TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Ehrenberg, AZ

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by Chuq, Nov 9, 2019.

1. BustinJeebs

BustinJeebs Member

I know it’s V3 but people charging near me were only getting barely above 100kW at low SoC. Quartzite was 12/16

2. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Got it. But why would anyone wait here if Quartzsite had stalls available?

3. BustinJeebs

BustinJeebs Member

1 is broken and so it shows 7/8, misleading people. Also, in-car nav routes you to Ehrenberg and tells you to charge for 50 mins (near 100% LR RWD) if you are going from PHX to LA. And because Quartzsite sucks and most people know that.

4. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

When I see 7/8 occupied, I assume it’s full. Because often it’s just one car pulling out and another pulling in. And lol at people mindlessly following the Nav. I’m sure you’re right, but all I can think of when I hear that is Scarecrow singing “If I Only Had a Brain.”

• Funny x 1
  5. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

If you've never been to Quartzite, pray you never will have to! It is, after 10,000 road-trip miles in US and Western Canada, the worst Supercharging site ever. If you like prison style filthy bathrooms, Quartzite is ideal.

Our second, longer range Tesla has the advantage of allowing us to skip Quartzite. Well worth the $50K. :rolleyes:

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Believe it or not, I have been to Quartzsite... a few times. While I understand the frustration with the charge rates and the lines, I never quite understand all the hate for the location. I doubt it's even bottom 10% off all the supercharger sites (in my opinion of course). Try supercharging in Joplin, Missouri.

• Like x 1
  7. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

They have that cool Rock Shop. A real draw for geologists. Yuma is actually near a prison. I'd take Quartzsite over Yuma any day.

• Like x 1
  8. SpaceAggie

SpaceAggie Member

There was a line of at least 6 cars waiting to charge at Ehrenberg on Saturday afternoon. I had enough range to skip and make it to the Rancho Mirage urban chargers, which had plenty open and got the full 72 kW rate.

• Informative x 2
  9. BustinJeebs

BustinJeebs Member

Came back through this charger today at around noon and I was lucky to be first in line. Shortly after me, 6 Tesla’s pull in and had to wait 20 mins before someone else pulled out.

10. ragedogg69

ragedogg69 Member

From a google review: "Charge was good. Ambiance was just missing a good dumpster fire to really bring home the theme of desolation."

• Funny x 11
  11. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

In fairness, you could say the same thing about Quartzsite, but you could say it about the entire town of Quartzsite, not just the supercharger location :) Sometimes Tesla just has to work with what they can.

• Funny x 2
  12. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Let me guess that you never set foot in the Carl's Jr. restrooms - those stainless steel fixtures must have come from the Joplin prison. :eek:

• Funny x 2
  13. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

I've been in there multiple times. While I didn't think it was nice, I also didn't think it warranted all the derision it has received in this thread. My expectations are pretty low when it comes to restrooms at fast food restaurants.

• Like x 1
  14. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

I hear that, but there's low expectations and not meeting low expectations.

But, this is about Ehrenberg. Decent options in a very busy truck stop.

15. WFrank

WFrank Member

On Jan 23rd, we stopped to check out the V3. On our car map Ehrenberg showed Supercharger as closed. There was one stall with the cable wrapped in yellow tape.
    We had about a 50% SOC, but still got a rate of charge of 400 + mph, on the far left stall. Cabinets are not yet labeled.
    my wife loves Wendy’s Frosties, so she thinks this is a great place to Supercharge.

• Like x 1
  16. WFrank

WFrank Member

We’ve been to 170 different Superchargers, from L. A. to Halifax, Nova Scotia and Kennewick, Washington to Tampa, Florida and this one isn’t to bad at all. Some much nicer than others, but overall TESLA has done a nice job of building a network across the world that no one else is close to, and we have driven over 130,000 miles across the continent and have had a ball.

• Like x 3
  17. ambudriver03

ambudriver03 Member

@WFrank I'm going to be driving through that area on my way from SBD county to Scottsdale, is it actually open and running at limited capacity?

I just wonder if i need a full charge leaving Indio or if i can cruise... I've had rotten luck at Quartzsite the last 2 times i've been through there (only getting 40-50kw and having a battery of 10%)

18. WFrank

WFrank Member

To ambudriver03
    We were there yesterday and got a good charge rate.
    It was also showing closed on our car map, but we charged there at about 300 -400 mph with out a problem.

19. WFrank

WFrank Member

We have traveled 130,000+ miles in our Teslas and always carry our Mobile Charging Unit with a NEMA 14-50 adapter, so if we hit a broken Supercharger, we can stop at an RV Park.

Down load the App RVParky and that gives you 5,000 more places to charge.
    Over 3 1/2 years only HAD to use One, but it is a nice back up. We have used RV parks about a half dozen times, for convenience.

• Helpful x 4
    • Informative x 1
  20. ambudriver03

ambudriver03 Member

Thanks so much.

It was definitely running at diminished capacity (I maxed out at about 80kw) but it was more than enough so we could skip quartzsite and continue straight to buckeye (our final destination last night)
    20200124_230400.jpg 20200124_230257.jpg

• Informative x 2