Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Erwin, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_3570.JPG
Charging now.

I was there today. The chargers were all blocked on the paved side (iced). I tried the unpaved side which wouldn't work although it activated my charge port and plugged in no current flowed. I moved to the paved side and current flowed.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    489.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0791.PNG
    IMG_0791.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • Informative
Reactions: Thinkje
DGGL2zYW0AAiZ_a.jpg

Charged successfully on Monday morning. Did not try the chargers on the unpaved side, but on the paved side the first one we tried-- 4B -- caused a "charge cable not connected" error and orange charge ring. Had me worried we were detouring to Bloomsburg and taking the L O N G way home... but then moved down a couple to 2B and charged up no problem.

On my 85 RWD (with four passengers and a week+ of luggage) we were charged to 180 miles upon arrival but needed to pile on a few more to make the leap to Erie. Left with 230 on board (Erie + 10%) and drove the speed limit, arrived with 30 miles to spare, or about 11%, so energy estimates were nearly spot on.

Surprisingly, going westward there is a pretty significant climb from Corning to about Hornell. The arrival percentage dropped as low as 8% at times, but then fluctuated as high as 16% at others before settling into a consistent 12% the rest of the drive. I burned off a little excess while jockeying with traffic on I-90 closer to arrival. Just be aware of the rolling terrain and potential for significant headwinds if westbound. Eastbound drivers will be happy to see the various descents from Hornell into the Corning area and can really accelerate into the charger if they're feeling frisky.

On my 85 RWD (with four passengers and a week+ of luggage) we were charged to 180 miles upon arrival but needed to pile on a few more to make the leap to Erie. Left with 230 on board (Erie + 10%) and drove the speed limit, arrived with 30 miles to spare, or about 11%, so energy estimates were nearly spot on.

Thanks for the details. One of these days I am going to get up to Buffalo to visit some friends. That is a shorter run than Erie, so it should be no problem for my 85D.

I still think they should have put this charger a bit NW, near Avoca and the intersection of 86 and 390, but Corning gets the job done.

Thanks for the details. One of these days I am going to get up to Buffalo to visit some friends. That is a shorter run than Erie, so it should be no problem for my 85D.

I still think they should have put this charger a bit NW, near Avoca and the intersection of 86 and 390, but Corning gets the job done.

Or why the 2nd one in Buffalo when there is already one not too far away? That one could have possibly been installed near the Salamanca / Olean which would make Corning between 70-125 miles from the nearby chargers of: Salamanca, Buffalo, Rochester, Waterloo, Binghamton, Scranton, Bloomsburg, or Bellefonte.

Maybe Salamanca will be on the 2018 map since a 220-mile Model 3 wouldn't be able to make it from Corning to Erie.

upload_2017-8-1_8-20-57.png

DGGL2zYW0AAiZ_a.jpg

Charged successfully on Monday morning. Did not try the chargers on the unpaved side, but on the paved side the first one we tried-- 4B -- caused a "charge cable not connected" error and orange charge ring. Had me worried we were detouring to Bloomsburg and taking the L O N G way home... but then moved down a couple to 2B and charged up no problem.

Surprisingly, going westward there is a pretty significant climb from Corning to about Hornell. The arrival percentage dropped as low as 8% at times, but then fluctuated as high as 16% at others before settling into a consistent 12% the rest of the drive. I burned off a little excess while jockeying with traffic on I-90 closer to arrival. Just be aware of the rolling terrain and potential for significant headwinds if westbound. Eastbound drivers will be happy to see the various descents from Hornell into the Corning area and can really accelerate into the charger if they're feeling frisky.

Good information. What do you think about Binghamton to Erie and then down to Pittsburgh vs. Harrisburg and Somerset?

For me, whenever a route is roughly the same distance and time as one via a toll road then I basically always choose the non-toll road. It's $17-$24 in tolls from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh or free via Erie.

Don't forget to look at the route via Falls Creek, PA on I-80 (most likely down to Bloomsburg and across). That is 30 miles shorter and possibly 10 minutes quicker and has some nice scenic roads between I-80 between Brookville and Rt 28 at Kittanning.

Reactions: mrElbe and Thinkje
For me, whenever a route is roughly the same distance and time as one via a toll road then I basically always choose the non-toll road. It's $17-$24 in tolls from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh or free via Erie.

Don't forget to look at the route via Falls Creek, PA on I-80 (most likely down to Bloomsburg and across). That is 30 miles shorter and possibly 10 minutes quicker and has some nice scenic roads between I-80 between Brookville and Rt 28 at Kittanning.
Thanks! I will opt for the nicer drive. I like to enjoy the journey.

Reactions: Darren S
I sent a request to PlugShare ([email protected]) to see if Erwin, NY could be added

PlugShare got back to me and said, "We receive a data feed from Tesla that directly imports new locations. Tesla has asked us not to list any Supercharger locations that are not officially listed on their website as publicly available for use."

That is fantastic news that it is more or less automated so we'll only report when it is an official location but is not yet listed on PlugShare. Thanks, Jordin at PlugShare.

Has anyone stopped by the Erwin supercharger lately? I will be driving through the area Thursday afternoon, but I am hesitant to count on it since it's still not officially open.

I know for a while the Erie Supercharger was having power issues, but it still showed up on the navigation as a "diminished" site-- so you could count on getting SOMETHING, even if not as much as full site. Would be great if Tesla could even activate it that much so it would show up in the navigation for route calculation/planner purposes. Plus then you'd have some reasonable expectation of not getting stranded while still allowing for a full opening later.