Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Entiat, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly I think someone other than Tesla should be the target. I’m not certain how many Tesla sites have been a result of the site location/city asking for it. Tesla has a whole internal system to determine SC locations and demands. You might be able to get level 2 chargers installed from Tesla, but I’m not sure they’re providing them free any more...

Whatever plan you come up with in collecting signatures and pushing the city I would cast a wider net and include options that could qualify for grant money from WA (I assume level 2 chargers and “universal” DCFC like CCS and Chademo) installed or supported by a local utility or GreenLots, EA, etc.)

I also don’t think this would keep Tesla from building in the future; I think a couple of the more recent WA locations have been near existing DCFCs

I think I’ll step aside with pushing this effort as it may have rubbed some folks the wrong way, which wasn’t my intention. I was simply eager to help out however I could, but I’ll leave it up to the town to develop their plan and will be happy to support it in whatever way I am able.

I think I’ll step aside with pushing this effort as it may have rubbed some folks the wrong way, which wasn’t my intention. I was simply eager to help out however I could, but I’ll leave it up to the town to develop their plan and will be happy to support it in whatever way I am able.
You can certainly express interest to the city and support the city. Maybe organize a “EV Rally” or meet up if there is a nice lunch spot or interesting recreation area and than invite the city council members to swing by if they would like so they could chat with owners and see the cars. Gather some [short] statements from EV owners on if they’re more likely to visit a location that has a quick charger and if they usually spend money on lunch or anything while charging and then send that to the city council letting them know you want them to get an idea for what EV owners might be thinking, etc.

I was just suggesting dropping the Tesla specific push because that’s likely setting them up for failure (which will reduce the likelihood of them trying again or thinking EV’s aren’t popular enough). Tesla is notoriously “internal” when it comes to their supercharger locations and buildout.

The city also is more likely to want to spend time, money, and land on a solution that accommodates all EV owners, not just “high end” Tesla owners...

You can certainly express interest to the city and support the city. Maybe organize a “EV Rally” or meet up if there is a nice lunch spot or interesting recreation area and than invite the city council members to swing by if they would like so they could chat with owners and see the cars. Gather some [short] statements from EV owners on if they’re more likely to visit a location that has a quick charger and if they usually spend money on lunch or anything while charging and then send that to the city council letting them know you want them to get an idea for what EV owners might be thinking, etc.

I was just suggesting dropping the Tesla specific push because that’s likely setting them up for failure (which will reduce the likelihood of them trying again or thinking EV’s aren’t popular enough). Tesla is notoriously “internal” when it comes to their supercharger locations and buildout.

The city also is more likely to want to spend time, money, and land on a solution that accommodates all EV owners, not just “high end” Tesla owners...

Thanks for the comment. I have to say, I’ve thought of Winthrop and the Methow Valley as “high end” over the past decade we’ve been driving through there. You’ve seen the housing prices, right? Seems like the few people I’ve known who’ve moved out there full time or bought a second home had $ to burn. Just sayin..:)

Reactions: Seattle Tom
To keep this somehow on topic, I’ve charged here 3 times today during various runs to Wenatchee and Ellensburg. Nice and high kw every time. At least for my 75D :D
4F9D1A79-5998-4586-BD14-9B2B7DD34CE8.jpeg

Going to stop at the Entiat charger soon. Still wish Winthrop had a SC. Had to wait for a couple of hours to get a charge at a local spot, so not ideal when visiting this area. From an exploration perspective, super quick charging is ideal. Not complaining… just saying. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I meant Omak.
Does anyone have any information regarding a proposed supercharger in Okanogan and/or Omar? I see Okanogan on a future list, but I’m new to this game and don’t know if that is something likely to happen or when.

Recent experience suggests that Tesla has some sort of plan/agreement for a location when it becomes listed with a year and quarter number. Right now, Tesla still lists Okanogan as "Target 2022" without a quarter number (Find Us | Tesla), so I would keep an eye on that for updates. Tesla is likely to do a quarterly update of the map and target dates sometime in the next few weeks.

Reactions: TLI_Mark
I agree on a better charging solution for the North Cascades Highway.

There is a Destination Charger just West of Winthrop ("resort"). No one has mentioned it.
Does it not exist? Are DestChargers just too slow? How about just getting a few miles
while you grab a meal? Often even 40 miles is the difference between arriving with no
concerns and white knuckles with the air off and driving at or even just below the
speed limit.

I did start up over the North Cascades on opening day this year. It was fairly cold and
we didn't really have a "goal" (other than going up on opening day for the road) so we
turned around and came back to Burlington and arrived with more than a comfortable
amount of range left.
- Jim in the PNW

I agree on a better charging solution for the North Cascades Highway.

There is a Destination Charger just West of Winthrop ("resort"). No one has mentioned it.
Does it not exist? Are DestChargers just too slow? How about just getting a few miles
while you grab a meal? Often even 40 miles is the difference between arriving with no
concerns and white knuckles with the air off and driving at or even just below the
speed limit.

I did start up over the North Cascades on opening day this year. It was fairly cold and
we didn't really have a "goal" (other than going up on opening day for the road) so we
turned around and came back to Burlington and arrived with more than a comfortable
amount of range left.
- Jim in the PNW

How do you think we (Tesla and other EV owners) got around the area before there were any Superchargers? :)

Plug In North Central Washington was an incredible volunteer/donation effort that installed most of the high amperage level 2 stations in that area.

Reactions: goneskiian
speed limit.

- Jim in the PNW
Are you referring to the 2 HPWCs at Sun Mountain Lodge? It's a good number of miles west of Winthrop (12-ish?) and probably a 1000-1500 feet climb from the town. However I made it there from Kirkland in an M3LR using the North Cascade pass (SR20) without stopping anywhere for a summer wedding at a lake on the Sun Mountain property. After charging for 6 hours and staying overnight elsewhere in Winthrop, we again made it home without a stop to recharge anywhere.

So I don't see why an SR+ will not make it from Burlington. As mentioned, Plugin-NCW have the region covered with 80-amp Level 2 chargers. Does the Tesla<->J-1772 adaptor allow for more than 32-amp charge rate?

Are you referring to the 2 HPWCs at Sun Mountain Lodge? It's a good number of miles west of Winthrop (12-ish?) and probably a 1000-1500 feet climb from the town. However I made it there from Kirkland in an M3LR using the North Cascade pass (SR20) without stopping anywhere for a summer wedding at a lake on the Sun Mountain property. After charging for 6 hours and staying overnight elsewhere in Winthrop, we again made it home without a stop to recharge anywhere.

So I don't see why an SR+ will not make it from Burlington. As mentioned, Plugin-NCW have the region covered with 80-amp Level 2 chargers. Does the Tesla<->J-1772 adaptor allow for more than 32-amp charge rate?
Yes, it will allow the full amperage the car can take. 32 for SR+ and 48 for M3/MY LR. Not sure about older S/X with dual on board chargers.

Reactions: floatplane
Not sure about older S/X with dual on board chargers.
72!

It's not common to find such high amperage chargers but when I do it always feels amazing. It isn't supercharging but at 51mi/hr, having a long meal really adds quite a bit. There are a lot of them in the rural areas of BC, which are increasingly becoming covered by the supercharger network as time goes on.