Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Etobicoke ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping the way to go would be to lean more towards free charging, as that would be a sure way for companies to attract people in cities (condos/apts) to buy an ev. I didn't expect that from conpanies like Tesla, because clearly it is not profitable. I was expecting that from the government as a push to meet their EV targets. Even creating more L2 charging would help. Malls would be perfect places to offer that. Wondering if we'll see more free places like IKEA in the future, or more of a charge base.. probably the latter, hah

I was hoping the way to go would be to lean more towards free charging, .... I was expecting that from the government as a push to meet their EV targets.
Which government? The one that soon may be run by Doug Ford? You have to be careful about structuring your business around government subsidies as those can go away when governments change.

I would agree about putting more L2 charging in malls but I also think it makes sense to charge people at least a small amount. Otherwise everyone will attempt to use free charging when available, even if they have perfectly good charging at home. I sometimes drive to downtown Toronto and when I do I make sure to use the free L2 charging offered in many of the office complexes, despite the fact that I have an HPWC at home that can charge at 240V/80A.

Which government? The one that soon may be run by Doug Ford? You have to be careful about structuring your business around government subsidies as those can go away when governments change.

I would agree about putting more L2 charging in malls but I also think it makes sense to charge people at least a small amount. Otherwise everyone will attempt to use free charging when available, even if they have perfectly good charging at home. I sometimes drive to downtown Toronto and when I do I make sure to use the free L2 charging offered in many of the office complexes, despite the fact that I have an HPWC at home that can charge at 240V/80A.
Haha indeed. I just want exactly what you said, some l2 charging not only in office buildings, but everywhere there's a parking lot. I'm also ok with paying the amount for electricity.. just not $25 a charge every time. Although malls can make money off enticing people with free charging because PSOE spend time shppping

... I am partial to the Baka Mobile which I believe generates all of their energy from their solar panels.
Let's just say they offset some or all of the energy they use with what they generate from solar power. I generate about 12.5 MWh per year from my solar panels but I almost always charge my Tesla at night. Are my solar panels charging my car?

I generate about 12.5 MWh per year from my solar panels but I almost always charge my Tesla at night. Are my solar panels charging my car?

Strictly speaking, no. If you are feeding out from your house during the day (likely) then someone else is using your solar power. When you charge overnight, you are probably mostly nuclear. Financially, then yes, your solar panels are paying for your vehicle charging.

nein
Model S got free supercharging for life up to 2015 at least
My 2015 70D had it. My P90D has it.

OK, so I wasn't sufficiently specific enough. The new S and X cars do not automatically get free supercharging. I believe that the earliest adopters didn't get it either - 2013 or so. It was removed at the beginning of 2017 by my recollection and now only by referral. I am unsure of what happens on CPOs that were built during those time frames. It's changed and changed and changed that getting down to the specifics isn't worth my time.

I believe that the earliest adopters didn't get it either - 2013 or so.

Unlimited lifetime supercharging is indeed provided with Tesla Model S made from 2012 on, except in one limited circumstance.
Early pre-autopilot Model S with 40 kWh or 60 kWh pack sizes needed to pay an additional fee to enable supercharging, whereupon it would be no cost to supercharge.

My 2013 VIN 6xxx CPO Tesla Model S absolutely has free unlimited lifetime supercharging with the car, this is listed clearly in the CPO contract. It doesn't matter if the car is bought/sold or who has the ownership, supercharging is attached to the car (VIN) itself.

Tesla can choose to disable the ability to supercharge if the car has suffered accident damage that "totals" the vehicle in terms of the insurance settlement. Therefore, do not buy "rebuilt" Tesla vehicles if supercharging is important to you.

Tesla can choose to disable the ability to supercharge if the car has suffered accident damage that "totals" the vehicle in terms of the insurance settlement. Therefore, do not buy "rebuilt" Tesla vehicles if supercharging is important to you.
Interesting - so Tesla has a financial incentive to see as many older cars totaled as possible ...

Every one that's totaled reduces Tesla's liability for free Supercharging.

OK, so I wasn't sufficiently specific enough. The new S and X cars do not automatically get free supercharging. I believe that the earliest adopters didn't get it either - 2013 or so. It was removed at the beginning of 2017 by my recollection and now only by referral. I am unsure of what happens on CPOs that were built during those time frames. It's changed and changed and changed that getting down to the specifics isn't worth my time.
free supercharging for life used to be car based. Now I believe it's owner based while they own that car (for the newer people who got free supercharging by way of the referral program). But the second owner pays. The early cars pre 17 70-75-85-90-100 have that nice little bonus for preowned buyers as they get the supercharging for life. Wonder what that's really worth. I supercharge a lot but stil I reckon it's the equivalent of about $250/year if I had just charged at home (equiv of 25x full charges or thereabouts for about 10,000 kms and then another few thousand kms where I drive around in town/near home). Not that big of a deal to not get it.

There were a couple of people who bought nearly new CPO cars recently who had the unfortunate circumstance of finding out they don't get free supercharging for life after they'd bought the car, only the original owner did while he owned that car.

Tesla has a financial incentive to see as many older cars totaled as possible ...
Every one that's totaled reduces Tesla's liability for free Supercharging.

Way off base in my direct experience, and all evidence.

Tesla loves owners of used Tesla's like me, we're rolling marketing. The more Tesla Model S on the road the better. I have only ever seen Tesla supportive of the "classic" products like my original spec 2013 Model S (no folding mirrors, no autopilot, etc).

I still get updates to firmware, we routinely get benefit from new features.
Every time I've brought in for service on any issue, Tesla has solved it.

The CPO (used) warranty extended the life of our car from the original 2013-2017 100000 km to the year 2019 and 160000 km, so if Tesla didn't want these cars on the road, they have a funny way of doing that by offering the extended CPO warranty!

free supercharging for life used to be car based. Now I believe it's owner based while they own that car (for the newer people who got free supercharging by way of the referral program). But the second owner pays. The early cars pre 17 70-75-85-90-100 have that nice little bonus for preowned buyers as they get the supercharging for life. Wonder what that's really worth. I supercharge a lot but stil I reckon it's the equivalent of about $250/year if I had just charged at home (equiv of 25x full charges or thereabouts for about 10,000 kms and then another few thousand kms where I drive around in town/near home). Not that big of a deal to not get it.

There were a couple of people who bought nearly new CPO cars recently who had the unfortunate circumstance of finding out they don't get free supercharging for life after they'd bought the car, only the original owner did while he owned that car.
It is my understanding that all cars that had free supercharging will continue to get it, regardless of ownership!

It is my understanding that all cars that had free supercharging will continue to get it, regardless of ownership!
The early cars did, and it was tied to the vin so whoever buys that car for the life of the car will have free supercharging. I believe the latest version of free supercharging, which was given by referral, only applied to that first owner of that car.

Maybe someone has it in writing from the referral program?