Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Exmore, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

corywright

supercharge.info editor
Supporting Member
Jul 27, 2016
Richmond, VA
Tesla's updated Find Us map now shows a "coming soon" for Exmore, VA. A quick search for utility tickets shows one submitted by Leading Edge Services for electric car chargers at the Royal Farms at 4317 Lankford Hwy, Exmore, VA 23350.

I'm particularly excited about this one because it's a much better positioned charging stop for trips to the Eastern Shore to watch rocket launches from Wallops Island.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 8.53.04 PM.png

This is great. On one of my recent perusals of Tesla's map (before the quarterly update), VA's Eastern Shore was one of the areas that I noticed as conspicuously absent. Something along the highway near Exmore or Onancock seemed so obvious it was hard to believe that nothing had been done about it yet.

This is great. On one of my recent perusals of Tesla's map (before the quarterly update), VA's Eastern Shore was one of the areas that I noticed as conspicuously absent. Something along the highway near Exmore or Onancock seemed so obvious it was hard to believe that nothing had been done about it yet.
Yes it is great. It's a splitter on US-13 between Norfork, VA and Salisbury, MD as well as a splitter for Norfolk, VA to Ocean City, MD (US-13, US-113).

Maybe Tesla's internal map has some regions marked as "Random Gas Stations". Their deals with Royal Farms, Sheetz and Wawa seem to lead to new Superchargers popping up without warning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 101dals
Yes it is great. It's a splitter on US-13 between Norfork, VA and Salisbury, MD as well as a splitter for Norfolk, VA to Ocean City, MD (US-13, US-113).

Maybe Tesla's internal map has some regions marked as "Random Gas Stations". Their deals with Royal Farms, Sheetz and Wawa seem to lead to new Superchargers popping up without warning.
It is clear that Wawa, Sheetz, and to a lesser extent, Royal Farms have made strategic decisions to go all-in on Tesla superchargers. Target, Meijer, HyVee, Cum & Go and others across the country all have made similar decisions. Who pays for what and how things are prioritized is not public knowledge but my guess is it is both a negotiation with Tesla and strategic business decisions within each company as to which locations will get superchargers. Exmore was a clear need and a gaping hole. Others are part of a strategy of adding V3s near older V2s or otherwise sub-optimal locations) (Joplin, MO is a good example). There are probably many other factors at play that are not obvious to us outsiders.

Over the last couple of years I've submitted multiple requests to Royal Farms to add a Supercharger to their location in Onley, VA. I think they made a better choice with Exmore as there is more space at that location, and I'm really happy to see this one already underway.

Good find @corywright , thanks for posting. The permit says
SOUTH SIDE OF PROPERTY, FROM THE ISLAND THAT BORDERS MAIN
ST GOING WEST ALONG THE CURB LINE TO LANKFORD HWY, 50 FT OUT
ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CURB; THIS INCLUDES CROSSING THE GAS
TANK FILL AREA.

Google street view makes the gas storage area and power lines pretty obvious so people can look at this and see approximately where work should be. Far side of the view from here... looking from main across the storage-tank-fill area. Google Maps

Reactions: 101dals
Oh, wait thats the electrical work but pedestal position might be on that "island" along main street? I looked at the overhead view and started doubting my idea about "across the lot" since Lankford Hwy and pumps are over there.

Exmore, VA

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Royal Farms
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-13
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-13

To: Salisbury, MD - 78.2 miles
Diversion: 0 miles
To: Salisbury - Ocean Hwy, MD - 79.2 miles

Splitter!

Splits the 132.9 mile gap from Norfork, VA to Salisbury, MD.