Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Emporia, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't tell if this post was serious but it should be noted that charging in Topeka is literally a 6 minute diversion vs. driving straight from KC to Wichita via Emporia. Now you do have to stop and charge in Topeka, but that would be the case if there were a supercharger in Emporia as well. It certainly makes no sense whatsoever to drive to Independence or even the new KC supercharger just so you can take the toll road through Emporia.

Yes I agree with you it’s not that much of a difference but the extra charging needed to make it to Topeka then go down to Wichita. If there was a supercharger in Emporia you could just literally plug-in for like five or 10 minutes and it would give you just enough juice to make it home and be able to actually drive the speed limit. But yes I’ve made the trip many times now and every single time after that crash I just drive to Topeka

"I actually fell asleep right before the toll booth in Emporia "....You're so lucky check this out:

I'm the guy who bought your 19's in KC ;)

Yeah! You’re telling me! After that crash I will never even remotely consider buying anything but a Tesla again the car truly did save my life! I instantly was able to crawl out of the car and walk away from that basically just fine. I’m just so glad that I am lucky that nobody else died or got seriously injured it because of the mistake I made

"I actually fell asleep right before the toll booth in Emporia "....You're so lucky check this out:

I'm the guy who bought your 19's in KC ;)

Ha ha I just read the part where you said you bought the wheels from me. I sent you the crash photos did night? You know how bad the wreck was. I am getting ready to sell my car And buy a P100D. I’m just trying to find a used one that has AP2 at a decent price

Ha ha I just read the part where you said you bought the wheels from me. I sent you the crash photos did night? You know how bad the wreck was. I am getting ready to sell my car And buy a P100D. I’m just trying to find a used one that has AP2 at a decent price

yes the pictures gave me chills...let me know how good of a deal you get because I would be interested in a p100dl or a p90dl as well, while the miles are still low on my 90D.

It's definitely a better route to charge in Topeka instead of Independence or even the new KC one. I'm assuming your travel plans were from the Tesla service center in KC to Wichita. The only reason to charge at Independence instead is if the car they gave you didn't have enough charge to reach the Topeka supercharger.

PS feel free to post the pics of your toll booth crash! :eek:

Based on other locations in Kansas I would expect the supercharger would be installed either at the Holiday Inn Express or Applebee's. I called an area business and they were aware there were plans to install a supercharger but they weren't sure of the current status and hadn't seen any local construction for it. I should be passing through there around Thanksgiving time. If there is no update by then I'll try to take a look around to see what's up.

I read back through this thread I think it's important to note that the "Permit" phase was added as a place holder based on an old conversation a member had with people representing the now defunct Montana Mike's location. I doubt there was ever a formal building permit issued, nor do I think there is any project in the works. It's also worth mentioning that Tesla has had a "coming soon" dot on their map for Emporia since 2016, they just seem to keep moving the target date.

Being very careful to not be a pest, I've emailed a couple of city officials. One of which returned my message to say there have been a number of conversations about the need for EV changers in Emporia but there were no locations currently under discussion, and I assume they were referring to the slow public chargers for the most part. Admittedly adding public chargers in Emporia would be a significant improvement over it's current EV desert status, but it probably wouldn't be compelling enough to attract much Tesla traffic.

At this point I think it's safe to say the target date for Emporia will be pushed out to 2019 or 2020 once someone at Tesla reviews the expired dates on their own map.

It might be worth reaching out to Applebee's to see if they want to sponsor a Supercharger in Emporia since they have one in Wichita, although if given a choice I would prefer a supercharger at Braum's because ice cream.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Alright would be Emporia superchargers. I spoke with Tesla and they gave me the following link:

Charging Partners | Tesla

This is where we can submit our suggestions for specific supercharging locations. For Emporia I submitted the Braum's near the freeway out of personal preference, but go ahead and submit your requests. Other possibilities include the Holiday Inn Express, IHOP, Starbucks, and Applebee's. My one request probably won't do much but if enough of us submit requests maybe someone will pay attention.

Anyone have any information about a supercharger in Emporia? Just (sadly) drove through on my way from Kansas City to Wichita in my husband’s ICE car because I was afraid I wouldn’t make it in this cold weather.

Read back on my previous posts here. I exchange email with a couple of city officials in Emporia a couple of months ago but there is nothing happening to my knowledge.

Can't tell if this post was serious but it should be noted that charging in Topeka is literally a 6 minute diversion vs. driving straight from KC to Wichita via Emporia. Now you do have to stop and charge in Topeka, but that would be the case if there were a supercharger in Emporia as well. It certainly makes no sense whatsoever to drive to Independence or even the new KC supercharger just so you can take the toll road through Emporia.

I think the need is still there and suspect it would get good use. I drive from St Louis to Wichita and prefer to go through Emporia which avoids going through downtown KC traffic as well as avoids going a bit out of the way to the other side of Topeka where the supercharger is next to an Arby's / home depot (not a great spot). As another mentioned, having a short stop in Emporia after a KC stop would make going to Wichita much better as arrival with a reasonable charge would be certain vs trying to get from KC to Wichita and rolling in with 20 miles left. Add in cold weather or even a thunderstorm and range is much more of a concern.