Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Entiat, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said it once, I'll say it again. If you are traveling the North Cascades Highway, a supercharger in Winthrop makes sense. Trust me, you will suck a lot of battery making the pull from the Burlington or Arlington supercharger over the two passes. Winthrop is where you will stop to shop or eat - or Mazama, which is 15 miles sooner. If you are moving on, you fill up and go. If you are staying you can top up for the driving and hiking and biking and river floating adventures here. Next stop for fast charge on the Cascade Loop is Leavenworth. Many thousands of people hit this town in the sunny seasons and I'd love to see many hundreds of those be driving EVs. Just saying.

I've said it once, I'll say it again. If you are traveling the North Cascades Highway, a supercharger in Winthrop makes sense. Trust me, you will suck a lot of battery making the pull from the Burlington or Arlington supercharger over the two passes. Winthrop is where you will stop to shop or eat - or Mazama, which is 15 miles sooner. If you are moving on, you fill up and go. If you are staying you can top up for the driving and hiking and biking and river floating adventures here. Next stop for fast charge on the Cascade Loop is Leavenworth. Many thousands of people hit this town in the sunny seasons and I'd love to see many hundreds of those be driving EVs. Just saying.

Leavenworth does have a supercharger already, and routes from Seattle area on highway 2 should be easy, even in the winter. Coming from the east getting to Leavenworth should be pretty easy too. I think this location is very clearly to make a North/South route along 97 doable... it's just in such an odd position that it will require a bit of back and forth to get to it and back on route.

While Winthrop would open up that route you're suggesting, I don't think that would naturally be the route one would take to get to Leavenworth... or to cross to Spokane area, etc.

Leavenworth does have a supercharger already, and routes from Seattle area on highway 2 should be easy, even in the winter. Coming from the east getting to Leavenworth should be pretty easy too. I think this location is very clearly to make a North/South route along 97 doable... it's just in such an odd position that it will require a bit of back and forth to get to it and back on route.

While Winthrop would open up that route you're suggesting, I don't think that would naturally be the route one would take to get to Leavenworth... or to cross to Spokane area, etc.
I've taken the North Cascades highway to Winthrop and then on to Leavenworth in the past. It's a nice loop drive where you see a lot of different things. A good drive if you have visitors from out of town. Can be done as a long day trip, but probably better to spend at least one night in Winthrop or Leavenworth to make it more relaxing.

@wycolo yea, last summer. We went the speed limit. Mapped it with abetterrouteplanner. 3LR can do 310 or so theoretically, and if I can keep myself in check, it’s close to that. I think I got into Burlington with about 8%. It would not be doable in cold weather, I suspect, nor if I went a lot faster.

I would rather see a SpC in Twisp than Winthrop or maybe even Pateros.
Agree that the Methow is sorely needed, but I can't really think of many places willing to give up parking in the summer? It's already at a premium in Winthrop and not a whole lot better in the downtown core in Twisp. A SC at the Red Barn would be great and is owned by the City I think? Otherwise, there aren't any significant parking lots until you get to the Red Apple or the Wintrhop PT/gym? Not sure who owns the long-vacant Twisp R Brewery property but maybe in the lot on the Twisp Ave side? Mazama doesn't work at all because if you're going to the Methow in the winter and not going up-valley, then you certainly wouldn't want to go that far out of your way for electrons. If Tesla is actually planning on an Omak/Okanogan SC, then Pateros is unnecessary.

• Informative
Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Maybe it's worth noting that the "alternate contact" on this permit is Matt Medley, who is the same person listed as the contact for the Medford supercharger construction site (Supercharger - Medford, OR) and other Blackstone supercharger projects.

Also, the permit states "work to begin" date of 6/30/20 and expiration date of 8/9/20. Hmmm.... Any other updates on this one?

Reactions: MarcoRP
Maybe it's worth noting that the "alternate contact" on this permit is Matt Medley, who is the same person listed as the contact for the Medford supercharger construction site (Supercharger - Medford, OR) and other Blackstone supercharger projects.

Also, the permit states "work to begin" date of 6/30/20 and expiration date of 8/9/20. Hmmm.... Any other updates on this one?
Drove by today. No changes

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again but there is no change.

Hah, well, thanks for the update. As I understand these One Call postings, they’re for marking of underground utilities prior to digging. The One Call showed that they hadn’t yet been marked in this case, so no digging expected yet. Maybe in the next few weeks we (you?) will start to see dirt move... :)

Hah, well, thanks for the update. As I understand these One Call postings, they’re for marking of underground utilities prior to digging. The One Call showed that they hadn’t yet been marked in this case, so no digging expected yet. Maybe in the next few weeks we (you?) will start to see dirt move... :)
Oh they'd been marked previously (see my post from July 24) but the ticket now says "needs remarking." I wonder if the utilities didn't all get to it in time with the previous ask?

It's kind of a weird site. There's a huge dirt lot on the north side (also owned by Lucky's Mini Mart), the Shell sign and a propane tank in the middle along the marked alignment, and a fenced-off detention pond thing in the back? If it were a standard 8-stall SC, it seems to me that it'd be sort of tight where it's seemingly marked? Or maybe Tesla will pay to have the northern lot paved, just as they did at Dan's in Leavenworth?

Oh they'd been marked previously (see my post from July 24) but the ticket now says "needs remarking." I wonder if the utilities didn't all get to it in time with the previous ask?
The markings are only valid for a limited time (about a month). So if the digging wasn't completed before the prior marks "expired" they need them to be remarked before they can dig. This ensures that any potential changes since the original marking get identified.