Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Escanaba, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
North of Escanaba is Rapid River-around 15 miles-this is where US 2 and US 41 split with 41 heading north towards Marquette. Rapid River has been identified as a location for a Michigan placed DCFC which more than likely means CCS.

Are you talking about the sites on this map? https://www.michigan.gov/images/climateandenergy/ChargeUpMiStationsR1_689330_7.jpg

Rapid River shows among dozens of "proposed" sites, but it is does show Iron Mountain / Norway as "approved" (apparently the only "approved site in the UP). I have no idea of likely timetable...

More info here: Climate and Energy - EV Charger Funding Opportunities

Are you talking about the sites on this map? https://www.michigan.gov/images/climateandenergy/ChargeUpMiStationsR1_689330_7.jpg

Rapid River shows among dozens of "proposed" sites, but it is does show Iron Mountain / Norway as "approved" (apparently the only "approved site in the UP). I have no idea of likely timetable...

More info here: Climate and Energy - EV Charger Funding Opportunities
Norway has received funding, ordered their DCFC (kW is unknown) and wants to have this CCS charger installed before snow covers the ground.

I’m in Esky right now. Went to Leigh’s Garden winery on Friday. Very interesting story. Michigan state representative Beau LaFave visited recently and Leigh expressed his dissatisfaction that he can only do small pours yet bars can serve copious amounts of alcohol. Beau got on that and now wineries can serve just the same. I know this is in Tesla’s hands but we need Beau on this! He grew up in the Yoop! Let’s contact him!

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I reached out to Marty Fittante for insight.

Fittante Marty | Michigan Business

From Marty;

“I know the governmental affairs lead for Tesla, Tim Ward, for Michigan very well. Additionally, I have a contact with senior leadership for Meijers as well. And, lastly, I can reach out to the Michigan Municipal League to try to get some understanding on what is taking place with citing some super-chargers in some communities while others struggle.”

From Tim;

“The good news is a supercharging station is still in the plans for Tesla. The buildout is delayed, my guess is COVID related because costs were pushed out. It looks like next spring is when this is now planned.“

It is a only a 50kW charger but with the ability to be upgraded to 100kW in the future via the agreement.

It seems curious that Norway, pop. 2845, is slated for a DCFC, but Escanaba, pop. 12,616 is not (2010 numbers). OTOH, perhaps Norway requested it, has people who are working to make it happen, and Escanaba did not and does not.

Why do we think the DCFC will be CCS only? Is there some document stating that?

It seems curious that Norway, pop. 2845, is slated for a DCFC, but Escanaba, pop. 12,616 is not (2010 numbers). OTOH, perhaps Norway requested it, has people who are working to make it happen, and Escanaba did not and does not.

Why do we think the DCFC will be CCS only? Is there some document stating that?
VW emission funds for electric car charging via the State of Michigan. It will be a ChargePoint CCS charger. VW uses CCS ports and is the parent company of Electrify America which has a national wide charging network of CCS and CHAdeMO ports. Norway sought out the funding.

I asked Norway about the charger and what connectors it had:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately I don't have any information on your adapter issue however the unit that we are installing is a Chargepoint Express 250. You may be able to find some information from the Chargepoint web site. Also, we do not yet have the project completed but should have installed by the end of the year.

Ray D. Anderson - City Manager
915 Main Street - P.O. Box 99 - Norway - MI – 49870
Phone: (906) 563-9961 ext. 205"

The charger will be a Chargepoint Express 250:

ChargePoint Express 250 | ChargePoint

It has both CCS and CHAdeMO plugs, so all we should need is the CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter and a Chargepoint account.

I asked Norway about the charger and what connectors it had:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately I don't have any information on your adapter issue however the unit that we are installing is a Chargepoint Express 250. You may be able to find some information from the Chargepoint web site. Also, we do not yet have the project completed but should have installed by the end of the year.

