Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Etobicoke ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? I don’t see it being more important than any other location.
2 reasons.

1. Lots of people with no home charging live within a 10 minute drive.

2. Inagine youre going from Oshawa to visit someone in ancaster near hamilton and back in a model x 75d with your family and its 10 below out. What's your charging strategy? Knowing you will average about 300 whpkm and your car can go about 230 km from a full charge in thrse conditions and this is a 280 km journey

Where do you charge? Drive down the dvp to TORONTO on the way whicj and hope they're working or hope it's not a 30 minute lineup ? And when you get there at 75% it takes ages to charge. Or do you gamble to get back there on the way home ?

Concord? :)

Or go 20 km each way out of your way to Grimsby ?

Sherway on the way there or home would be a perfect solution

Reactions: TrevTremaine
It is less than 10k from my house... therefore this is the most important SC in the world!!! :p:p:p

I look at it the other way around: I can charge at home and would rather see the investments far away from me in the areas that I wish to travel to. Having a Supercharger near my home is next to useless to me. (I get that there are folks with no home charging options).

Reactions: Chuq
I look at it the other way around: I can charge at home and would rather see the investments far away from me in the areas that I wish to travel to. Having a Supercharger near my home is next to useless to me. (I get that there are folks with no home charging options).

I was just saying it tongue in cheek. I charge at home as well and wil likely never use Sherway, although my wife seems to think this is a guarantee to get me to go to the mall with her! Not going to happen.

I am just happy to see new SC's anywhere. Good for all of us.

Reactions: mknox
Positionally, it's good because it's essentially a prime location given the intersection of highways, it's proximity to the downtown core (just far enough out for those who don't want to travel downtown), a good commuter respite point (better than Liberty village) especially for those either going out west or coming in from the west or north. It's the only SC that's close to the downtown core on the west side.

same here.

I live 4 kms from one of the proposed supercharger locations and don't really care about it to be honest as it won't help me. but I have a garage.

close-to-home superchargers for people who live outside the GTA will be handy for those locals when they forget to charge their car and need to go somewhere far. That happened to me a couple of times in Oakville...no fast charging within 40 kms drive. An oakville supercharger would have allowed me to limp up there and blast in 100-150 kms of range in 10-15 minutes rather than waiting 1-2 hrs for my home charging to get me to enough range to reach my destination or a SC (closest then was Toronto (nightmare in traffic hours) or Grimbsy (rarely was I heading towards grimsby for...anything).

2 reasons.

1. Lots of people with no home charging live within a 10 minute drive.

2. Inagine youre going from Oshawa to visit someone in ancaster near hamilton and back in a model x 75d with your family and its 10 below out. What's your charging strategy? Knowing you will average about 300 whpkm and your car can go about 230 km from a full charge in thrse conditions and this is a 280 km journey

Where do you charge? Drive down the dvp to TORONTO on the way whicj and hope they're working or hope it's not a 30 minute lineup ? And when you get there at 75% it takes ages to charge. Or do you gamble to get back there on the way home ?

Concord? :)

Or go 20 km each way out of your way to Grimsby ?

Sherway on the way there or home would be a perfect solution
This could apply to any route not just this one.

The good part of all of this, is that as more come online I think the way we use SCs will change accordingly. Instead of going for a full charge, more people will look at a boost charge to get them the range to get where they want to go. It won't change everyone, but it provides options.

I am curious given the way they are dispersing the SCs whether Model 3 orders also factor into deciding where the units go or if they've got a long-term game plan to build the infrastructure. I'm also disappointed that other manufacturers aren't willing to build into the network that Tesla has already created, but rather force alternative networks for whatever reason.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Remember that it was only a year ago that Tesla changed their policy of Superchargers being only designed for long distance travel between cities.

When did they change their Supercharger policy to say only looking distance?

This is a quote from Tesla's website from September 2017:

"Now, as part of our commitment to make Tesla ownership easy for everyone, including those without immediate access to home or workplace charging, we are expanding our Supercharger network"

Why? I don’t see it being more important than any other location.

For those of us that live in the Western part of the GTA it will be far more convenient for us than any current SC location in the GTA. I live in Brampton and I'm frequently in the downtown core. There have been times where I leave home with a 90% charge to go downtown and return in the evening with let's say 40% charge. It would be nice if I could juice up on the way home so I can go out again after getting home without having to wait hours for the car to charge. Going to Vaughn Mills, Markham or Pickering aren't viable options for people like me. I assume you live in the Eastern part of the GTA where you now have options that are convenient.

Reactions: TrevTremaine

Perhaps a SC near you is far from someone else that wants to travel to your area???

This is a quote from Tesla's website from September 2017:

"Now, as part of our commitment to make Tesla ownership easy for everyone, including those without immediate access to home or workplace charging, we are expanding our Supercharger network"
Sorry. I poorly phrased this. I had to rush to finish the post I had started and messed it up. (Should have used the word from instead of of) What I meant to say was that a year ago the Supercharger Network was designed for distance travel between cities, but since then they have reassessed their network and now they are building Superchargers inside cities to help owners who are unable to charge at home. Actually I had time today to check on that announcement, and I find it hard to believe, as you pointed out, that it was only in September that it was made. I thought it had to have been earlier in 2017 than that. Which even more so begs the question of your impatience about “Oakville, Mississauga, Burlington, Milton, Etobicoke, Hamilton, Brantford have zero Supercharger service”. It does take time to permit and build these things, and September is only four months ago. I think they have done well to achieve what they have in such a short time, in the late fall and winter in Canada.

You are correct. Originally the network was intended to enable long distance travel, and Tesla even went so far as to start "warning" owners who appeared to be over-using the network near their homes.

This philosophy changed somewhat in recognition that some urban dwellers in condos, apartments and such might have no way to charge at home. There is a two pronged approach to address this: workplace destination charging and "urban" superchargers.

Perhaps a SC near you is far from someone else that wants to travel to your area???

There are loads of L2 and Tesla destination chargers around my parts. When I travel from Toronto to Chicago to visit my daughter and son-in-law, I use the Supercharger network extensively on the trip. But once I'm there, I make use of L2 stations and 120 volt outlets.

Actually I had time today to check on that announcement, and I find it hard to believe, as you pointed out, that it was only in September that it was made. I thought it had to have been earlier in 2017 than that.
The first announcement was actually made back in April:

Here is a story from The Verge:
Tesla is making a big expansion to its Supercharger network
Perhaps the most interesting bit of information in the post is that Tesla wants to make charging “ubiquitous in urban centers,” where street-parking customers may not have easy access to reliable daily charging, like they might in the suburbs.

Reactions: Struja
Perhaps the most interesting bit of information in the post is that Tesla wants to make charging “ubiquitous in urban centers,” where street-parking customers may not have easy access to reliable daily charging, like they might in the suburbs.

Yeah, and on that note, it completely suits Toronto where there's so many houses that don't even have their own driveways. I remember someone who attempted to charge their car via an extension cord crossing the sidewalk and getting flack about it. What other way can people who want to get an EV get charged when the city itself has such a poor design? Not everyone will be able to get a their own chargers due to the cost and the way their houses are set up, let alone those renting or in older condos.