Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Escanaba, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, someone has posted a picture showing construction has begun for the DCFC in Norway.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Imagine my confusion not knowing there was a Norway MI !!

9RPjz86.jpg

While the Norway CHAdeMO is great... it doesn't really help me make my travels any easier since it's so out of the way (along with Escanaba) from where I go in the UP. I'm hoping the state helps Marquette, Houghton and Ironwood get DCFC soon. Marquette is supposed to be getting a Supercharger as well, which is great - if it ever happens.

When we got our Model X in the spring of 2017 I saw that the Escanaba Mi site was proposed by Tesla and thought it would be great that we could supercharge there to see relatives in the U.P. and Wisconsin while in Michigan. I am still waiting 3 years later. I can't believe that soon I will be able to get around the U.P. easier in our Chevy Bolt than the Model X.

Is this a CCS/CHAdeMO? Article says: "two outlets that can fully charge an electric vehicle in about two hours". If accurate, that sounds like a 25 kW charger, but let's hope it's actually 50+ kW (most of the Chargepoint ones are)...

My excitement may have been premature... I went looking for more info on the charge level and, based on the specs in the ChargePoint contract presented to city council, this looks to me like a level 2 charger? But someone smarter than me should confirm. See page 80 of this PDF: https://www.keepandshare.com/doc4/116414/2020-09-14-pdf-8-0-meg?dn=y

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
My excitement may have been premature... I went looking for more info on the charge level and, based on the specs in the ChargePoint contract presented to city council, this looks to me like a level 2 charger? But someone smarter than me should confirm. See page 80 of this PDF: https://www.keepandshare.com/doc4/116414/2020-09-14-pdf-8-0-meg?dn=y

Oh darn - that doc lists a 30amp L2 charger. In that case the quote about "can fully charge an electric vehicle in about two hours" is only accurate if you start with an 80% charge!! Sheesh....

Oh darn - that doc lists a 30amp L2 charger. In that case the quote about "can fully charge an electric vehicle in about two hours" is only accurate if you start with an 80% charge!! Sheesh....
How sad it's only an L2 charger. I hate to rain on their parade, but if they're installing it in hopes of getting people to stop and charge in town, an L2 really doesn't cut it. Especially if there's a campground nearby with NEMA 1450 outlets, which it sounds like there is. Wonder where they got the idea their new charger will be faster than those in the campground.

The CEO recently stated they need to control costs, so look for Q2 2022 for the latest update.
Don't bank on these Superchargers happening--Michigan legislators have been up to more misdeeds as many are in the pockets of Big Auto. House strips auto sales bill of Tesla provisions before sending to Senate
Also, look at how many have opened this year. Swartz Creek (under permit for years) opened only a few days after the January settlement. The other one was Mackinac City in June. Both critical to get around the eastern half of the lower peninsula. With the latest crap going on in Lansing, and I really hate to be a pessimist, I highly doubt if my Lake circle tour will happen in 2021 either. :mad: