Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Erie, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning a trip to the Rochester area around Thanksgiving and would normally route through Cranberry but I have learned my lesson about winter driving in the Tesla. I'll be coming in from the east now that Syracuse and Utica are in place. Not ideal , but safe.
I would really like to hear of some concrete progress on a Erie supercharger.

Disappointing that there is no progress on Erie. Perhaps Tesla is looking into a similar location near Erie, but Peach Street with all its attractions would be ideal. Restating the mantra -- Travel to Pittsburgh from western NY is a challenge without a supercharger somewhere near Erie. Like others, I have reached out to Tesla to remind them of the importance of an Erie supercharger, and was told they are "aware". Let's see some action, please?

Thanks for pinging Tesla about Erie. I too would love to see some action this!! :)

Disappointing that there is no progress on Erie. Perhaps Tesla is looking into a similar location near Erie, but Peach Street with all its attractions would be ideal. Restating the mantra -- Travel to Pittsburgh from western NY is a challenge without a supercharger somewhere near Erie. Like others, I have reached out to Tesla to remind them of the importance of an Erie supercharger, and was told they are "aware". Let's see some action, please?

I really have no idea what's causing the delays in Erie. It's now one of the most glaring gaps in the entire national network of Superchargers, and there's also no destination charging. (The bigger gaps are a giant circle around Arkansas in every direction, and the low-population areas of West Texas, North Dakota, and West Virginia. Erie is on busier road routes, both north-south and east-west, than all of these except the Arkansas gap. You'd think they could get Erie done.)

I've heard that the power company in that area has a fairly low power supply and that they may be chary of hooking up any high-draw sites. So this might be a good site to put up those solar panels and batteries which they're promising for all the Superchargers to cut the peak load...

Yes, Erie is sorely needed. The stretch from Buffalo to Cranberry PA is not bad in summer but gets dicey in cold weather. I'll be doing it this Thursday and hope for the best.

A couple weeks ago I wrote an email to the Tesla Supercharger team bemoaning the winter degradation and asking if anything was happening. They gave me the reply that they are actively looking for a site. Not very encouraging news

It seems that there are just so many routes that an Erie SC would make more possible. I would love to see an Erie supercharger, or somewhere in the area. There are tons of food options and shopping outlets on Peach street, and lots of parking lots that only fill during the most popular shopping days. I wonder why Tesla is having such trouble securing a location.

Someone needs to call up Nick Scott. He owns half of Peach St. Get him behind the wheel of one of these Teslas, we'll see a Supercharger real quick.

Last Sunday I charged up to 260 rated miles and drove from Macedonia to the Buffalo SC with 54 miles left. But in the winter I wouldn't want to risk it. Would have been nice to have Erie online before winter sets in but that is not going to happen this year. Looks like we'll be spending an extra hour or so at the HPWC at the Jerky Store in Geneva if we want to make the trip in the winter.

See Tesla Supercharger network - Page 687 for a summary of the new Tesla Supercharger maps that showed up on Nov 25.

Erie is on the "Today" map as coming soon, not on the 2015 map, and on the 2016 map.

Could this mean that Erie is coming in early 2016?
That would be my interpretation given Plantation shows on the 2015 map ( it just needs connection which is underway) and Slidell is not.

Appreciate the effort in searching and posting the permits but this is just for the City of Erie, correct?
I think the areas next to 90 that would be ideal are outside the city limits.

You're right, thanks. (No need to check the list now.) The obvious I-90 location would be at Summit Towne Centre, which is in, naturally, Summit Township.

Too late to delete my Erie post. Sorry for the noise.

This page has Summit's Land Use and Zoning department, which includes Code Enforcement:
Land Development and Zoning | Summit Township

The page also has a zoning map.

Just a little heads up to those planning on travel between the Cleveland and Buffalo areas, The destination charger at the Jerky outlet at Geneva, OH has apparently been de-energized. The last 2 posts on Plugshare indicates a change of ownership of the site and the chargers have been shut off. Too bad, they were the best option for a quick boost to make it to Macedonia in the winter. Really underscores how important it is to get a Supercharger in Erie! I don't see any good alternatives. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just a little heads up to those planning on travel between the Cleveland and Buffalo areas, The destination charger at the Jerky outlet at Geneva, OH has apparently been de-energized. The last 2 posts on Plugshare indicates a change of ownership of the site and the chargers have been shut off. Too bad, they were the best option for a quick boost to make it to Macedonia in the winter. Really underscores how important it is to get a Supercharger in Erie! I don't see any good alternatives. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, no! I was going to depend on the jerky outlet charge when I drive up to Vermont this summer.... I only see dealerships along the route in Plugshare.... darnit!

The Tesla Supercharger map on the Teslamotors site now shows a, "Coming Soon" icon for the area of Erie! Anyone hear anything about a permit being issued or up for discussion?

Keep your eyes open! I have heard from reliable sources that something should happen in Erie in the next few months... :biggrin:

As long as you accept the restriction that Cleveland needs to be open, when Erie opens, I-90 will be the first coast to coast Supercharger route on a single Interstate!