Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Etobicoke ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know, maybe when driving yourself will be a thing of the past you will still be apt to drive.
It may be illegal for humans to drive in the future. If autonomous driving eliminates 90%+ of accidents, as some estimates suggest, then it wouldn't be surprising if governments outlaw non-autonomous vehicles.

Driving Your Car Will Soon Be Illegal

Tesla CEO Elon Musk shocked the world when he proclaimed, “people may outlaw driving cars because it’s too dangerous.” With two billion legacy vehicles on the roads today, a full transition to autonomous vehicles will take nearly two decades to achieve.

I can believe that level 3 automation will be available in a few years, but I think level 4 and 5 automation (and cars without steering wheels) will be many years behind that, maybe a few decades. Level 3 would be able to handle maybe 80% of drives - the ones in "normal" locations and conditions, so it is still very important for improving safety, but it will be a long time before the technology is good enough that the driver can sleep. Because of that, I think outlawing driving is also a long way off.

Does it look like it’s all ready to go other than a power up? This location would be awesome for US trips leaving from Toronto. I live in Barrie and drive 100kms to work. Having to cross the border from work a stop close by like this one would eliminate the need to stop in grimsby

Wife just drove by. Still not ready. Not powered up and caution tape here and there. Not sure what the hold up is looks completed.

Attachments

• 4678ED8E-BB9A-4A80-AED6-A33DB1CBB719.jpeg
    4678ED8E-BB9A-4A80-AED6-A33DB1CBB719.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 82
  • F17AB9C6-937F-4DD8-816A-332AD7708654.jpeg
    F17AB9C6-937F-4DD8-816A-332AD7708654.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: MarcoRP
Wife just drove by. Still not ready. Not powered up and caution tape here and there. Not sure what the hold up is looks completed.
the hold up would include the fence that isn't done. I was there saturday too and just checked it out. You can pull right up, park, even plug your car in and lock on, but no charge. Looking forward to it...it's an important location for me.

Tesla owners "test" their charging against providers to ensure things work prior to road trips.

I personally did this with CHAdeMO adapter (loaned) and FLO, ChargePoint accounts prior to my Quebec road trip.

Turns out the only network I used was FLO (AddEnergi) and the FLO app didn't work on one of the old chargers I was at so I also used a cell phone call ... old tech, but worked.

That is one reason why you might see a Tesla at a non-Tesla station even if there are Tesla stations close.

Reactions: mknox
Tesla owners "test" their charging against providers to ensure things work prior to road trips.

I personally did this with CHAdeMO adapter (loaned) and FLO, ChargePoint accounts prior to my Quebec road trip.

Turns out the only network I used was FLO (AddEnergi) and the FLO app didn't work on one of the old chargers I was at so I also used a cell phone call ... old tech, but worked.

That is one reason why you might see a Tesla at a non-Tesla station even if there are Tesla stations close.
Good points.
In that owners defense the nearest supercharger to sherway is a 40 min drive away

Looking at the hydro towers in the background of the picture you wonder how hard it would be to run a couple of cables to power up that supercharger.

I know you're probably joking (?) but those are transmission towers operating at 115 or 230 kV and would require a massive substation to transform the power down to utilization levels not to mention the costs associated with being a transmission-connected customer (now I'm joking... typically only HUGE factories, mining operations etc. are transmission connected).