Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Evanston WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with the City of Evanston Planning & Zoning department today. They indicated they had received a preliminary site plan for a 6-stall supercharger at the Hampton Inn but they stressed that it was only a preliminary plan and the city has not received a formal application. When the application is submitted it would indicate that the Hampton Inn has approved the use of their property.

Here's hoping it will come soon.

Just spoke to the City Planner for the City of Evanston, WY. He confirmed that a building permit has been issued to GDP Group of Akron, OH, for the construction of a Tesla Supercharger station at the Hampton Inn in Evanston. This application requires approval from the State Plan Review Office for the electrical work, but that approval has been granted conditional upon a few very minor changes. The city has given the green light to begin construction.

No word on when construction might actually begin.

I'm happy this one is finally going in, but I agree the location is... meh. There's nothing down there at all. I had hoped they would have plopped it over by the Walmart area of town where there's at least food options.

Another hotel Supercharger. While I always welcome new locations, these are not my favorite sites due to ICEing. Hotel lots can get very full late at night.

+1

Definitely a poor choice of locations.

Beggars can't be choosers I guess. Now I need to start pushing some businesses along the route from Evanston up to Jackson Hole to install destination chargers. I think you can make it from one to the other with a range charge in Evanston in an 85, but it would be tight in winter. Something in Cokeville or Afton would be a huge help.

Reactions: Piney999 and KJD
Just spoke to the City Planner for the City of Evanston, WY. He confirmed that a building permit has been issued to GDP Group of Akron, OH, for the construction of a Tesla Supercharger station at the Hampton Inn in Evanston. This application requires approval from the State Plan Review Office for the electrical work, but that approval has been granted conditional upon a few very minor changes. The city has given the green light to begin construction.

No word on when construction might actually begin.

Thanks.

The location for Rock Springs, WY is also known. They might get the permits for both and put them out to tender together. But, unless there are significant destinations close to those Superchargers, I'm thinking that they'll "do a Nebraska" and try to get locations for Rawlins, WY and Laramie, WY to give them the whole chain before they begin.

Another hotel Supercharger. While I always welcome new locations, these are not my favorite sites due to ICEing. Hotel lots can get very full late at night.
It depends. The supercharger in Moab is at a hotel and is often blocked by gas guzzlers. Now the location at Tremonton is also at a hotel and I have never seen anyone other than Tesla's parked in the charging stalls.

Beggars can't be choosers I guess. Now I need to start pushing some businesses along the route from Evanston up to Jackson Hole to install destination chargers. I think you can make it from one to the other with a range charge in Evanston in an 85, but it would be tight in winter. Something in Cokeville or Afton would be a huge help.

Perhaps @pox could expand his network to Afton or even Montpelier. Montpelier could facilitate Evanston-Jackson and also Green River to Pocatello, bypassing SLC.

Reactions: Fiver and KJD
Perhaps @pox could expand his network to Afton or even Montpelier. Montpelier could facilitate Evanston-Jackson and also Green River to Pocatello, bypassing SLC.

I'm open to adding chargers any where they are needed and wanted. If you know location that are open to it, might try for Destination Chargers first if you can find places okay with footing the electrical bill. If not then my solution could be an option so there electric costs covered.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and Snerruc
I wonder if just contacting the town of Afton to see if they would think about putting chargers at their town offices right on the main drag through town. The number is (307) 885-9831.

Google Maps

Or maybe the Star Valley Chamber of Commerce just up the road: (307) 885-2759

It depends. The supercharger in Moab is at a hotel and is often blocked by gas guzzlers. Now the location at Tremonton is also at a hotel and I have never seen anyone other than Tesla's parked in the charging stalls.
I agree. On my routes I haven't seem much ICEing at hotels, save for Moab (and I'm hoping that one is fixed with the new painted parking spaces).

Could just be the luck of timing though. In addition to Tremonton, one of the more busy Supercharger Stations I have used outside of California, I haven't seen ICEing at hotel Superchargers in Flagstaff AZ, Yuma AZ (huge amount of space there, however), Gallup NM (staff is very friendly to Tesla drivers), Farmington NM (a favorite since it is right next to a supermarket), Denver CO, Price UT, Richfield UT, Boise ID, The Dalles OR (despite very limited parking). Glenwood Springs CO had a problem with ICEing early on during ski season but they seem to have several slots blocked by cones now and I think that helps. YMMV, of course.

