Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Cerrito, CA (LIVE 3 Jul 2020, 14 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was passing through El Cerrito Plaza today and I noticed some interesting activities in this area.

Setup looks pretty familiar doesn't it?

Since start of January, Tesla has updated two new supercharger sites on their map. El Cerrito and Berkeley. This seems to be El Cerrito location. Next challenge is to find the Berkeley one

IMG_0700.jpg IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0702.jpg

Looks to be at the bottom of this map, right by the Macaroni Grill. There's a Barnes and Nobles, Daiso, several food options, a grocery store. It's about 5 minutes from the highway, so seems better suited for an urban charger installation. The BART light rail station is close by as well. The construction looks like it goes all the way between the Macaroni Grill and the Better Hearing shop, so it could be more like 16 chargers.

Great find!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 9.45.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 9.45.19 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
Reactions: israndy
Nice work finding this. Note there's a lot we still don't know for sure about this Supercharger...for starters is this really the correct site? Seeing a construction permit, or Tesla-labeled equipment, would be very useful, and anyone with information like this is encouraged to contribute to the thread.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: Blu Zap and israndy
Nice work finding this. Note there's a lot we still don't know for sure about this Supercharger...for starters is this really the correct site? Seeing a construction permit, or Tesla-labeled equipment, would be very useful, and anyone with information like this is encouraged to contribute to the thread.

Bruce.

Dunno, but the pics kinda convinced me.

Dunno, but the pics kinda convinced me.

Sure, different people will have different criteria for being convinced. That's totally cool.

For the purposes of putting "under construction" in the thread title, we generally need some Tesla-labeled thing on site (plans, equipment crates, etc.). We don't have that yet, so that's why I made it "possibly under construction". That was my mindset when I wrote the comment above, sorry for not saying that explicitly. Generally I'll prefer to err on the side of caution in this area, but it hopefully will be moot sometime soon as construction progresses.

Bruce.

nice find OP

Or maybe even a mixer supercharger/urban supercharger? Kinda like the one that’s going up in Stockton?
The Stockton site that's under construction right now is a mix of V3 Superchargers for travelers and Destination Chargers because the site is at a hotel. I have not seen a site that's actually a mix of Urban and V2 or V3 Superchargers.

• There are 14 Stall bases in the location.
  • Between every 4-5 stall bases, they are building some taller bases that I don't know what the purpose of these taller stalls are. (Probably Light bases)
  • Next to each stall there are some metal poles which can be potentially used for signage
  • On a separate island behind the setup, just across the UPS Car in the photo, there is a base made for the equipments. That area is still empty and no branded hardware is in location yet.
  • I see a lot of similarities between these setups and Tesla Urban Chargers.
IMG_0712.jpg IMG_0713.jpg IMG_0714.jpg IMG_0715.jpg IMG_0717.jpg

• There are 14 Stall bases in the location.
  • Between every 4-5 stall bases, they are building some taller bases that I don't know what the purpose of these taller stalls are. (Probably Light bases)
  • Next to each stall there are some metal poles which can be potentially used for signage
  • On a separate island behind the setup, just across the UPS Car in the photo, there is a base made for the equipments. That area is still empty and no branded hardware is in location yet.
  • I see a lot of similarities between these setups and Tesla Urban Chargers.
View attachment 503381 View attachment 503382 View attachment 503385 View attachment 503388 View attachment 503390
Thanks for the great pics. Yes, those are the bases for Tesla's urban-style supercharger charging posts and the pads behind where those will be installed show the conduit pattern for V2 supercharger cabinets (which Urbans use).

I was however looking around the city to see if I can locate Berkeley Location. No luck yet! It might be because their construction has not been started. Usually It is very time consuming for permits to be issued in Berkeley.

I have seen an area close to 99 Ranch Market Parking in Albany being separated but not much construction activities in that area. That location is strategic. Close to Highway Exit, Not super busy in comparison with other locations in Berkeley and close to Shopping Areas and local shops (99 Ranch, Costco, etc)

Having that said, it is on the edge of Albany and Richmond Annex and very close to El Cerrito Supercharger. So it might not be the location.

Other potential places in Berkeley are: Safeway Parking lot (2 in Berkeley), Target Parking Lot (Albany), Berkeley Bowl Parking Lot (2 Locations), Berkeley Marina Parking Space, Tesla Service Center area in Berkeley et al. I see Target as another very good candidate as it is just accessible from Highway 580 Service Road and has got enough parking space for this project.

If I see any changes, I will keep you updated!