Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Edison, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was there last Thursday and called Tesla to report one of the stalls that wasn't working, they said someone was coming out the next day. Being that you said all stalls were busy I'm guessing they fixed it but this location is known to have low charging speeds.

I was there last Thursday and called Tesla to report one of the stalls that wasn't working, they said someone was coming out the next day. Being that you said all stalls were busy I'm guessing they fixed it but this location is known to have low charging speeds.
Yes, was there again today and it was slow (only two other cars) but not as slow as the other day.

I was at Edison last night. Highest rate my car hit was 60KWH while charging (started at 60, went down to 44, then back up to 60, then eventually down to the 30's when nearing completion). This is while no another car was charging, only me. I have never experienced higher than 60KWH at this location. Another owner that arrived when I was about to leave was experiencing the same thing. First time I ever went there and it was wide open when I arrived (around 5:30pm). Usually this place is packed.

I was at Edison last night. Highest rate my car hit was 60KWH while charging (started at 60, went down to 44, then back up to 60, then eventually down to the 30's when nearing completion). This is while no another car was charging, only me. I have never experienced higher than 60KWH at this location. Another owner that arrived when I was about to leave was experiencing the same thing. First time I ever went there and it was wide open when I arrived (around 5:30pm). Usually this place is packed.

Last summer I was able to get higher charging rates starting over 100 kWh with tapering as expected at this location. I recently charged at the Allentown SCh and I got the slowest rate ever there with a peak 62 kWh @ 45% SOC. I always got >100 kWh at that location previously. I'm not sure if the slow rates are related to low temperature or if cars are being throttled or if the superchargers are not being maintained? I charged at Tannersville last week and it started low, slowly ramped up to about 90 kWh, maintained that for awhile then slowly ramped downed. It took 30 minutes to go from 33% to 80% SOC. Then it took another 30 minutes to get to 92% SOC. I think Tesla may have changed the charging algorithm or there is something up with my battery. I'll see if I can get a high charging rate once the weather gets warmer here in the northeast. 90D battery with 11k miles and 13 months old.

One of the times I was there, I found one of the end stalls to be much slower - it was also empty. I moved a couple of chargers over and instantly got a higher rate. I hit ~mid 80 kwh just a couple weeks ago in Edison and that was with it packed to brim.

C04C69E5-F3EB-46A9-8135-1F093F793CC2.jpeg
Just noticed the Superchargers are now the newer style. ( Didn’t need much so didn’t check charge rates.)

Reactions: Thinkje and Acps110
Does anyone know if they’re adding more Superchargers here? Definitely looks like it.
Photos? I was there ~5 days ago and saw no evidence of construction, although it was late and I wasn't on the lookout for evidence. More spaces would certainly help; both Edison and nearby Woodbridge have been full or nearly full every time I've been there in recent months.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
Does anyone know if they’re adding more Superchargers here? Definitely looks like it.

Attachments

• 0116F1BF-B26A-4015-9915-407F51CA809E.jpeg
    0116F1BF-B26A-4015-9915-407F51CA809E.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 82E99DF3-3B1C-47F8-91D4-7C4C069E4E4E.jpeg
    82E99DF3-3B1C-47F8-91D4-7C4C069E4E4E.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 89
Thanks for posting the photo. Certainly possible but so far inconclusive from what I can see. It looks like you had your back to the existing superchargers when you took the photo. If that's correct, then the area behind the fence does appear to contain electrical equipment (according to Google Maps).

One possibility is they're conducting repairs on the existing chargers -- on my recent trip there, one stall wasn't working (and someone there said he was about to call Tesla), and the others were slow to get started.

I asked the company doing the install. They are going to be EVGO chargers. Not Tesla superchargers apparently.

Looks like the Electrify America chargers in Bridgewater. Any idea if EvGo is partnered with them? Sure looks like VW is chasing Tesla around and able to install much faster.

BTW, does anyone know why the Edison chargers aren't maintained? I usually see 30-60kw max.

Looks like the Electrify America chargers in Bridgewater. Any idea if EvGo is partnered with them? Sure looks like VW is chasing Tesla around and able to install much faster.

BTW, does anyone know why the Edison chargers aren't maintained? I usually see 30-60kw max.

I see the same issue there. Slow charging compared to other chargers. Maybe cuz I charge there frequently due to it being close to my office.

Yeah, I can confirm relatively slow charging rates. I tried three different stalls and the fastest I’m able to get is 54 kW, or about 225 mph on empty battery. One charger was not even working. Yesterday I was able to charge up to 500 mph in Allentown Pennsylvania, so definitely there’s an issue with these chargers.

Yeah, I can confirm relatively slow charging rates. I tried three different stalls and the fastest I’m able to get is 54 kW, or about 225 mph on empty battery. One charger was not even working. Yesterday I was able to charge up to 500 mph in Allentown Pennsylvania, so definitely there’s an issue with these chargers.

Wow 500mph charging. What year model S do you have? I’ve gotten as high as 335-340mph