Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ehrenberg, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went through here again this weekend (Fri and Sunday night) seems to be back to full power.

Came in around 20% SoC and topped out around 190kw or so.

20200131_223353.jpg

Stopped at Ehrenberg charger on Thu 2/27/20. Only 3 stalls in use, though the Nav said 4 were full. Charging speed was great, 130 kW even with nearly 50% SOC. The nearby Best Western hotel was *not* friendly though; they told us sternly that bathrooms are *not* for public use.

is there a consensus at this point as to whether it's better to stop here or quartzsite on the drive from LA? i'm going to be driving through next week on thursday morning, trying to minimize my stopping time obviously. 3 RWD LR, so we will probably roll into ehrenberg with around 25% or quartzsite with 15%-ish, according to ABRP...

i'll probably have to stop again at buckeye because we won't have access to charging where we're staying, so i'm exclusively public charging for the five days we'll be in phoenix. will probably want to get a decent charge built up before even getting to surprise...even more of a reason to try to minimize charging time at the first stop.

Ehrenberg has faster charging, and a little better food and convenience store options. But, only 4 charger stalls, so it could more easily be full. Quartzsite has more stalls, but if you want anything more than Carl’s Jr. you have to walk a ways. And last week when I was there, the Men’s restroom at CJ was out of order. I would recommend Ehrenberg.

Ehrenberg has faster charging, and a little better food and convenience store options. But, only 4 charger stalls, so it could more easily be full. Quartzsite has more stalls, but if you want anything more than Carl’s Jr. you have to walk a ways. And last week when I was there, the Men’s restroom at CJ was out of order. I would recommend Ehrenberg.
Oops, I was mixing up Ehrenberg and Needles (I was at both last week). Ehrenberg is 8 stalls. And it is V3, so it is definitely the better choice.

is there a consensus at this point as to whether it's better to stop here or quartzsite on the drive from LA? i'm going to be driving through next week on thursday morning, trying to minimize my stopping time obviously. 3 RWD LR, so we will probably roll into ehrenberg with around 25% or quartzsite with 15%-ish, according to ABRP...

i'll probably have to stop again at buckeye because we won't have access to charging where we're staying, so i'm exclusively public charging for the five days we'll be in phoenix. will probably want to get a decent charge built up before even getting to surprise...even more of a reason to try to minimize charging time at the first stop.
The Chandler and Tempe areas have a lot of 240 V 8 kW chargers at hotels which are free. Just have to know where to find them, plugshare seems to list them quite well.

If speed is your concern, then I would stop at Ehrenberg if Quartzsite is more than half full (assuming Ehrenberg has a space). But obviously if one is full and the other is not, I would stop at the one that has an open space as the difference in charge time is not that huge.

If it's a slow travel time and neither have many stalls occupied, it just comes down to your personal preference. Personally, I prefer Wendy's to Carls Jr so I would stop at Ehrenberg. Ehrenberg also has all the other truck stop amenities including (apparently) better bathrooms!

Lastly, it might depend on your direction of travel and whether or not you have charging where you are going. Like if you are going to PHX area and don't have charging where you are staying, it would make more sense to stop in Quartzsite since it's closer to PHX. That way you will arrive in PHX (or a PHX area supercharger) with a higher SOC.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ragedogg69 and IdaX
Lastly, it might depend on your direction of travel and whether or not you have charging where you are going. Like if you are going to PHX area and don't have charging where you are staying, it would make more sense to stop in Quartzsite since it's closer to PHX. That way you will arrive in PHX (or a PHX area supercharger) with a higher SOC.

i'm figuring i'll have to stop in buckeye to build up enough of a charge to get me through the first day or so. we're going for spring training games, mostly in peoria (so not far from surprise), but the first two days are in goodyear and scottsdale. will need a decent charge to get me around there, especially from surprise to scottsdale friday morning...although there is agua fria along the way there if i need it. i don't know that just stopping in quartzsite would get me enough to avoid that second stop, unless i sit there long enough to get to 100% which is obviously counterproductive...

The Chandler and Tempe areas have a lot of 240 V 8 kW chargers at hotels which are free. Just have to know where to find them, plugshare seems to list them quite well.

i've planned out a bit of it so far, there's a public L2 next to topgolf in scottsdale which is where i'll be friday morning, so i'm hoping to get at least 3 hours or so of charge there. any game we go to in peoria has L2 available, so i'm good there too provided we get there with a spot open (i think they only have two chargers). i think sunday we'll be in mesa, so that might be close enough to hit one of the tempe chargers on the way back to surprise after the game if needed.

basically, i'm fine with supercharging when needed throughout the weekend, even if it means going a little out of the way to get there...my main concern is making sure i get there thursday with enough of a reserve to get me through the first day and a half or so before i need to stop at one of the PHX superchargers.

just realized i didn't specify in my question post - we're staying with family in surprise, but will be all over the PHX area over the 4+ days we'll be there. not really related to the ehrenberg supercharger per se, but wanted to clarify from my original question.