Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Escanaba, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think some of the talk of places like Watersmeet is silly. I think most who have been thru there understand. It is a crossroads with a crappy combination gas station grocery store.

I like taking rt45 up to the Houghton area but traffic and some sort of facilities are concerns.

I know Iron Mountain and Escanaba are too close together but at least Iron Mountain has traffic and food.
Eagle River is enough of a tourist trap it might work.

Two years ago I spotted sdoorex up near Baraga and that inspired me to take my car up last summer and used a plugshare offered by some kind retirees a couple doors down from an Airbnb to make it happen, cabin was excellent as well.

A game changer in this discussion would be if this happens.
Area north of Marquette chosen to be home to new space launch site, expected to create thousands of jobs
I understand some of the older locals who always resist the opportunity for their kids and grandkids to have gainful employment are objecting but hopefully it goes thru.

<off topic>

I understand some of the older locals who always resist the opportunity...

I’ll bet the older generation would be in favor of any job creation ventures that would keep their offspring in the area. The pushback I expect to see will occur when folks assess the effect of failed launches with thousands of gallons of toxic fuel fouling the pristine waters of Lake Superior.

<off topic>

I’ll bet the older generation would be in favor of any job creation ventures that would keep their offspring in the area. The pushback I expect to see will occur when folks assess the effect of failed launches with thousands of gallons of toxic fuel fouling the pristine waters of Lake Superior.
Are you familiar with the area? I spent 4years in the Houghton area not at Tech as a young adult trying to begin my life.
The families with money and the old folks will not allow anything to come to the area. Maybe Marquette no is a bit different.
Not many of them are tree hugger a who would argue over "what if a crash" the three folks who will make that argument are the only ones the media will put in front of a camera but that is not representative.

Reactions: outdoors
Not done yet! I haven't called Meijer's in Escanaba and Marquette! Especially pointing out that Michigan Tech is up there! Actually thinking of having my sister visit both manager's next week on her trip up there to tell them I and so many, can't get around up there in our Tesla's, let alone make the Lake Michigan Circle tour without their superchargers. Tickling a few eardrums can't hurt and might work! Six months ago I emailed the person who wrote an article about Bismarck SC opening last fall suggesting a follow up piece! Probably didn't do anything but I bet she asked a few questions...
I spoke with Shane, the manager at Meijer's in Escanaba and my call was the first he had heard of a Tesla supercharger permit at Escanaba and Marquette! He said the number of days under permit status correlates to the day each store opened. I explained the importance of each of these locations. He said he will look into this and get back to me. He sounded very knowledgeable about many locations of Meijer's as he has helped open them. A very positive call. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath! Maybe a few other calls might help;)

About a week ago, I received a call back from Shane as he had been looking into my plea for a SC at Escanaba and Marquette. He said there indeed was a stack of calls requesting information on the SC's. He said Rockford Construction (?--it was 6am my time, and I was sound asleep but I wasn't going to NOT answer a Meijer Escanaba call...) had been ready to put it in in FEBRUARY 2019!!! Of course we know what the UP is like in winter! That is the last contact he showed they had about the SC. He hadn't yet located the person at Meijer's who handles Tesla SCs but was working on it. He eluded, (but said he didn't say!) that Meijer's is very committed to putting superchargers in as they want to be the first to get Tesla semi's! Here's hoping! He said he would keep me posted.

So who can we call to add our name to the list that would use this? I can't get from home (Green Bay) to Garden band back without a SC in Escanaba. The next time I am in Garden I am going to look in to installing a 14-50 at one of my relatives house, but we never know where we will be and for how long.

I emailed Meijer which basically said they have nothing to do with the build out of superchargers, they just host the site but it's on Tesla.

In the permit document the person in charge is Christina Suarez who works at Black & Veatch. They are responsible for the construction of Superchargers. Tried emailing her but didn't get a response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed Meijer which basically said they have nothing to do with the build out of superchargers, they just host the site but it's on Tesla.

In the permit document the person in charge is Christina Suarez who works at Black & Veatch. They are responsible for the construction of Superchargers. Tried emailing her but didn't get a response.
Black & Veatch is no longer Tesla's engineering consultants for the supercharger build out and haven't been for more than a year, so no one should bother trying to contact them.

Last edited by a moderator:
So who can we call to add our name to the list that would use this? I can't get from home (Green Bay) to Garden band back without a SC in Escanaba. The next time I am in Garden I am going to look in to installing a 14-50 at one of my relatives house, but we never know where we will be and for how long.
Remember lots of smaller outlet options that might fit the bill as well. Too often people act like 5-15 and 14-50 are the only options.

There is no list. Numerous people making phone calls to Meijer and architect & engineering firms is not going to make it happen any faster.

Energy would be best spent reaching out to local businesses to see if they would be interested in adding some sort of destination charging for EVs. Many business owners don’t know anything about EVs, charging options or that they can attract business with a fairly low capital outlay.

Energy would be best spent reaching out to local businesses to see if they would be interested in adding some sort of destination charging for EVs. Many business owners don’t know anything about EVs, charging options or that they can attract business with a fairly low capital outlay.

I admit that if there were 40-80 amp Destination chargers in Escanaba or along Route 2, I’d stop for lunch/dinner there on every trip. A short charge is all that required for the Mackinaw to Green Bay passage.

At the moment I just don’t travel that route at all.

I admit that if there were 40-80 amp Destination chargers in Escanaba or along Route 2, I’d stop for lunch/dinner there on every trip. A short charge is all that required for the Mackinaw to Green Bay passage.

At the moment I just don’t travel that route at all.

I think Manistique would be a good place to focus on destination charging efforts. There are several lakefront motels, restaurants and breweries that might be interested in setting something up. Manistique might be an easier "sell" than Escanaba since the latter is already slated to receive Superchargers. It might be worth reaching out to the Manistique Chamber of Commerce to gauge interest.

Sorry for the thread drift. Back to your regularly-scheduled Escanaba Supercharger discussion. :)

Reactions: SSedan and Thp3
North of Escanaba is Rapid River-around 15 miles-this is where US 2 and US 41 split with 41 heading north towards Marquette. Rapid River has been identified as a location for a Michigan placed DCFC which more than likely means CCS.