Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Eureka, CA (LIVE, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're on our big summer road trip... We're meeting family in Cannon Beach OR tomorrow, and we spent last night at the Days Inn in Arcata since they are pet friendly and have a charger. Overnight charging combined with the AV network in Oregon (we did 2 CHAdeMO stops today) made the trip doable. The 2 hotels we're staying at in OR have HPWCs...

Had the Eureka Supercharger been open, we likely would have stayed south of Eureka last night instead pushing (with a bit of hypermiling-- we have a 60) to Arcata...

We may have seen you on 101 today. We passed a white S. We're heading south in a Sig Red. Staying in Yachats Friday night and Fortuna Saturday night. Was hoping for this supercharger but we'll get by.

We may have seen you on 101 today. We passed a white S. We're heading south in a Sig Red. Staying in Yachats Friday night and Fortuna Saturday night. Was hoping for this supercharger but we'll get by.

That was me -- I'm guessing you had just charged at Seaside? I was heading up there to charge and saw a Sig Red pass me...

Are you staying at the Ocean Cove Inn in Yachats? We stayed there on Wed night... I highly recommend the Green Salmon for coffee / breakfast -- just a couple block walk from the Ocean Cove Inn...

Last edited:
We passed through Eureka yesterday evening on our way to Crescent City. The site is largely finished, except for landscaping. The enclosure is built and there was a green transformer nearby, you can just barely see it in the photo left of the enclosure. A trailer blocked the view when we were closer to it so there was no point in trying to get a better pic.
P_20160724_184258.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
I think they have moved on to Crescent City...Site looks like it was pretty much done on Monday.
All of the spots are marked Tesla only(not 30 min or whatever else they use at some SC's)
you could easily use the last charger on the north end with an X and a trailer and block 1 other spot... or the first spot on the south and pull in forwards, parking on the landscape area but blocking no other spots(maybe get in trouble by the Mall Cops?)
1.jpg

2.jpg

Yes, it takes a while for any utility to hook up 8-10 superchargers. Keep in mind, this isn't like hooking up a regular service ... that thing has the load equivalent to hooking up 63 homes. The load factor (how much is average use / peak use) is also super high because of the nature of superchargers-- people use them constantly (maybe not in Eureka!)-- so that generates a lot more heat on the equipment than a high load user with a low load factor. So that means you have to oversize the local transformer and do an engineering analysis to make sure every piece of equipment upstream can take that load. If you mess that part up, you risk causing outages for everyone else in that community.

- K

Yes, it takes a while for any utility to hook up 8-10 superchargers. Keep in mind, this isn't like hooking up a regular service ... that thing has the load equivalent to hooking up 63 homes. The load factor (how much is average use / peak use) is also super high because of the nature of superchargers-- people use them constantly (maybe not in Eureka!)-- so that generates a lot more heat on the equipment than a high load user with a low load factor. So that means you have to oversize the local transformer and do an engineering analysis to make sure every piece of equipment upstream can take that load. If you mess that part up, you risk causing outages for everyone else in that community.

- K

- K
Thanks for the tutorial. Just kidding....

• Disagree
Reactions: ecarfan

- K
Yes, thank you for that perspective! I had not thought enough about the impact on the local infrastructure upstream from the transformer.

Well, I did a lunchtime loop past the SC-
PG&E was there yesterday and put in a junction box or maybe a disconnect for the HV line
Frame 2016.08.04 12-16-15 (0-00-42.725).jpg

SJL is there right now filling in a trench w/ AC
Frame 2016.08.04 12-16-42 (0-01-10.188).jpg

you can see the last green box that was put in yesterday on the right side
Frame 2016.08.04 12-16-18 (0-00-45.819).jpg

I imagine it just needs to be switched on. i'll drive by on my way home and see if the Tesla lights are on.

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
Just spoke with a PG&E gentleman working in the HV disconnect junction box (there is a name for what that unit actually is called, he asked if I knew what it was, hadn't heard the term before and it flew right out of my head)

August 9th is when PG&E said they will turn on their power to the transformer. Therre should be a bunch of work going on that day away from the SC area (towards the Mall or maybe in underground vaults?) After that it is up to the crew in Crescent city to come down and turn on the Cabinets. Maybe I can run up and do some work near CC tomorrow and poke the crew.

Just spoke with a PG&E gentleman working in the HV disconnect junction box (there is a name for what that unit actually is called, he asked if I knew what it was, hadn't heard the term before and it flew right out of my head)

August 9th is when PG&E said they will turn on their power to the transformer. Therre should be a bunch of work going on that day away from the SC area (towards the Mall or maybe in underground vaults?) After that it is up to the crew in Crescent city to come down and turn on the Cabinets. Maybe I can run up and do some work near CC tomorrow and poke the crew.
Might not be the same crew, actually. Learned from chatting with an electrician at the Lincoln City site that the guys who do all the excavation, conduit, concrete, enclosure, placing equipment, etc. are the "civil" crew (as in civil engineering, I think) but the electricians are different personnel who come in at the appropriate time to connect everything. I did not know that.

Might not be the same crew, actually. Learned from chatting with an electrician at the Lincoln City site that the guys who do all the excavation, conduit, concrete, enclosure, placing equipment, etc. are the "civil" crew (as in civil engineering, I think) but the electricians are different personnel who come in at the appropriate time to connect everything. I did not know that.
Makes sense, that is how we work. I should have made some noise and asked the Foreman in crescent city yesterday. He was watching the hole and when they made it in he was off to get lunch and headed away from my direction.

Reactions: Nevek