I'd be surprised if Evanston WY had ICEing problems.

[I've done 111 Supercharges in fifteen months, all of them on road trips.]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I agree. On my routes I haven't seem much ICEing at hotels, save for Moab (and I'm hoping that one is fixed with the new painted parking spaces).

Could just be the luck of timing though. In addition to Tremonton, one of the more busy Supercharger Stations I have used outside of California, I haven't seen ICEing at hotel Superchargers in Flagstaff AZ, Yuma AZ (huge amount of space there, however), Gallup NM (staff is very friendly to Tesla drivers), Farmington NM (a favorite since it is right next to a supermarket), Denver CO, Price UT, Richfield UT, Boise ID, The Dalles OR (despite very limited parking). Glenwood Springs CO had a problem with ICEing early on during ski season but they seem to have several slots blocked by cones now and I think that helps. YMMV, of course.

I'd be surprised if Evanston WY had ICEing problems.

[I've done 111 Supercharges in fifteen months, all of them on road trips.]
Tremonton is a busy supercharger? I'm at ~40 supercharges, with more in Tremonton and Twin Falls, ID than any other. I've never seen three Teslas (including my own) at any supercharger. Oh, I guess SLC, UT. I've only supercharged there once, but there's usually three or four cars, possibly one or two are test drive vehicles for the co-located Tesla Store. But it has 10 plugs... plenty of room.

Evanston, WY

Interstates: I-80
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-189*

I-80
To: Rock Springs, WY (s.i status Permit) - 99.8 miles
Diversion: 0.5 miles
To: Cheyenne, WY - 362 miles

To: Jackson, WY (WY-89/UT-16,UT-30/WY-89,US-30,WY-89,US-89) - 190 miles
To: Billings, MT (I-80,US-189,US-30,WY-240-US-189,WY-372,WY-28,US-287,local,WY-789,US-26,US-20,WY-120,US-14ALT,WY-294/MT-72,US-310,US-212,I-90) - 463 miles
To: Glenwood Springs, CO (I-80,WY-414/UT-43,CO-44,US-191,US-40,CO-64,CO-13,I-70) - 316 miles
To: Grand Junction, CO (I-80,WY-414/UT-43,CO-44,US-191,US-40,CO-64,CO-139,I-70,US-50) - 288 miles
To: Price, UT (I-80,US-40,US-189,US-6) - 177 miles
To: Nephi, UT (I-80,US-40,US-189,I-15) - 146 miles
To: Tremonton, UT (I-80,I-84) - 112 miles

Essential for I-80, obviously. But, it will also complete the I-84/I-80 link.

* US-189 is concurrent with I-80

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
My hotel Supercharger experiences are West Coast, which probably skews my data points. The worst I recall was Springfield, Oregon where every single Supercharger was blocked one night. I didn't need it until the morning but I was restless imagining travelers arriving at 2am and needing a charge. I mentioned it to the front desk, which I suppose did absolutely nothing.

Reactions: chargeshare
Tremonton is a busy supercharger? I'm at ~40 supercharges, with more in Tremonton and Twin Falls, ID than any other. I've never seen three Teslas (including my own) at any supercharger. Oh, I guess SLC, UT. I've only supercharged there once, but there's usually three or four cars, possibly one or two are test drive vehicles for the co-located Tesla Store. But it has 10 plugs... plenty of room.
I don't mean busy as in "full" but I don't think I've ever been to Tremonton and not seen another car there and there were once three others plus mine. It gets quite a bit of use for a remote place not in a big city (or California). At a lot of the remote Supercharger Stations I don't usually see another car while I'm there (and my charging takes twice as long as bigger battery cars).

I'll be interested to know how much use I-80 gets through Wyoming once the Supercharger Stations are complete.

I don't mean busy as in "full" but I don't think I've ever been to Tremonton and not seen another car there and there were once three others plus mine. It gets quite a bit of use for a remote place not in a big city (or California). At a lot of the remote Supercharger Stations I don't usually see another car while I'm there (and my charging takes twice as long as bigger battery cars).

I'll be interested to know how much use I-80 gets through Wyoming once the Supercharger Stations are complete.
This is true. Tremonton is a tiny town, but a critical link on a fairly busy interstate. I'm probably 50% if I'm there by myself, or there is one other car.