Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Escanaba, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woohoo! The last piece I need to make my annual fall trek to Maine via Canada (so I can avoid Chicago and Toronto).

@glenhurst I’m planning a trip from Ottawa to Green Bay and the over-the-top route looks doable due to the CHAdeMO chargers scatterd along the way in Canada. I would probably charge overnight at the Waterfront Hotel in Sault Ste. Marie and then down to Green Bay, somehow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Emus can read maps!?
upload_2018-5-15_12-52-58.jpeg
Maybe not? But few make it to UP anyway.

@glenhurst I’m planning a trip from Ottawa to Green Bay and the over-the-top route looks doable due to the CHAdeMO chargers scatterd along the way in Canada. I would probably charge overnight at the Waterfront Hotel in Sault Ste. Marie and then down to Green Bay, somehow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well I will take my chance to warn you that some of the KSI chargers in Ontario have many problems when activating them, and also, the price is high : 17$/hour for a 30kW charger

This will be the first year I make the trip over the top, so I have no experience to offer. Like you, I plan to spend one night in Sault Ste. Marie. The stretch from there to Ottawa is now possible because of the Ontario Chademo chargers, although as @Mr. PlugShare points out, they're rather expensive, and more annoying, under-powered. And not always reliable. But the important thing is they're there. A year ago there was nothing but a few L2 chargers along that stretch, which meant I had to go via Chicago and Toronto because of time constraints (I stop Montreal to pick up a friend).

With Escanaba now in the works, it really will be quite an easy drive. Almost too easy. Someday I plan to drive across Labrador, before that gets too easy.

Thinking about a cross-UP Trip this summer. Any updates on Escanaba?
There is now a 48 amp Tesla destination charger at the Quality Inn in Escanaba, with two outlets. It's listed on Plugshare. Not clear whether you have to rent a room to use it, but one person was showing 32 miles/hr charge rate. At least if you spent the night you could get across the UP.

Reactions: Bgarret
That was me charging at the Quality Inn on May 13. I asked the front desk attendant if I could plug in and she didn’t know the Tesla chargers were even there but sure. So I charged for an hour for the heck of it.

Also my sister responded concerning the status of the Esky superchargers, “No sign of anything at Meijer by that grass and road in between them and Aldi.. basically the only place there’s room...”

That was me charging at the Quality Inn on May 13. I asked the front desk attendant if I could plug in and she didn’t know the Tesla chargers were even there but sure. So I charged for an hour for the heck of it.

Also my sister responded concerning the status of the Esky superchargers, “No sign of anything at Meijer by that grass and road in between them and Aldi.. basically the only place there’s room...”
I'm trying to envision a Meijer parking lot that doesn't have much space. Every one I've seen has a parking lot roughly the size of a square mile (with the supercharger located in the far corner of course).

• Funny
Reactions: Calimenti
Unfortunately, groundbreaking has not happened on this one yet.

I'm trying to envision a Meijer parking lot that doesn't have much space. Every one I've seen has a parking lot roughly the size of a square mile (with the supercharger located in the far corner of course).

Hah...that's rather true. Although the one in Traverse City that I just stopped at seems to have the chargers a bit closer to the store.

But I'm not sure if that's a good thing. The Hyvee in Sioux Falls, SD has the SC right next to store...but loads of ICE cars were parked there while the people were running into the liquor store that is right there.

I've told many people that having a Tesla means that you have a reserved bad parking spot at many places all over the country.

Spent some time looking around the grounds of the Meijer this morning and saw no signs of progress. I did not see any markings for running power nor any delivered equipment to be installed. I did see what appeared to be the transformers for the store on the west side of the building with some bus stop style shelters for smoking employees.

Spent some time looking around the grounds of the Meijer this morning and saw no signs of progress. I did not see any markings for running power nor any delivered equipment to be installed. I did see what appeared to be the transformers for the store on the west side of the building with some bus stop style shelters for smoking employees.

Can you please post a picture of this area? Online satellite images still show the building under construction (or woods, according to Google).