Ray D. Anderson - City Manager
915 Main Street - P.O. Box 99 - Norway - MI – 49870
Phone: (906) 563-9961 ext. 205"

The charger will be a Chargepoint Express 250:

ChargePoint Express 250 | ChargePoint

It has both CCS and CHAdeMO plugs, so all we should need is the CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter and a Chargepoint account.
Then this is a 62.5kW charger as found in Gaylord, Michigan.

I’m in Esky right now. Went to Leigh’s Garden winery on Friday. Very interesting story. Michigan state representative Beau LaFave visited recently and Leigh expressed his dissatisfaction that he can only do small pours yet bars can serve copious amounts of alcohol. Beau got on that and now wineries can serve just the same. I know this is in Tesla’s hands but we need Beau on this! He grew up in the Yoop! Let’s contact him!
Did you ask Leigh if he would be able to put in charging? I know of many wineries, brewpubs and distilleries that have put in charging. As you know Tesla owners are very appreciative with their spending at places that support our charging needs! Maybe help with a go fund me? Maybe call it Da Tesla Yooper Go fund and help support chargers strategically located to transit the UP.

Called Tesla ask status and to point out the need. Told it was slated for 2020 and covid......
Mentioned how difficult and far to cross the UP, can't do the circle tour and there are plans to site a low-orbit launch site near Marquette, the other hopeful SC site, etc. Mentioned Michigan is going to beat them with a charger in Norway before they manage to get one in the UP and its been 888 days already. His ears perked up when I mentioned the launch site. 2021 has got to be a better year!

Reactions: GSP and Thp3
Called Tesla ask status and to point out the need. Told it was slated for 2020 and covid......
Mentioned how difficult and far to cross the UP, can't do the circle tour and there are plans to site a low-orbit launch site near Marquette, the other hopeful SC site, etc. Mentioned Michigan is going to beat them with a charger in Norway before they manage to get one in the UP and its been 888 days already. His ears perked up when I mentioned the launch site. 2021 has got to be a better year!

Who did you call at Tesla? How did you find a number to actually talk to a human? Perhaps it would help if more of us called and reiterated the need...

If they understand the need, why has it been 888+days since the permit was taken out? They've put up thousands of chargers around the world in that time-why not Escanaba?

I’m not connected with Tesla, so I can’t provide specific answers as to why this particular location is taking a long time. Some possible reasons may include permit difficulties, construction restrictions, contractor delays, more pressing matters on Tesla’s plate, negotiations with land owners taking longer than expected, negotiations with the utility company, weather windows and much more.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200 and GSP
I’m not connected with Tesla, so I can’t provide specific answers as to why this particular location is taking a long time. Some possible reasons may include permit difficulties, construction restrictions, contractor delays, more pressing matters on Tesla’s plate, negotiations with land owners taking longer than expected, negotiations with the utility company, weather windows and much more.

Just to add to what @Big Earl said, there are often a whole bunch of parties involved in building a SC that we never see. For instance, Meijer may or may not own the land the store is on. Here in Minneapolis, home of Target headquarters, some Target stores are on property owned by Target, some on leased property (and that lease arrangement can take many forms). If it's leased property, that's another whole party (or parties) that has to get involved with, i.e., must approve, the construction. And that means more negotiations which take more time. And that assumes all the parties can come to an agreement, which isn't always the case. We watched a truck stop for two years because the Alexandria SC was going to be built there. But they couldn't come to an agreement, and it was eventually moved to a Target store up the road.

In MN, several Chademo chargers are being deployed around the state courtesy of the state's VW money. They're being built by the municipal electric utilities in various towns. So, you'd think they all should go lickety-split since the power companies can put it pretty much wherever they want, and if they use municipal parking lots, they don't even have to negotiate for the real estate. Well, they're all at different stages of completion, some nearly done, some won't even start for another year or two. In many cases, there has been further delay caused by longer-than-normal lead times on getting transformers because Covid is causing disruption in the supply chain. Escanaba was flagged for a SC before Covid arrived, obviously, but it may still be adding drag to the process.

I hate waiting as much as anyone, but I don't think Tesla is the bottleneck.