Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Entiat, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But what about the other one? :)

easily researched, and I am sure you probably have. For others,
text of the original bill http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2019-20/Pdf/Bills/House Passed Legislature/2042-S2.PL.pdf
articles
Washington state embraces new fees on electric vehicles in pursuit of greener transportation
$75 fee enacted for hybrid and electric cars in Washington state | king5.com
Washington state is charging hybrid owners $75 to incentivize electric cars
Behind Washington State's EV Tax Creating an Electric Vehicle Infrastructure
License fees rise for hybrid and electric cars in Washington | HeraldNet.com

from the last one
Eventually, the $75 fee will go to pay for roads and bridges, which is where state Sen. Steve Hobbs, D-Lake Stevens, wanted the money to go in the first place. Hobbs chairs the Senate Transportation Committee.
and
But until 2025, the new fee will fund the installation of electric charging stations to bridge gaps in the existing infrastructure, according to the bill.

folks can make up their own minds on the value, worth, etc. Not going to debate it here.

Reactions: Rocky_H
There are definitely more visiting Teslas in the Methow Valley, most from Puget Sound I'm guessing. If they are coming via Stevens Pass I can see them skipping the slower route through Entiat and Chelan after topping up in Leavenworth. But I would expect those coming via Cle Elum to head for Entiat for a just-to-be-sure charge, so it's interesting there's little use. Maybe it's going to be mostly a summer stop when Chelan traffic is so high. In the meantime, we will certainly be using Entiat on winter trips to Wenatchee from Winthrop because of the substantial range loss. And, while Entiat does seem like an odd choice I'm happy for any new supercharger anywhere. </nickel>

You sound like you're trying to disagree with me. About what is unclear.
nope, just answering acarney's question of where his EV tax goes and then your question about where the other one goes.

Folks, there is a thread on the EV fees....have the discussion there.

my apologies.

Maybe it's going to be mostly a summer stop when Chelan traffic is so high. In the meantime, we will certainly be using Entiat on winter trips to Wenatchee from Winthrop because of the substantial range loss. And, while Entiat does seem like an odd choice I'm happy for any new supercharger anywhere.

yea, definitely a drive north and through the North Cascades stop for me. helps avoid diverting to Leavenworth if I am heading through Yakima.

Reactions: Rocky_H
nope, just answering acarney's question of where his EV tax goes and then your question about where the other one goes.

my apologies.

yea, definitely a drive north and through the North Cascades stop for me. helps avoid diverting to Leavenworth if I am heading through Yakima.
This will be my last post on this off-topic discussion. acarney was wondering why there weren't any government EV charging projects in a particular area when he pays a special tax for it every year. You responded that the fee is to make up for a lack of gas tax and goes to roads. My point was that we pay 2 EV fees in WA and my rudimentary understanding is that one of them is to make up for the lack of gas tax (and go to road maintenance/construction) while the other is ostensibly to pay for additional charging infrastructure. Therefore acarney's complaint was valid. You seemed to imply that it was an invalid complaint since our extra EV fees all go to road maintenance and construction.

Reactions: Rocky_H and acarney
I’ve been trying to not make another off topic post here, but I need to make one final one.

PLUS EV basically nailed it. Us EV owners are being hit with a specific fee (tax) on registration that is supposed to go to supporting charger build out, yet here is a perfect example of a report of a city trying to get funding to fill a gap with the addition of an EV charger and being declined.

I’m not sure for how many years it’s been collected, but I know I was hit in August 2020. Even assuming it’s only been one year, that’s almost $4 million they would collect from the ~52k EV’s in this state, not even including if they collected from any hybrids!

This one article ( Can Electric Cars Rise In Time To Save Us? Washington State Says Yes ) mentions approx $350k for up to a 350kW DCFC and as low as $23k for a 50kW DCFC. Saying maybe 100k middle ground for a 100kW or 150kW chargers means the state could be green lighting almost 40 new DCFC stations.

For me these locations are EXACTLY where the state needs to step in. Lower traveled more scenic routes, routes heading towards national/state parks or recreational areas, or lower population density points of interest. These locations will all be harder sells for the private guys that either need to make money off the chargers or need to continue to focus on supporting high density areas that might see crowding.

We need to push smaller city or county representatives to apply for this money and request to know where it’s being spent if they’re declined. It would also be nice if we could push the state to generate a Tesla like map to show locations they’ve identified as future DCFC sites (hopefully more accurate than Tesla though when it comes to dates :p) and even possibly a once or twice a year open comment period for drivers to submit feedback on travel routes they don’t currently feel comfortable due to lack of chargers or locations they want to visit the most that don’t have chargers.

