Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Portal, CA (LIVE 2 Nov 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.14.02 PM.png
I figured I might as well start a thread on this one. I realize these "coming soon" locations are more aspirational than anything but boy would this one really fit the bill for all the Yosemite travelers, especially in the winter time when there can a bit more range anxiety than other times. Besides, maybe they're more than aspirational since Tesla bothered to include the quarter they will show up so perhaps sooner than later.

I am hopeful that this one will happen. This will ease the difficulty with Yosemite particularly if you go up to Tioga and over to 395. Tiny little Lee Vining has a charger now but not a supercharger.

My older 85 is down to 83% of its battery, so the more superchargers the merrier.

View attachment 624379 I figured I might as well start a thread on this one. I realize these "coming soon" locations are more aspirational than anything but boy would this one really fit the bill for all the Yosemite travelers, especially in the winter time when there can a bit more range anxiety than other times. Besides, maybe they're more than aspirational since Tesla bothered to include the quarter they will show up so perhaps sooner than later.

Been waiting for about 4 years now for a Supercharger on CA-140 route to Yosemite National Park. It is the only all winter route and my wife's favorite route. Been & still looking forward to this being built.

I'll take a guess. Maybe the furthest east part of town at the Yosemite View Lodge. Google maps shows come construction but not sure how current this is. (yes I'm being overly optimistic that there is already construction)

View attachment 625372
I drove through there a week ago and had my eyes peeled in both Mariposa and El Portal. No dice for either place: nothing in regards to construction.

• Informative
Reactions: Janus and McManX
I am super excited about this one. In addition to being a great stop on the way in/out during the winter, it's less than a 30 min drive from the valley. So for folks staying a few days, but driving around to different areas, a quick 1-2 hour detour (say, after dinner) to top off would be totally doable. (Especially since the L2 chargers are so few.)

I did finally hear back from them:
"Either Tesla has not submitted the project yet or it is on National Park Service land. If it is on Park Service land then we will not have jurisdiction and the permit will be processed through the NPS. "
I think it’s highly likely to be on NPS land. I’d have to no clue where to even start looking for permits there.

Reactions: goldengate
The site will be at one of the hotels in the Merced River canyon along 140. That hotel is in contact with Tesla and PG&E, but may not have applied for a permit with the County at this time. Having recently spoken with the hotel manager about this, I believe that the project is moving forward, but that is all I can say for now. The fact that Tesla recently moved up the likely completion date for this site on their Supercharger map is another good sign that this will happen.

Last edited:
Mariposa planning got back to me and said:
"If the charging station will be placed at the Lodge then the permit will be processed through Mariposa County. To date, we have not received a permit application for the charging stations." @MarcoRP
It always seemed more likely that any brand-specific chargers would be a private land, not NPS land; due to their historic aversion to installing brand-specific chargers/EVSEs.

Reactions: kevin1
When Tesla installed their destination charger at the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley the deal was that they also had to put in a generic charger. The complication was they they could not easily (permits) dig a new trench so they had to work with an existing electrical facility near the parking lot with limited amperage. IIRC correctly, the Tesla destination charger got 60 amps and the generic charger only about 10 amps. So, officially there were chargers for all brands, but Teslas could charge a whole lot faster! Of course at the time, it was only Teslas that could get there because of the charging infrastructure or lack thereof in the rest of the State and country.

Posting to keep an eye on this thread...

I was searching the Tesla Supercharger map a few minutes ago since I read about an expansion of the network due to Tesla's announcement of allowing other EVs to use it. While scrolling around the map I saw the planned installation in El Portal. Yosemite View Lodge is our regular place to stay at Yosemite and is on our usual route (140) into the Valley. Our last trip there in my 3 was via Groveland/120 in Sept. 2019. I had asked the staff if there was any way to charge my car overnight and they offered a 120V outlet in the parking lot but as it turned out I didn't need it (used the destination charger in the park).

While the drive was nice and lunch in Groveland great, I much prefer driving 140. The lodge has nice rooms, especially if you get one next to the river. The only drawback is no/weak cell (AT&T) coverage there.

Ref: Yosemite trip, stay near Groveland Supercharger or at a Destination Charger location?