Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Dorado, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These new sites on the Tesla web site are always so aspirational, it seems a little premature to discuss them.

I just called the El Dorado building permit department. They said they DO NOT have any form of building permit application for Tesla charging stations. They also don’t have building permits posted on-line. I’ll call again sometime around Halloween…. No need to pester those folks for news that likely isn’t happening any time soon.

Edit: supercharge.info lists a permit for the Turnpike Service station “near” El Dorado, not “in“ El Dorado. I don’t know where that info came from.

Reactions: mociaf9
Emporia is a v3 location, so it provides 250 kW. I don’t know where you saw that it was only 150 kW.

As far as El Dorado goes, there is indication of construction for a new EV charging station at the Towanda Service Center on the Kansas Turnpike, but there is absolutely no indication that this is a Tesla Supercharger. There is a fence around the site and a new concrete pad, possibly for a utility transformer.

Since there is no direct indication that this is from Tesla, please DO NOT count this as construction having started!

2E36133D-2C51-4CBF-990A-8AEAE70C1774.jpeg

F0223EA2-03CF-430C-AE6F-08A1B00AED7D.jpeg

1B0623AB-3581-4BB3-89D4-EE44D5A0CD44.jpeg

Last edited:
Emporia is a v3 location, so it provides 250 kW. I don’t know where you saw that it was only 150 kW.

As far as El Dorado goes, there is indication of construction for a new EV charging station at the Towanda Service Center on the Kansas Turnpike, but there is absolutely no indication that this is a Tesla Supercharger. There is a fence around the site and a new concrete pad, possibly for a utility transformer.

Since there is no direct indication that this is from Tesla, please DO NOT count this as construction having started!

View attachment 824029

View attachment 824030

View attachment 824032
Thanks for this update and the pictures! You are right about Emporia--not sure where it got in my head that it was a 150.

View attachment 824029

View attachment 824030

View attachment 824032

That, in my opinion, is site prep for an 8-stall prefabricated Supercharger installation.

Reactions: PStewart
I drove by today. No visible difference from last week. I did walk into the gas station today to inquire and the guy at the counter confirmed it was going to be a Tesla location.

I was thinking about this during the week and wondering if this was the look for the new prefabricated construction sites. My brain is still calibrated to the original installation method.

These new sites on the Tesla web site are always so aspirational, it seems a little premature to discuss them.

I just called the El Dorado building permit department. They said they DO NOT have any form of building permit application for Tesla charging stations. They also don’t have building permits posted on-line. I’ll call again sometime around Halloween…. No need to pester those folks for news that likely isn’t happening any time soon.

Edit: supercharge.info lists a permit for the Turnpike Service station “near” El Dorado, not “in“ El Dorado. I don’t know where that info came from.
This thread was created based on the location at supercharge.info. Since Towanda is closer than El Dorado, it's possible this thread will need to be renamed eventually. If that's the case, just report the thread and admins can change the title here and the name at supercharge.info.

On our way home from Tucumcari NM, the Wichita stop is about lunchtime (slightly afterwards) next to an Applebees and the car needs a longer stop. The car can charge faster than Applebees can take our order and deliver it....by the time we take 2 bites the car is like "Hey, you coming?" LOL

Stopped to charge at the Towanda service center Chargepoint chargers today (8/18). Talked to one of the workers and he confirmed that they were installing Tesla superchargers. While I was charging a flatbed semi pulled up with the transformer and Tesla chargers. The worker I talked with said he thought the chargers should be installed by next Thursday. I would think they will be working by the end of the month at the latest.

Received this email today from the Kansas Turnpike:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 2, 2022

New electric vehicle charging stations open on Kansas Turnpike

WICHITA, Kan.— Just in time for the holiday weekend, three Tesla Supercharging stations have opened at service areas along the Kansas Turnpike:
  • Lawrence Service Area (Mile Marker 209, I-70/KTA)
  • Topeka Service Area (Mile Marker 188, I-70/KTA)
  • Towanda Service Area (Mile Marker 65, I-35/KTA)
Located adjacent to the service areas buildings, the new Tesla Superchargers stations will help Tesla drivers stay charged anywhere. There are at eight Superchargers available at the Topeka and Towanda service areas, and 12 available at the Lawrence service area.
“We began making electric vehicle charging available in 2019 based upon feedback received in our annual customer satisfaction survey,” said Steve Hewitt, KTA’s Chief Executive Officer. “We’re excited for these Superchargers to become a reality for our Tesla vehicle customers.”
###
Editor’s Note: Photos of new station available in this album.
About KTA:
For 65 years, the Kansas Turnpike Authority (KTA) maintains 236 miles of user-fee supported roadway from the Oklahoma border to Kansas City. KTA doesn’t receive state or federal tax funds. Instead, toll revenue pays for preservation and modernization of the Turnpike system. KTA’s Strategic Plan supports organizational goals with four strategic initiatives, including a transition to cashless tolling in 2024. KTA’s mission is to move Kansas forward by operating a safe, reliable and customer-valued turnpike system in a fiscally responsible, businesslike manner.
For more information, contact:
Rachel Bell | Director of Business Services & Customer Relations
316.652.2673 | [email protected]