For me these locations are EXACTLY where the state needs to step in. Lower traveled more scenic routes, routes heading towards national/state parks or recreational areas, or lower population density points of interest. These locations will all be harder sells for the private guys that either need to make money off the chargers or need to continue to focus on supporting high density areas that might see crowding.

We need to push smaller city or county representatives to apply for this money and request to know where it’s being spent if they’re declined. It would also be nice if we could push the state to generate a Tesla like map to show locations they’ve identified as future DCFC sites (hopefully more accurate than Tesla though when it comes to dates :p) and even possibly a once or twice a year open comment period for drivers to submit feedback on travel routes they don’t currently feel comfortable due to lack of chargers or locations they want to visit the most that don’t have chargers.
This needs to be quoted and re posted in a new thread.
Kunz mentions an RV tax thread, but there appears to be no Washington thread that’s active.
It’s time to bring forward the above point of view. Our EV tax money needs to be put to work in creative and forward thinking ways.
Thanks for saying it so well acarney. If you don’t repost it into a new thread, I think I will.

The Town of Winthrop invited Tesla many months ago to install a supercharger on town property with needed power close by. No response. They then pursued funding for a CCS/CHAdeMO fast charger on town property but lost out on the grant. As I've said before it makes perfect sense to have fast chargers in Winthrop for those coming over the big climb North Cascades Highway or coming around and up in the winter, which many people - many driving Teslas - do. For now there are level 2 chargers in the Methow, all of them free. OCEC, a very small, non-profit cooperative, just provides power but is open to supporting EVs.

I did reach out to the Winthrop Town Planner and basically got the same info. Seems like we need to find a way to approach Tesla again with this suggestion, but with maybe some added signatures or something to give it more weight.

Reactions: alpinehijinx
I did reach out to the Winthrop Town Planner and basically got the same info. Seems like we need to find a way to approach Tesla again with this suggestion, but with maybe some added signatures or something to give it more weight.

After some back and fourth e-mails with the Winthrop Town Planner, it seems some sort of signature campaign or similar effort is the next best step we the Tesla community can do to show support for a Supercharger in Winthrop. Anyone have a suggestion for the best way to kick off this effort? Once we (hopefully) have a bunch of signatures, I’ll send the info back to the Winthrop Town Planner and go from there in reaching out to Tesla again.

After some back and fourth e-mails with the Winthrop Town Planner, it seems some sort of signature campaign or similar effort is the next best step we the Tesla community can do to show support for a Supercharger in Winthrop. Anyone have a suggestion for the best way to kick off this effort? Once we (hopefully) have a bunch of signatures, I’ll send the info back to the Winthrop Town Planner and go from there in reaching out to Tesla again.

Honestly I think someone other than Tesla should be the target. I’m not certain how many Tesla sites have been a result of the site location/city asking for it. Tesla has a whole internal system to determine SC locations and demands. You might be able to get level 2 chargers installed from Tesla, but I’m not sure they’re providing them free any more...

Whatever plan you come up with in collecting signatures and pushing the city I would cast a wider net and include options that could qualify for grant money from WA (I assume level 2 chargers and “universal” DCFC like CCS and Chademo) installed or supported by a local utility or GreenLots, EA, etc.)

I also don’t think this would keep Tesla from building in the future; I think a couple of the more recent WA locations have been near existing DCFCs

There is absolutely no reason to pressure the Town Planner or any or Winthrop town official. The town supports EV charging. And I think acarney is right that trying to put the squeeze on Tesla is wasted energy. If you really want a supercharger in Winthrop - something we Methow Valley Tesla owners would love to see - just drive your Tesla to Winthrop, over and over. That will produce the data Tesla needs. In the meantime our local EV enthusiasts are pursuing grant money for L3 chargers on the entire Cascade Loop. Granted, not much use to Tesla owners until a CCS adapter is available, but still a step toward the greater good.

Reactions: mociaf9
There is absolutely no reason to pressure the Town Planner or any or Winthrop town official. The town supports EV charging. And I think acarney is right that trying to put the squeeze on Tesla is wasted energy. If you really want a supercharger in Winthrop - something we Methow Valley Tesla owners would love to see - just drive your Tesla to Winthrop, over and over. That will produce the data Tesla needs. In the meantime our local EV enthusiasts are pursuing grant money for L3 chargers on the entire Cascade Loop. Granted, not much use to Tesla owners until a CCS adapter is available, but still a step toward the greater good.

Not sure having a conversation should be considered “pressuring” anyone. Wasn’t my intention as I’m simply excited to be an EV owner and want to see EV infrastructure grow to better support out of the way places as much as they do major highway corridors. Since I’m a Tesla owner first, I’m most interested in Tesla charging options, so another type which I can’t use isn’t of much use to me - just saying. ‍

It sounds like the effort in Winthrop already has enough local support and attention, so hopefully there will be a solution implemented sooner than later.