Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Etobicoke ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
26165253_10156581963356002_7454912817554807126_n.jpg

Posted to Tesla Owners Worldwide Facebook page. Looks like these are urban chargers.
There's a couple other pictures but they don't show anything new from what I saw.

Someone just posted pictures in the FB group....it looks like this location is getting the Urban Superchargers that are limited to 72Kw...

I'm somewhat surprised at this. My initial understanding of the "urban" units was that they were designed to be able to utilize a larger building's own electrical service much how other DCFC (Flo, Chargepoint etc.) are usually configured. This site seems to have the full supercharing equipment and cabinets out there. I am wondering if this is to limit electrical demand (and associated utility charges) or because Tesla expects a lot of "locals" to be using them for extended periods?

This is disappointing as this spot will be VERY useful to me. I would argue that this is more of a highway than an urban site as it is at one of the busiest highway interchanges in the country. Lots of highway travellers will use this site - like me.

I make trips from Scarborough to Stoney Creek on a regular basis and during cold spells like we are having right now I have to be sure to range charge before I go because there are no SCs along the route unless I go out of my way to Concord or go to Lawrence which is almost home. On Christmas Eve I was SW of Hamilton at a relative's place in Caistor Centre and I had to hit the Grimsby site which was inconvenient as there was a road closure causing me to have to go several km east to make it down the escarpment. I wouldn't have had to use Grimsby if I had this as a fallback 30 km from home.

Having this SC at Sherway will be perfect for me, but with urban SCs it means that it will take longer to charge. They should have used the urban ones in Hamilton and put the rural ones here.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Honestly it's a wash for 75kWh packs, which taper below 72kW charging rate around 60% state of charge.

If my math is correct, Urban vs standard Supercharging for 75kWh packs translates to 6kWh less in the first 20 minutes, starting from 10% SoC. So from 10% to 50% it adds 5 minutes. Above 60% it no longer matters.

This could be almost completely offset by the fact that stalls don't share stacks.

Bigger packs will have more to say about the difference.

I have an 85 and I would be using this site on my way home as an emergency measure so I will be arriving with less than 10% SoC and just wanting to get enough SOC to get home. I live 34km from Sherway so I would need at least 10% to get home assuming 200Wh/km usage. So it shouldn't cost me too much time, but probably a few minutes.

I have an 85 and I would be using this site on my way home as an emergency measure so I will be arriving with less than 10% SoC and just wanting to get enough SOC to get home. I live 34km from Sherway so I would need at least 10% to get home assuming 200Wh/km usage. So it shouldn't cost me too much time, but probably a few minutes.
Time to add 34km (call it 7kW) to a 75kWh pack from 10% SoC, 1 minute ramp:

- Standard SC assuming no pairing with a neighbour: 5.4 minutes
- Urban SC: 6.8 minutes

This is disappointing as this spot will be VERY useful to me. I would argue that this is more of a highway than an urban site as it is at one of the busiest highway interchanges in the country. Lots of highway travellers will use this site - like me.

I make trips from Scarborough to Stoney Creek on a regular basis and during cold spells like we are having right now I have to be sure to range charge before I go because there are no SCs along the route unless I go out of my way to Concord or go to Lawrence which is almost home. On Christmas Eve I was SW of Hamilton at a relative's place in Caistor Centre and I had to hit the Grimsby site which was inconvenient as there was a road closure causing me to have to go several km east to make it down the escarpment. I wouldn't have had to use Grimsby if I had this as a fallback 30 km from home.

Having this SC at Sherway will be perfect for me, but with urban SCs it means that it will take longer to charge. They should have used the urban ones in Hamilton and put the rural ones here.

This is where the mixed supercharger option comes in handy. With 20 stalls, they could have made 12 regular SCs and 8 urban. This way those who are needing range charge can be in and out and those who are opportunity or local charging can have more time in the mall before coming out and needing to move.

I see it as analogous to gas stations with gasoline and diesel pumps. Not every station has diesel, typically for every 4 gas stations you pass, 1 has diesel. So in this analogy, the urban superchargers would be the diesel option in the comparison (of course as the numbers of diesel cars increased more gas stations started to offer diesel). The superchargesr are for allowance of long distance travel and the urban are for local opportunity and available charging, especially for those in condos etc. So the regular SCs should be the majority and in central city locations they should have a ratio of urban to regular superchargers. Just my opinion/thoughts.