Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ellsworth, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No supercharger in Bar Harbor as of yet. I did find great free lvl 2 charging tho (Abbe Museum! You'll probably see it on PlugShare). I charged in Brewer, ME Supercharger as a lunch-time stop before headed into BH.

Did the same went we visited in early August. Since most of the speeds in under 55 MPH, we didnt "need" to super charge in Acadia and Bar Harbor. Model Y stayed under 250 wh/mi so it was very efficient.

Reactions: kayak1 and drx10
I check the Bar Harbor permits list once a week. No news. I'd guess the location will be the Hannaford lot in the middle of town but only 4 stalls given the tight parking. I'd rather Ellsworth get one first as destination charging would be find once on the island.

Reactions: jlv1 and kayak1
It has been pushed forward a year in 2018, 2019, 2020, and now 2021. Wouldn't hold my breath for 2022.

That and something in the Baxter state park/Allagash wilderness waterway that I am really not holding my breath for.

Each would be a big help to Maine and the Cybertruck. We really need to have coverage as canoes and kayaks on top of cars/trucks will eat range.

-Jason

That and something in the Baxter state park/Allagash wilderness waterway that I am really not holding my breath for.

Each would be a big help to Maine and the Cybertruck. We really need to have coverage as canoes and kayaks on top of cars/trucks will eat range.

-Jason
There’s a SC in Medway, near Baxter. Once Canada opens there are Chademos near Allagash.

FindUS map updated. Bar Harbor now says Q4 2021.
Good find, but I don’t believe it. I hope the SC is Ellsworth so one doesn’t have to fight the Bar Harbor traffic. Ellsworth is a lot more convenient for folks traveling Down East to Washington county, or Acadia Schoodic.

Camden is an interesting choice. Probably will be at the Hannafords, which already has a free J-1772.

Good find, but I don’t believe it. I hope the SC is Ellsworth so one doesn’t have to fight the Bar Harbor traffic. Ellsworth is a lot more convenient for folks traveling Down East to Washington county, or Acadia Schoodic.
Or Lamoine.

The one issue with putting the Supercharger in Ellsworth is that it could just be busy on the weekend travel days as people would be stopping while traveling, while closer to Bar Harbor it might spread out demand a bit more for tourists spending days there.

Camden is an interesting choice. Probably will be at the Hannafords, which already has a free J-1772.

Hannaford is the obvious location if they actually put one in Camden., ME. But if they put Superchargers there, it's for US-1 traffic only.

Belfast, ME would be on the I-95/ME-3/US-1 route, which ABRP says is faster than the I-95/I-395/US-1A to Ellsworth, ME because it's 14 miles shorter and has more efficient speeds. Freeport, ME to Camden, ME is 64 miles and ABRP says it only takes about 30% in an old 90D X. But if a bunch of people are exploring the Midcoast in their X and turning around at Camden, ME Belfast wouldn't help.

Or Lamoine.

The one issue with putting the Supercharger in Ellsworth is that it could just be busy on the weekend travel days as people would be stopping while traveling, while closer to Bar Harbor it might spread out demand a bit more for tourists spending days there.

Hannaford is the obvious location if they actually put one in Camden., ME. But if they put Superchargers there, it's for US-1 traffic only.

Belfast, ME would be on the I-95/ME-3/US-1 route, which ABRP says is faster than the I-95/I-395/US-1A to Ellsworth, ME because it's 14 miles shorter and has more efficient speeds. Freeport, ME to Camden, ME is 64 miles and ABRP says it only takes about 30% in an old 90D X. But if a bunch of people are exploring the Midcoast in their X and turning around at Camden, ME Belfast wouldn't help.
95 has sufficient coverage, there is are chargers in Augusta and Bangor. The only Supercharger on Route 1 is back in Freeport. When we go to Maine or Vermont we want to be on scenic roads not Interstates and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. The Superchargers in Vermont are well placed, Lebanon NH and Rutland Vt are good jumping off points and there are Superchargers in Brattleboro, Burlington and Montpelier so you can do their mountain roads conveniently. The Maine seacoast is not well covered, Camden fixes that. With a Supercharger in Camden you can take Route 1 all the way to Bar Harbor if you want, take 95 as far as Freeport and then get on Route 1 and stay on it.

I just spent a week in Rockland (actually, the car was there, plugged into a wall outlet while I was on the Schooner Heritage), and then drove up Rt. 1 (through Camden) up to Bar Harbor for a few nights. Rt. 1 traffic through Camden seems to be always backed up. I hope the don't put the SuC anywhere near the harbor.

In Bar Harbor, we stayed at the Acadia Hotel, which has 3 Tesla Wall Connectors (one 80A and two 48A). There were 2 other people with Tesla's staying the same time. The biggest problem with the hotel is their parking area is small, but the staff will reserve a spot with a charging station if you ask in advance. But we only charged the night we arrived and the night we left. That gave us plenty of charge for driving to where we were hiking; one day we just spent biking the carriage roads, and used the bus to get to/from the park.

But being there reminded me of the downtown Bar Harbor traffic and parking woes. They'd be far better off to put the SuC anywhere else, but downtown.

(I somewhat think putting it in the Jackson Lab parking lot would be a good compromise)

I just spent a week in Rockland (actually, the car was there, plugged into a wall outlet while I was on the Schooner Heritage), and then drove up Rt. 1 (through Camden) up to Bar Harbor for a few nights. Rt. 1 traffic through Camden seems to be always backed up. I hope the don't put the SuC anywhere near the harbor.

In Bar Harbor, we stayed at the Acadia Hotel, which has 3 Tesla Wall Connectors (one 80A and two 48A). There were 2 other people with Tesla's staying the same time. The biggest problem with the hotel is their parking area is small, but the staff will reserve a spot with a charging station if you ask in advance. But we only charged the night we arrived and the night we left. That gave us plenty of charge for driving to where we were hiking; one day we just spent biking the carriage roads, and used the bus to get to/from the park.

But being there reminded me of the downtown Bar Harbor traffic and parking woes. They'd be far better off to put the SuC anywhere else, but downtown.

(I somewhat think putting it in the Jackson Lab parking lot would be a good compromise)
Was hanging out on Mashnee after the sail tore off during Camden Classic. Wasn’t too bad as Lyman Morse marina has a handful of Tesla wall connectors. But agreed - SC should be located outside of town to avoid summer traffic if possible.

Permit E-1401080 issued 10/27/21 for a new Tesla Supercharger (no details in the permit) to be located for 225 High St, Ellsworth, ME. This is at the Hannaford Supermarket.

This permit is issued to our friends at Gordon Building and Excavation who have built out many of the New England Tesla supercharger sites, most recently including Franklin and Chicopee, MA and the V3 upgrade to Brattleboro, VT.

NOTE: This site could go under construction quickly (potentially already started?) as the crews doing both Franklin and Chicopee are done at both sites (other than some asphalt and striping work in Franklin). Anyone local to Ellsworth interested in providing regular updates?

@tes-s @MarcoRP @corywright

Last edited: