Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ellensburg, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry. Oops, I must have read that into the post. Unfortunately, this still doesn't alleviate ICEing in Ellensburg. From Kennewick, travel to the Seattle area requires Ellensburg (yes, it IS uphill, against the wind, and we do get below zero temperature) and with the M3, there will be even more need. Adding Snoqualmie or Moses Lake, while useful, are not as well situated as EBurg. I've been traveling between the Tri-Cities and Seattle for over 50 years and almost always stop in EBurg, unless bringing my own food and stopping at Rye Grass or Indian John rest areas.
You're talking about a very specific group of people traveling between Tri Cities and Seattle. There are also people out there traveling other routes :)

IMG_0426.JPG All full Friday.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I find I stop at Indian John Rest area nearly every time I make that trip....it's about at the range limit of my bladder from Seattle. It helps that the scenery is terrific. What are the pros and cons of putting a supercharger there?

Cons:
No commercial food
There is presently no good connection between EB and WB rest areas
Are there issues with building superchargers on Gov't sites? There are several with J1772s.
How hard would it be to provide sufficient power?

Pros:
Pretty
24/7 rest rooms
Close to Cle Elum, 21 miles from EBurg.
Plenty of places to put the chargers.

Any others?

-Snortybartfast

I find I stop at Indian John Rest area nearly every time I make that trip....it's about at the range limit of my bladder from Seattle. It helps that the scenery is terrific. What are the pros and cons of putting a supercharger there?

Cons:
No commercial food
Are there issues with building superchargers on Gov't sites? There are several with J1772s.

Pros:
Pretty
24/7 rest rooms

Any others?

-Snortybartfast
Unfortunately, it's against the law to vend (sell) on highway right-of-ways. If Tesla wants to give away free electricity, then it might be possible. However, I think Chad already brought up the lack of 3-phase 480V power at most of these locations. IIRC, the J1772's at two rest areas on I-5 were put in and the electricity is paid for by the Seattle EVA.
http://adoptacharger.org/what-we-do/seva

Cons:
No commercial food

Pros:
Pretty
24/7 rest rooms

Any others?

-Snortybartfast
We used to stop here all the time too. Now we've got to hold it an extra 15 min or so to Ellensburg.

There's nothing keeping them from putting one in Cle Elum though! Would be nice too as it's the intersection (at least for Westbound travelers) with hwy 970/97 up to Leavenworth and Wenatchee.

Reactions: wipster
All full and two waiting today, Sunday. Lots of folks traveling to and from places (Seattle, Spokane, Kennewick, one CO plate). One X, two 3s, and four Ss. Another Ellensburg site with at least eight stalls can’t come quick enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, I had a fault on stall 2B at the Ellensburg WA supercharger around 2pm on 4/30/18. 2A and 1B were only supplying 70-80 KW (just a bit lower than normal), while 3A put out the expected 100KW. I arrived after 1.5 hr driving and at 12% SOC (65 F). There was nobody on any other stall, so no pairing issues. Not a big deal, but I notified Tesla.

This location just isn't good. I've had slightly low power here basically every time I've used it and that's with two different cars. Getting 80kW instead of 115kW or whatever isn't that big a deal if there's no crowding, but when it's a crowded (in summer and on weekends) 5 stall supercharger, it can really cause cascading problems.

I believe there's a power source issue with this supercharger, so I'm not necessarily rooting for them to expand this location (there's also no room for it here). Instead I'm hoping they build Yakima and especially Snoqualmie/North Bend soon so people can (hopefully) learn to avoid this location.

The worst problem is that there is nothing south of Seattle or even on the south end of Seattle, so anyone travelling from eastern WA to some place south of Seattle is forced to use Ellensburg and often forced to charge to near full. Also with high speeds, a long distance and elevation change, most Teslas cannot easily make it from Seattle to Ritzville so they too are forced to charge at Ellensburg. Perhaps a Moses Lake supercharger would help for that problem.

• Love
Reactions: wipster
FYI, I had a fault on stall 2B at the Ellensburg WA supercharger around 2pm on 4/30/18. 2A and 1B were only supplying 70-80 KW (just a bit lower than normal), while 3A put out the expected 100KW. I arrived after 1.5 hr driving and at 12% SOC (65 F). There was nobody on any other stall, so no pairing issues. Not a big deal, but I notified Tesla.
I noticed this in the last month (on trips to Walla Walla and most recently, Ephrata) as well but didn't report it. :oops:

I did report it last year on a big trip through the West though. It's been a known issue for a while for sure.

I agree this spot in particular isn't good due to crowding and a funky power supply, but Ellensburg in general is. My bladder wouldn't make it to Yakima!

I happened to glance at a local paper at the Starbucks on Saturday and caught this article. I wonder if Tesla had been hoping to put an expanded Supercharger on this site before it fell through...

Land proposed for Ellensburg water park being sold in pieces

I’d like to see the new SC at the other exit. Plenty of open plots left. Anyone want to crowdsource a purchase and restaurant?

BTW, I looked around and didn’t see anything there, but...... check out my post in th Yakima thread.;)

Seattle to Kennewick: a little over 200 miles. To all those thinking of buying any electric, remember this: YOU NEED RANGE. If you skimp on range, you end up waiting in line for a charger. If you don't think this will be an issue, talk to those who got to wait. OR, drive very late or very early, on a weekday. OR, don't complain.

Reactions: PLUS EV