Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Evanston WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped in at the Hampton Inn in Evanston today to check on the supercharger. It looks totally complete with transformer in place but no enclosure, might be missing some signage or parking bumpers and the transformer was not humming. I inquired at the front desk and they said they were waiting on some type of check or approval and it should be up within a day or two. Rock springs is live right now (see the Rock Springs thread), so I'm fairly certain this info is correct.

The front desk staff was eager to learn about Tesla so I took them out and showed them my Model S90D as much as I could until a customer came and they had to get back to work.

I should also mention that I asked the Tesla employees at the Salt Lake City supercharger and they said I-80 through Wyoming should be ready in a month or two, but my read was that they were just giving me a stock response and didn't really have any particular insight. The fact that the Rock Springs supercharger was open when I went through 4 hours later solidified my opinion. It was probably even up and running as when I asked them the question.

PLUS EV you are like an Astronaut braving I-80 without knowing if the SCs were open. What was your plan if Rock Springs wasn't open?
I had a reservation at the Rock Springs KOA. I actually stopped in there on the way into town but I wanted to get supercharger pics before it got dark so I told them I'd be back in a few minutes after I went into town. I was pleasantly surprised that the supercharger was up and running so I called back and cancelled :) I think they might have charged me the $21 car charging fee anyways but I was just thrilled to save 4 hours and to be the (presumably) first one to plug in at the Rock Springs supercharger!

I'd be curious what your SoC was when you left Red Lodge and then arrived at Cooke City and then, presumably, Mammoth Hot Springs.
See the West Yellowstone thread for the bad news!

In fairness, I got to the park pretty late and likely wouldn't have done much other than drive through anyway (I've been to Yellowstone 3 or 4 times before and wasn't planning much besides a drive through on this trip anyway so don't feel too bad for me), but the fact that the West Yellowstone supercharger showed up as temporarily closed on my nav as soon as I entered the park, definitely changed the way I enjoyed the last 2-3 hours before sunset in the park. Rather than enjoying the scenery and stopping at the lookouts, I had to stay on the most efficient path through the park and spent most of the time checking my phone for cell service so I could get an answer about the supercharger and potentially figure out a backup plan or a place to stay, etc.

But to answer your question, I left the Billings supercharger with 284 rated miles which is 99-100% on my MS90D with 45k miles, drove to Red Lodge, arrived at ~204 RM, plugged into the public HPWC, walked to the pizza place (basically no other sit-down restaurant open at 3pm on a Sunday), charged for an hour and a half and ended up full again at 284 RM. Then I drove over the Beartooth, somewhere around Cooke City, I was notified that the West Yellowstone supercharger was down, so I drove straight through the park hypermiling as best I could, with the idea that if the supercharger was down when I got there, I would still have the option of limping into the Idaho Falls supercharger which is what I ended up doing.

Bizarre--when I go in to Find Us, it still shows as coming soon:
Find Us | Tesla

Your link shows otherwise!
There's often a lag between when one or the other page(s) get updated, so I try and check all three (including the map), and/or wait for someone to say it's showing on the car nav. I don't consider use reported here/on Supercharge.info as definite, as sometimes a site may be briefly up for testing purposes and someone uses it, but then goes off-line again - this happened for a considerable period of time with a site in Michigan (Bay City?) IIRR, and a few others.

Reactions: KJD