Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Paso, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I am moving to El Paso. Thinking about driving from Houston in the Tesla and keep it in El Paso. I will not have a house or apartment there. Is there fast reliable charging station? I don't see any super charger in the area. Any tips for the trip from Houston to El Paso?

Hello everyone, I am moving to El Paso. Thinking about driving from Houston in the Tesla and keep it in El Paso. I will not have a house or apartment there. Is there fast reliable charging station? I don't see any super charger in the area. Any tips for the trip from Houston to El Paso?

There is a Supercharger in El Paso -- that is what this thread is all about. Whether you should utilize that as your regular charging source is a different discussion.

You don't mention the battery size of your Tesla, but you will likely have two places along I-10 between Houston and El Paso where you will have issues. The first is fairly easy. There is no Supercharger in San Antonio, so with a large battery you might need to slow down to make the 260 miles from Columbus to Junction. A better option might be a simple deviation to San Marcos to the Supercharger there

The big problem is that there is no Supercharger in Fort Stockton, TX.You likely will need to stop for slow charging in either Iraan, TX or Balmorhea, TX. You could theoretically make it if you fully charge in Ozona (the Supercharger is at a Quality Inn) and drive 60-65 mph all the way (the speed limit is 80).

You may find it useful to read this thread that you posted your question in.

There is a Supercharger in El Paso -- that is what this thread is all about. Whether you should utilize that as your regular charging source is a different discussion.

You don't mention the battery size of your Tesla, but you will likely have two places along I-10 between Houston and El Paso where you will have issues. The first is fairly easy. There is no Supercharger in San Antonio, so with a large battery you might need to slow down to make the 260 miles from Columbus to Junction. A better option might be a simple deviation to San Marcos to the Supercharger there

The big problem is that there is no Supercharger in Fort Stockton, TX.You likely will need to stop for slow charging in either Iraan, TX or Balmorhea, TX. You could theoretically make it if you fully charge in Ozona (the Supercharger is at a Quality Inn) and drive 60-65 mph all the way (the speed limit is 80).

P85 is the model...I wish I could do 80 mph. Read the thread, good info. I plan to charge at the super charger once a week.

• Disagree
Reactions: CSFTN
A picture from plug share.

193686.jpg

I'm curious: how did you jump the gap to El Paso? Overnight at an RV? Any recommendations? What are you driving?
Charged at the Roadrunner RV Park in Deming, for an hour or so. They have several, metered 14-50 outlets, and are quite accommodating of EV's. Use the drop box for payment if departing after normal business hours. I think the office closes at 7:00 pm. We have a 2016 Model S 90D, with 8000 miles.

Charged at the Roadrunner RV Park in Deming, for an hour or so. They have several, metered 14-50 outlets, and are quite accommodating of EV's. Use the drop box for payment if departing after normal business hours. I think the office closes at 7:00 pm. We have a 2016 Model S 90D, with 8000 miles.
Also, topped off in South Tucson at the Baggins NRG Chademo site, using a Tesla/Chademo adapter. Had to reset three times due to the 30 minute session limit.

No supercharger in San Antonio, but there are high capacity L2's at the new Service Center in the north part of the city, just off I-10. Eventually they will have six of them commissioned.

No supercharger in San Antonio, but there are high capacity L2's at the new Service Center in the north part of the city, just off I-10. Eventually they will have six of them commissioned.
Yes. No idea if those will be available for public use -- often they are not at service/sales locations. It is 1/2 mile to the nearest restaurant.

There is also a CHAdeMO at the Nissan dealer in Boerne. They are not chasing off Teslas as yet, although I imagine they might if we are there on a regular basis. The charger is free so far -- it has the ability to take some mysterious "card", but just plug in and press start. It works fine, and employees come by frequently and offer restrooms. I have not stayed there more than 30 minutes so I don't know if it shuts down at that point.

Reactions: Snerruc
"The circuitous route from Phoenix metro to El Paso TX and beyond". Holbrook AZ, Gallup NM, Albuquerque NM,
Truth or Consequences NM, El Paso West (Rudy's Country Store), destination. This is not at all what I had in mind when I bought the car. A thirteen hour trek which, once I-10 is closed, will be more like eight hours with comfortable stops along the way. OK.... I know all to well this huge undertaking is global in scope as superchargers are being build everywhere. I'm just venting. Please Tesla, close the I-10 and I-40 gaps. Ahhhhhh I feel better. Ooo as long as I'm venting, a Supercharger in Safford AZ will allow us to shave off 40 miles the PHX ELP route while going on a much nicer drive. I'm done..... for now!

Behind Rudy’s is a new Jack in the Box. Two new exit roads were cut through as well.

Photos

Attachments

• D3BCFCC7-AECE-4AF9-B427-D2FA29794EF9.jpeg
    D3BCFCC7-AECE-4AF9-B427-D2FA29794EF9.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 98E1F5D4-E0E3-4A4F-8FD8-5DF428DA0477.jpeg
    98E1F5D4-E0E3-4A4F-8FD8-5DF428DA0477.jpeg
    501.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 35B4A06E-5D3E-485A-AACC-CDDE827348DE.jpeg
    35B4A06E-5D3E-485A-AACC-CDDE827348DE.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 116
  • 53D64355-7497-45EF-BCB3-D1C8C8AFE450.jpeg