245 miles rated range. Ended with 14 miles. Air temp in the high 70s if I remember correctly and no weather. Would have had more at the end but for the last bit of the trip I sped up to 75 mph. Its referenced here: Electric road trip in a Tesla - Imgur Sorry I don't have more hard data like average speed and exact temp...

Just to follow up, I did Hamilton to Albany without any issue, starting at 245 miles rated range. Ended with 14 miles.
Yeah, we did Albany to Hamilton, waited for a 255 mile starting charge, rolled in with 30 miles left, with my wife driving the whole way (higher Wh/mile than me). Very do-able in an 85 in non-winter conditions.

If I can leave early enough then I'll swing by Edison again this Sat to see if anything's going on.

Appears that the site is under construction. These updates are from Facebook.

1907393_10203113123602055_7392368632390053378_n.jpg

10488003_10203113123482052_290766095391333985_n.jpg

I stopped by late yesterday as the crew was finishing up. The foreman is very nice and I spent at least 10 minutes answering all of his questions about the car! He mentioned that the opening for this site is in about 5-½ weeks. Hopefully the delay getting started means no delays during construction.

I stopped by late yesterday as the crew was finishing up. The foreman is very nice and I spent at least 10 minutes answering all of his questions about the car! He mentioned that the opening for this site is in about 5-½ weeks. Hopefully the delay getting started means no delays during construction.

Thanks for the update. Interesting time frame. It seems like the recent locations have been going up in about 4 weeks. Regardless its almost here!

Pretty cool, keep us updated, I need this in two weeks :) Or at least on my way back from Florida. The stretch Albany, NY to Hamilton Marketplace, NJ is 200mi. With a Thule box and a full car (3 adults & 3 kids), just a bit of head wind and it could be a bit of a stretch.

This Supercharger will remove 37mi from the distance from/to Albany, NY.

Consider Greenwich CT to shorten the distance to Albany SC and take the Taconic State Parkway North to Albany.

I just checked it out, it is 45mi detour (50min) but I might consider it going south (during the night, less traffic) and since my return trip will be in a month or so I guess Edison, NJ should be up and running.

In the other hand, if there is not much wind I will probably start with a lower speed and try to make it straight to Hamilton Marketplace. If any unexpected occurs and consumption is on the high side then I could cut with the I-287 and reach Greenwich.

I just checked it out, it is 45mi detour (50min) but I might consider it going south (during the night, less traffic) and since my return trip will be in a month or so I guess Edison, NJ should be up and running.

In the other hand, if there is not much wind I will probably start with a lower speed and try to make it straight to Hamilton Marketplace. If any unexpected occurs and consumption is on the high side then I could cut with the I-287 and reach Greenwich.
Albany to Hamilton should be faster if you go a little slower but directly, rather than detouring. We did it three weeks ago no problem. Just get a good, full start (255+ rated) and keep it to 70 until you see how you're doing with wind.

If it's cutting close, you can also call the Garden State Plaza showroom to see if you can borrow their HPWC. And as you say, on your return Edison will likely be up and running!

HI, just a newbie TESLA here and waiting anticipation of the Tesla Charging station here in Central NJ, this is going to be a 8 stall unit and in a great LOCALE, and the irony of the whole location is that it's in MENLO PARK, near the home home of his Research lab and TAE took advantage of poor Nicola and his talents...................so who has the last laugh?????:)) Anyway, these construction guys are flying and they are very courteous and accommodating answering any question we throw at them ..............plus big boxes delivered there with the charge units(??) with the TESLA
100_6959.JPG
100_6960.JPG
LOGO and the words DRIVE SLOWLY stenciled on the wood..way coool!!!!!

ALBANY SC<=> HAMILTON SC could be a tight trip for some of us until EDISON SC becomes operational. Going South one easy bailout would be Nissan on Rt23 just west of I-287. At that point you have 75 miles remaining to Hamilton SC so you would have a good idea if you need additional charging. Free charging and open 24 hours. Probably less busy than those on the east side of I-287.

Going North you can go to Greenwich SC and then Taconic State Pkwy if the 212 miles is too much OR exit I-287 @Saugerties, NY and travel up Rt9W instead. On 9W you can go 45 or 50 mph a good bit of the way and save battery as well as tolls.
--

ALBANY SC<=> HAMILTON SC could be a tight trip for some of us until EDISON SC becomes operational. Going South one easy bailout would be Nissan on Rt23 just west of I-287. At that point you have 75 miles remaining to Hamilton SC so you would have a good idea if you need additional charging. Free charging and open 24 hours. Probably less busy than those on the east side of I-287.

Going North you can go to Greenwich SC and then Taconic State Pkwy if the 212 miles is too much OR exit I-287 @Saugerties, NY and travel up Rt9W instead. On 9W you can go 45 or 50 mph a good bit of the way and save battery as well as tolls.
--

I just drove from DC to Cooperstown, NY through Albany. Northbound, i used Newark, Hamilton, Merritt Pky (CT), Albany. I probably could have skipped CT, but i needed to stretch my legs anyway, the drive is beautiful, and why be worried, even in the least, about range.

Here is an update from this morning. 8 Stalls are being installed. The label says GEN I so they should be 90kW however, there are 12 inverters inside. (I'm not getting anyone in trouble since a picture of the cabinet content had already been posted here: http://insideevs.com/rare-look-inside-tesla-supercharger/)

Perhaps a sticker with (120kW GEN II) will be affixed on the original label later. Still looking at two more weeks at least.
2014-08-01 08.55.49.jpg
2014-08-01 08.52.59.jpg
2014-08-01 08.52.35.jpg
2014-08-01 08.51.55.jpg