Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Entiat, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news. Looks like construction has begun!
409885DF-C4FA-4A3D-9285-F4166E46F328.jpeg 9EE6976D-BD12-4D3C-9261-126A3666F20D.jpeg 6D0B0BAD-FEB6-4506-B541-DC4AFF7702F8.jpeg 186C1379-E1CB-4CCE-963D-3C6677CB0F82.jpeg

Wow, I wouldn't have thought they'd go through with putting one there:confused:.
Guess Wenatchee and Chelan won't be getting a Supercharger since there only 31 and 18 miles respectively away:(.
I guess I'll have to use the bathroom down the road, since the adjacent Shell stations bathrooms aren't the best.

I just hope they follow through on the Okanogan location. That one isn't strictly needed for Hwy 97/97a travel - it's ~120 miles from Entiat to Osoyoos - but it is needed for travel on the N Cascades Hwy...

Reactions: ijoe13
So I'm no power engineer, but the permit says installation of (1) 1200 Amp Service. If we assume 480V 3-phase service comes in to the supercharger site, that would result in approx. an Apparent Power of 997.66 kVA.
So if each V3 supercharger station can provide a peak output of (250kVA) x (8 stations), would need 2000 kVA for the entire supercharger site (assuming 100% efficiency of AC to DC conversion, which isn't really possible).

So I'm betting on eight V2 stations unless they bring more power into the site, or I don't understand this correctly.

Any Electrical types out there want to confirm this?

So I'm no power engineer, but the permit says installation of (1) 1200 Amp Service. If we assume 480V 3-phase service comes in to the supercharger site, that would result in approx. an Apparent Power of 997.66 kVA.
So if each V3 supercharger station can provide a peak output of (250kVA) x (8 stations), would need 2000 kVA for the entire supercharger site (assuming 100% efficiency of AC to DC conversion, which isn't really possible).

So I'm betting on eight V2 stations unless they bring more power into the site, or I don't understand this correctly.

The service from the utility generally does not equal 250 x stall count. Tesla presumes that not everyone will plug in simultaneously and not everyone will be at 1% SOC. So yeah, having the utility feed undersized like that is fairly normal. As (excluding the most extreme of circumstances) it won't ever matter.

Reactions: Rocky_H

The problem is your assumption that V3 can provide 250kW to all stalls simultaneously. With a standard V3 installation of one cabinet for every four stalls, it simply can't do that. A V3 cabinet has a max continuous AC input rating of 350kVA@480V or 430A. A 1200A service is more than sufficient to supply two V3 cabinets.

The service from the utility generally does not equal 250 x stall count. Tesla presumes that not everyone will plug in simultaneously and not everyone will be at 1% SOC. So yeah, having the utility feed undersized like that is fairly normal. As (excluding the most extreme of circumstances) it won't ever matter.

Per MotorTrend article:
V3 Superchargers get 250 kW each, all the time, so how busy a Supercharger station is will have no effect on your charging speed.

Per Tesla website:
Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you.

So I'm sticking with eight V2 chargers, unless Tesla's is only going to install four V3's, or until someone provides an "engineering answer".

Per MotorTrend article:
V3 Superchargers get 250 kW each, all the time, so how busy a Supercharger station is will have no effect on your charging speed.

Per Tesla website:
Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you.

So I'm sticking with eight V2 chargers, unless Tesla's is only going to install four V3's, or until someone provides an "engineering answer".

I think you’ve already gotten the correct answers above (the MT article is wrong, and the Tesla text is misleading at best). If you don’t believe it, then maybe check out specs for power service at other recent V3 builds (some are in these forums). I imagine you’d have lots of takers if you still want to wager that this will be a V2 site! :)

Technically you’re not splitting power at the stall next to you with V3. Everyone can get as much power as the site can supply. If you’re the only two there and parked right next to each other, you’ll both get max power. By the nature of supercharger, most times the majority of cars will be somewhere in the slower taper. The highest power portion of charge is also the shortest period of time.

Now if someone wants to make a YouTube video with 8 friends all plugging in at 10% or less it might be interesting to watch if power is split evenly or how it works...