Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Emporia, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who frequently travels from KC to Wichita, a Supercharger in Emporia would be awesome. The Topeka location isn't terribly convenient and getting to ICT with 30-50 miles of range isn't ideal, especially if we have something to do when we arrive. Hopefully they are able to get something figured-out!

As someone who frequently travels from KC to Wichita, a Supercharger in Emporia would be awesome. The Topeka location isn't terribly convenient and getting to ICT with 30-50 miles of range isn't ideal, especially if we have something to do when we arrive. Hopefully they are able to get something figured-out!

Agreed. Made the Top-ict route in February this year and it was a bit of a pucker. 15-20 miles left I think.

Agreed! I definitely prefer to go through Emporia from the SW suburbs to get to Wichita, and the Topeka SC is not terribly convenient. There is now one CHAdeMO connection at the Wamego service island, but I don’t want to invest in an adapter (which shows out of stock online anyway) and take the chance that it may not be available. Have traveled all over the Midwest with my midrange 3, and find this to be a big hole in coverage.

Reactions: kwjayhawk
Tesla has an approved permit. The permit number is BP-19-00918 and will have 8 stations. ... closer to in front of Dollar General - 1330 Industrial Rd because the easement has more space. I talked with Kory last Wednesday, and he provided me with the permit number Monday, 9/30/19.

Thanks @ScooterJim

supercharge.info

Good to see the dot (and you) back.
A splitter between Wichita, KS and Olathe, KS that will help towards completing I-35 and, more practically, allow people to avoid a diversion to Topeka, KS.

Reactions: MarkeR2002
Super odd they couldn't find a suitable sport on the north side of the highway by all of the hotels, Walmart, and food...

Keep in mind that someone from CA picked that site most likely and has absolutely zero idea where it should have went... :) Having lived in KS but now live in CA, I can see why someone thought that was a good spot... LOL :)

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: starman27
Keep in mind that someone from CA picked that site most likely and has absolutely zero idea where it should have went... :) Having lived in KS but now live in CA, I can see why someone thought that was a good spot... LOL :)

Jeff

Lol. To a degree I get that, but I'm a native Minnesotan (and therefore know very little of KS), and it only took me 2 minutes on Google Maps to see that there might be a slightly more optimal placement...

Reactions: MarkoC
Lol. To a degree I get that, but I'm a native Minnesotan (and therefore know very little of KS), and it only took me 2 minutes on Google Maps to see that there might be a slightly more optimal placement...

Totally get that only you cared to look as someone from that department might simply be trying to fill a line on a spreadsheet so to speak... It's also possible they looked there and couldn't find any willing players, we'll never know...

Jeff

Hi y'all. I am the one who found the permit and lived in Emporia 30 years ago. Now I live in Atlanta metro area. When I was in Emporia this summer, I asked the owner of Applebees if he was interested in allowing Tesla to build superchargers on their property and he said yes. I found out the franchise that own the Wichita Applebees also owns the Applebees in Hays, and both have superchargers at those locations. I thought they maybe the same franchise. They are not. After two months, I called the Chief Inspector of Code Services if Tesla applied for a permit at Applebees in Emporia. He replied Tesla did apply for a permit but not at Applebees. It was in a strip mall on Industrial Rd. In discussions about the exact location, I marked on Google map where it will probably be located. I am waiting for a sketch and a copy of the permit from the inspector. I have friends in Emporia and asked them to take pictures once construction begins.

Attachments

• Emporia SupChgr.pdf
    382.8 KB · Views: 121
Emporia, KS

Along Primary Interstates: I-35
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-50
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-35

To: Olathe, KS - 94.6 miles
Diversion: 2.4 miles*
To: Bethany, MO - 205.3 miles

An important splitter between Wichita, KS and Olathe, KS. Need Emporia, KS open and a good splitter between Laredo, TX and San Marcos, TX to complete I-35.

Was looking at my post from 2017. Some things have changed:

- There is now Olathe, KS and Bethany, MO before West Des Moines, IA.
- Diversion no longer needed to Independence, MO
- Fastest routes to Osage Beach, MO and Rolla, MO are via Olathe, KS
- Additional "direct" Supercharger:
US-50:
To: Poncha Spring, CO - 596.5 miles

* Just because Supercharge.info/Mapbox thinks it should do a weird loop back when getting back on I-35.

Here is the permit and location of the superchargers. My guess of the location was correct.
img032.jpg
img033.jpg
img028 (2).jpg
img029 (2).jpg
img030 (2).jpg