Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ellsworth, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Permit E-1401080 issued 10/27/21 for a new Tesla Supercharger (no details in the permit) to be located for 225 High St, Ellsworth, ME. This is at the Hannaford Supermarket.

This permit is issued to our friends at Gordon Building and Excavation who have built out many of the New England Tesla supercharger sites, most recently including Franklin and Chicopee, MA and the V3 upgrade to Brattleboro, VT.

NOTE: This site could go under construction quickly (potentially already started?) as the crews doing both Franklin and Chicopee are done at both sites (other than some asphalt and striping work in Franklin). Anyone local to Ellsworth interested in providing regular updates?

@tes-s @MarcoRP @corywright
It's about 94 miles from my house, I think that I could do a trip every couple of weeks to check.

It's about 94 miles from my house, I think that I could do a trip every couple of weeks to check.
I'm a bit closer than that, but it's about a 2 hour drive if taking a route I can sure would be comfortably within my Kona's range in late fall weather. CCS is lacking in eastern Maine at the moment. so the Dieselgate chargers at the Ellsworth and Belfast that should be open will definitely be welcome. They should be open by July 2022.

I think Maine sites have been completed quite quickly. And certainly the work can be done. The Augusta, ME Supercharger was built around this time of year.

Ellsworth, ME

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-1
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-1

To: Baileyville, ME - 123.6 miles
Diversion: 0.1 miles
To: End (Canada at Fort Kent, ME) - 329 miles*

* In Van Buren, ME, a driver could (soon :p) cross the border into Canada to use the Saint-Leonard, NB Supercharger, but that would be a significant time cost, even if not a large distance.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Any visits to check on status/progress @kayak1 @ItsNotAboutTheMoney would of course be appreciated.

We don't actually know when it will start, but given it's listed as a Q4'21 site on Tesla's coming soon map and that Gordon wrapped up two other sites, I think the odds are pretty good that this might be the next stop for them.
Might be worth keeping an eye on the "Coming Soon" Plugshare entry for the CCS/CHAdeMO stations in case there's any simultaneous work:
But no comments on there yet.

Given how far it is from Bar Harbor (it's 20 miles / 32 minutes away from the place we stayed at this past summer), at least it's next to a grocery store. It would be preferable to have a SuC on MDI, but this is the next best thing.
There's tons of L2 charging on MDI. Worst case, 1 hour would get you plenty of range to get back to Ellsworth.

You'd have to do a bunch of laps around the Island to run your battery low enough to need a SC on the island, assuming you hit Ellsworth on the way to and from the island.

20211107_161257.jpg20211107_161316.jpg
At the side of Hannaford.

This is the location in the Hannaford lot. It's the last 8 spots at the side.

ellsworth_me_supercharger_location.png

I didn't see any sign of construction of the "Dieselgate" CCS chargers, but there's room for them to be located next to the Superchargers.

I nearly missed checking the side of the store, but fortunately I noticed a small excavator.
(Which isn't in the 2 photos, but it's between the stalls and the hardware yet to be installed.)

In the 1st photo you see the stalls.

I don't know what they're going to do about lighting. There were no light posts there.

There are some lights on the side of the Hannaford building but that wouldn't provide great illumination.

In the 2nd photo you can see the 2 Supercharger cabinets.
But I didn't see any other electrical hardware like a distribution cabinet.
You can also see pallets with some concrete blocks.
Maybe those are going to be how they'll do the bases for electrical hardware, with pieces rather than large slabs.
Behind the stalls, the ground slopes away rapidly, so they might have to build things up.

Not sure I'd get there again. This weekend was pleasant (sunny, with highs in mid-50s), but it's getting colder and it's a fairly long drive to check on the progress of a charger I can't use. :p But, there's one or two restaurants there we might want to try. Or if not, hopefully we get another nice weekend and I can persuade my wife to come for a drive, and we can double back and go somewhere in Belfast before going home.

This is the location in the Hannaford lot. It's the last 8 spots at the side.

View attachment 730483

I didn't see any sign of construction of the "Dieselgate" CCS chargers, but there's room for them to be located next to the Superchargers.

I nearly missed checking the side of the store, but fortunately I noticed a small excavator.
(Which isn't in the 2 photos, but it's between the stalls and the hardware yet to be installed.)

@Chuq @corywright @MarcoRP @tes-s Please update the location to 44.532641, -68.411381.