Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Euroa VIC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, Seymour is not the most ideal location (IMO). A few K's NE of Seymour is a Caltex truck stop at Avenel, which is just off the freeway, and has access to both Northbound & Southbound freeway lanes. It also has a large carpark suitable for SuperChargers?, is open 24/7 and has a cafe for typical truckie food. See:
https://goo.gl/maps/FHDg1
Seymour on the other hand, requires a significant detour off the freeway.
(Just my 5c worth)
Cheers, Greg.

It could be that they do choose that location in the end. it's close enough to Seymour to be called the "Seymour supercharger" from a national perspective!

Seymour itself does have advantages in that it is close to the intersection of a couple of other highways as well - roads to Shepparton and Bendigo, etc. It depends if Tesla's priority is the Hume route itself, or on other regional destinations off the highway. We will see!

Unfortunately, Seymour is not the most ideal location (IMO). A few K's NE of Seymour is a Caltex truck stop at Avenel, which is just off the freeway, and has access to both Northbound & Southbound freeway lanes. It also has a large carpark suitable for SuperChargers?, is open 24/7 and has a cafe for typical truckie food. See:
https://goo.gl/maps/FHDg1
Seymour on the other hand, requires a significant detour off the freeway.
(Just my 5c worth)
Cheers, Greg.

Pretty sure Tesla don't want anything to do with Petrol company owned service stations. Sure, you could still have it within the town which is close to the road but Seymour offers a lot more shops and services which would be more likely to be open later, being the larger town and is only 3 minutes off the Hume freeway, not to mention it is a hub for the area with a route north to Shepparton along the Goulburn Valley Fwy; a route East along the Goulburn Valley Hwy passing through towards Alexandra or Mansfield and even Mt. Buller, unlike Avenel where you'd have to backtrack for 15 minutes or drive on local roads vs the dual carriageways.

If you have to spend (upto) 40 minutes in a town to recharge, it may as well be Seymour, not to mention if you weren't going to Canberra or Sydney (most people I imagine) you'd need to head 15mins back past Seymour for one of the other roads.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Tesla don't want anything to do with Petrol company owned service stations. Sure, you could still have it within the town which is close to the road but Seymour offers a lot more shops and services which would be more likely to be open later, being the larger town and is only 3 minutes off the Hume freeway, not to mention it is a hub for the area with a route north to Shepparton along the Goulburn Valley Fwy; a route East along the Goulburn Valley Hwy passing through towards Alexandra or Mansfield and even Mt. Buller, unlike Avenel where you'd have to backtrack for 15 minutes or drive on local roads vs the dual carriageways.

If you have to spend (upto) 40 minutes in a town to recharge, it may as well be Seymour, not to mention if you weren't going to Canberra or Sydney (most people I imagine) you'd need to head 15mins back past Seymour for one of the other roads.

Yes, I suppose you are correct. If you are stopping for 30 to 40 minutes, a 5 minute detour off the freeway isn't going to make much of a difference.
And I also agree about the location better serving the other roads in the area.
It would also help the economy of Seymour as well, because as-is, most people now bypass it, either heading to Albury/Sydney, or Shepparton/Brisbane.
As for the ownership of the Avenel Caltex, I can't say who owns it. Most likely it is private, but could be corporate (maybe someone knows for sure) ?
GH

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I would like to supercharge as far away from a petrol station and fast food franchise as possible, A break now from the interstate drive could mean we are near a good cafe or park, picnic ground or restaurant. Supporting local communities to keep the fumes out of town!

I would like to supercharge as far away from a petrol station and fast food franchise as possible, A break now from the interstate drive could mean we are near a good cafe or park, picnic ground or restaurant. Supporting local communities to keep the fumes out of town!

I'll second that. Fuel stops are geared for fast turn around. We have the time at a stop to "smell the roses" supporting local communities that often get bypassed by the highways, yet in many cases avoiding the highway petrol station will only be adding minimal time to the trip with a turn off the main drag.

Whilst I agree to some degree, the advantage of installing Superchargers in fast food car parks is the facilities are open 24 hours. In this case Seymour McDonalds is open 24 hours and located close to the centre of town with other options like La Porcina only a few minutes walk, making it ideal in this case. In the end it will depend on who is willing to give up some parking spaces in the hope of additional business.

Whilst I agree to some degree, the advantage of installing Superchargers in fast food car parks is the facilities are open 24 hours. In this case Seymour McDonalds is open 24 hours and located close to the centre of town with other options like La Porcina only a few minutes walk, making it ideal in this case. In the end it will depend on who is willing to give up some parking spaces in the hope of additional business.
Maybe the Visitor Information Centre, seems to have quite a number of car parking spaces in the area and still close enough to Maccas, Old Post Office Restaurant, Subway.

Just browsing the maps in EVTripPlanner it suddenly occurred to me that Seymour is rather too close to Melbourne for a SC location it would seem. Seymour to Albury would be twice the hop of Melbourne to Seymour which doesn't seem optimal.

I wonder if this is why Tesla told me that Seymour was the least certain in timing and may even change location. Somewhere like Euroa would be closer to the middle of the Melbourne/Albury route. We may have to rename this thread :)

Just browsing the maps in EVTripPlanner it suddenly occurred to me that Seymour is rather too close to Melbourne for a SC location it would seem. Seymour to Albury would be twice the hop of Melbourne to Seymour which doesn't seem optimal.

I wonder if this is why Tesla told me that Seymour was the least certain in timing and may even change location. Somewhere like Euroa would be closer to the middle of the Melbourne/Albury route. We may have to rename this thread :)

Yep 170K to Euroa just over 140 more to Albury!

I think Seymour has lots of benefits:

* Not everyone will be travelling through the Melbourne CBD, and definitely won't all want to stop there. For those travelling from the Mornington Peninsula or Geelong, Seymour is within the 200km range.
* A supercharger at Seymour opens up the option of following the M39 on to Shepparton or Echuca (note: Euroa doesn't prevent this, but it isn't as convenient.) Possibly Bendigo as well, although it isn't as convenient if coming straight from Melbourne.
* You could even travel from Seymour to Ballarat in 200km - for when they open up superchargers in that direction.
* When they increase the density of that route, Wangaratta looks like a likely candidate - opening up travel to the ski fields. The gaps would then be 112km, 143km, 71km. If Euroa was used, they would be 164km, 87km, 71km. [I agree, once I did the maths on this it didn't look like that much of a difference. But I'd already done the maths by then, so I'll leave it!]

(As an aside, I've always used 200km as a benchmark for ideal supercharger distance - even though the range is typically twice that. I've gone by spacing of existing SCs. I guess Tesla use the "you can charge to 50% in x time" line a bit, so they want to make sure there is another one 50% down the road! Any insight from actual Tesla owners is welcome!)

We drove from home in Castlemaine with 422KM on the battery and travelled the 130KM to Melb then we drove around a lot. I use the supercharger in Richmond, battery down to 148km started charging @ 1;17pm 375volts 228 amps 449 km/h finished charging Approx 2 pm well before end of lunch @ the Top Padock.