Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Euroa VIC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sometimes gets forgetten is that people in country areas often do long drives back to back with home as a hub (eg Shep-Melb and then Shep Albury the next morning and unless you get 3 phase (highly recommended - as solved this issue for us) a supercharger near home is then a necessity if you need to use most of a 100kwh battery for round trips and can't build in charging time at the away destination.

What sometimes gets forgetten is that people in country areas often do long drives back to back with home as a hub (eg Shep-Melb and then Shep Albury the next morning and unless you get 3 phase (highly recommended - as solved this issue for us) a supercharger near home is then a necessity if you need to use most of a 100kwh battery for round trips and can't build in charging time at the away destination.
Just to play devil's advocate, even in that scenario you'd still be fine with home charging. Single phase is 9.6kW (40Ax240V) and takes a 100kWh battery from 10% to 100% in about 9 hours overnight (plug in at 9pm and leave at 6am).
Where a local supercharger is handy is for unplanned, urgent trips where you find yourself at 40% and suddenly get a call to drive out bush. Now that I'm further from the SC I tend to keep the car around 70% just in case. A local SC would let me be a bit more flexible.

Reactions: lennier
Just to play devil's advocate, even in that scenario you'd still be fine with home charging. Single phase is 9.6kW (40Ax240V) and takes a 100kWh battery from 10% to 100% in about 9 hours overnight (plug in at 9pm and leave at 6am).

That works if you have a 40A connection. I live in a unit block where I have a standard 10A wall plug (I may be able to double this when the time comes through the body corporate as my L/U Garage is very close to the meter room).
When I get my Model 3 and I am coming back into Sydney or driving UBER on the weekends, I would need to charge at a Supercharger up to 80% before completing the rest of my charge at my home near Penrith.

That works if you have a 40A connection. I live in a unit block where I have a standard 10A wall plug (I may be able to double this when the time comes through the body corporate as my L/U Garage is very close to the meter room).
When I get my Model 3 and I am coming back into Sydney or driving UBER on the weekends, I would need to charge at a Supercharger up to 80% before completing the rest of my charge at my home near Penrith.
Definitely standard 10A won’t be enough if you’re planning to do hundreds of kms every day.
If you’re near the meter box it’s just as easy for the electrician to make it 40A as it is for 20A.
If your building has 3 phase that’s much better. You would be pulling 24A on each line, so 72A total. It’s actually easier on the wiring than single phase (if your building has 3 phase).

Any high daily mileage usage really needs to have high capacity home charging factored in to the equation before deciding to proceed. The new 'urban' superchargers may change that when they eventually roll out in quantity but until then supercharger use for daily driving is specifically discouraged and shouldn't be the default charging strategy.

Any high daily mileage usage really needs to have high capacity home charging factored in to the equation before deciding to proceed. The new 'urban' superchargers may change that when they eventually roll out in quantity but until then supercharger use for daily driving is specifically discouraged and shouldn't be the default charging strategy.
LOL, tell that to the hire cars that occupy most of the Sydney stalls most of the day.
Anyway, the days of free supercharging are almost over. Apparently from next year even a referral won't get you free charging on a new car.

I agree with the comments above. I live in Richmond Victoria and rarely use the Supercharger and its free to me.
Agree for most of us, and given the price of an S or an X, the $16 for an off-peak overnight empty to full charge of a 100 battery really shouldn't be an issue, so it was time, not cost that was on my mind with the original post. We went from 10A straight to 3 phase given an issue with the previous wiring lead-in capacity and our solar, induction cooking, etc etc, so if a single phase with capacity is good enough to get at least 40km/h worth of charging, then the times a supercharger is needed near home will be rare.

Agree for most of us, and given the price of an S or an X, the $16 for an off-peak overnight empty to full charge of a 100 battery really shouldn't be an issue, so it was time, not cost that was on my mind with the original post. We went from 10A straight to 3 phase given an issue with the previous wiring lead-in capacity and our solar, induction cooking, etc etc, so if a single phase with capacity is good enough to get at least 40km/h worth of charging, then the times a supercharger is needed near home will be rare.
I'd expect very rare for most people. I have 32A single phase and it puts around 35 typical km per hour. I've arrived home from a long trip with 50km or so of range left and had the car at 90% ready in the morning in my S85. My charger is set to only operate off peak - so starting at 11pm..

On my way to Sydney from Adelaide last week, I ran out of energy (me, not the car) at Euroa. I decided to spend the night at a local motel with a destination charger instead of using the SC up the road. The otherwise pleasant Castle Creek Motor Inn has the slowest wall charger I've ever encountered - 15 km/h, not much better than a power point. My advice - use the SC for a few minutes instead if you are staying overnight.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark E and bradjc
I live in Bacchus Marsh and make periodic day trips to Bendigo region that can be from 300 to 400 km in total. A Bendigo supercharger would make these trips much easier and would nicely fill a noticeable gap in North Central Victoria charging infrastructure.

Driving a 75D Model S

Hello fellow Mooraboolite! Also in a 75, I'd find a Bendigo charger very handy too. I often travel to Echuca and there isn't a lot of options right now if it's a quick trip so requires some planning. Bendigo I'm sure is on the 'roadmap' but I don't expect to see one there for a year or two at least. I've stopped at the Big 4 Caravan park a couple of times and has been a handy stop for a picnic lunch etc. Bit out of the way but decent charge speed (50kms/h) and nice spot. With 6 superchargers due to be built in Vic this year I feel like we're doing pretty well here, but would definitely vote for Bendigo in 2019.

Hello fellow Mooraboolite! Also in a 75, I'd find a Bendigo charger very handy too. I often travel to Echuca and there isn't a lot of options right now if it's a quick trip so requires some planning. Bendigo I'm sure is on the 'roadmap' but I don't expect to see one there for a year or two at least. I've stopped at the Big 4 Caravan park a couple of times and has been a handy stop for a picnic lunch etc. Bit out of the way but decent charge speed (50kms/h) and nice spot. With 6 superchargers due to be built in Vic this year I feel like we're doing pretty well here, but would definitely vote for Bendigo in 2019.

Or try this cool one only 30km out of Bendigo !

Ceramet.png

• Love
Reactions: Mark E and bradjc
I see the Bridgewater station shade panels only generate 3kW per car park (24kW total), does anyone know if it's grid connected or supplemented by the large solar collectors in the background?
It is grid connected, but is only open business hours Mon to Fri at this stage (they hope to have 24/7 availability in the “near future”).

Also need a type 2 to type 2 cable for a Tesla (various cable types were available for loan from the office when I visited in December).

Peter

Euroa 2a was cutting out on me the other day from 96kw to 0kw , I moved to 1b which worked fine. Also had an issue a few weeks ago with 3a only charging at 20kw even though I was the only car there with 100km range left. Anybody else had charging problems at Euroa?
Btw Both days were hot 3a over 40c and 2a 36c

Euroa 2a was cutting out on me the other day from 96kw to 0kw , I moved to 1b which worked fine. Also had an issue a few weeks ago with 3a only charging at 20kw even though I was the only car there with 100km range left. Anybody else had charging problems at Euroa?
Btw Both days were hot 3a over 40c and 2a 36c

3B was only charging at 22kw for me on January 2 and January 10, no other cars there.