TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger expansion caught in cost squeeze?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by azred, Aug 22, 2018.

1. azred

azred Active Member

Although Supercharge.info shows some current US construction activity, construction seems to have slowed greatly since Spring. Unfortunately for long distance travelers the sparse recent construction activity seems to be more focused on urban chargers than filling significant gaps like the entire State of North Dakota, parts of Eastern and Northeastern AZ, and a big hole on I10 in west Texas.

Obviously supercharger network growth has been impressive and one can only hope the significant gaps will become a priority soon. I thought it was odd that Tesla recently opened the door a crack for free supercharger access for Model 3’s at a time cash seems to be in short supply to build new sites. While the numbers of 3’s at this time is small, it just seems like a decision at odds with financial realities.

2. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Wouldn't be surprised to see the rollout slowed down until they achieve profitability.

Unfortunately, Tesla has been pretty consistent on how quickly they install the superchargers. We're still waiting for the last superchargers to be installed along I10 - something that had been promised several years ago. So getting to the end of the year, and still missing some of the "in 2018" superchargers wouldn't be surprising. Tesla is still far ahead of what's available for any other long range EV on the market now or coming in the next year.

As for FUSC (Free Unlimited Supercharging) for performance Model 3's, that's a short-term incentive to boost sales of the higher priced performance Model 3's by the end of this quarter.

On the average, it appears Tesla estimates the annual supercharger usage per vehicle to be around $400 (could be less for the more efficient Model 3's) - the amount they announced would be provided free per year, when they first implemented the supercharger fee program. So providing this benefit for the early performance 3 owners shouldn't be a huge expense - plus that's a deferred expense, and what's important for Tesla is generating revenue now, in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

I was told at SC the contruction is based on density of sales. Not long distance travelers.
    We are just getting a station on east side of town. I asked why so far from I95? All the sales are on east side of town.
    That flys in the face of long distance travlers.
    So good luck on figuring this out.
    I do know folks in condos and apartment complexs dont have anywhere to charge. I expect to see a lot of 3s charging.

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

According to Supercharge.info, worldwide supercharger count has increased as follows for 2018:
    January: opened 25
    February: opened 21
    March: opened 42
    April: opened 26
    May: opened 29
    June: opened 40
    July: opened 26
    August to date: 15, which extrapolates to 21 for the month.

There were two outlier months, March and June, but I wouldn't refer to this as slowing greatly since Spring. I think the variance we're seeing this year is more likely affected by construction logistics and permitting than cash.

• Like x 3
  5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Apparently we now have superchargers here in AZ in tons of locations that I had no idea existed. Shows you how much I use the superchargers! lol

• Funny x 2
  6. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

While it'll be nice to have the gaps filled in, there's quite simply the matter of which areas are most likely to see use. An urban Supercharger in downtown Atlanta is going to be much more useful to more Tesla owners than one in the middle of North Dakota — as much as I'd like the long-promised Winnipeg leg to be completed.

7. animorph

animorph Active Member

Or end of quarter?

8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Yes, I see that but I'm wondering how the end of a quarter plays any role with things like construction crews, weather, city councils granting permits, power companies turning on the power, etc, all of which seem to be significant factors in when a Supercharger comes online.

I don't have time to break down monthly deployment worldwide but I already have some data tabulated for some U.S. months and the end of quarter rise seems to hold true at a rate of about 4:1. Perhaps the construction crews get a bonus for end of quarter completions?

upload_2018-8-22_13-57-55.png

Attached Files:

9. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

I'm still waiting for the one close to me that was promised "in 2017." No sign of it yet. (Montrose, CO -- between Grand Junction and Telluride. Of course, Telluride was "in 2017" too!)

10. azred

azred Active Member

#10 azred, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    I did deliberately insert US into my original post. I thought I saw a definite slowing of US construction at a time of year one would expect heavy development. But of course it’s fine if you disagree even if you changed the subject by referring to worldwide development. China does show some impressive expansion this month.

11. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I see lots of posts here about how many SCs are being completed -- great -- but the thing I have noticed is that very few are being STARTED. One this quarter in the US, last time I looked, and it was at the very beginning of the quarter, likely just started late. I think perhaps others have started since I surveyed, but still it has dropped off.

12. Darren Donovan

But the NEED for a supercharging location in an urban area is not there, even though, like you stated, it'll be used more, because people for whatever reason don't want to charge at home. That's not what the intent is for supercharging. What is needed is more locations along frequented highways, so people can go farther while travelling. We don't want, and shouldn't encourage, local charging by building more locations in urban areas.

• Disagree x 1
  13. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

The mere existence of urban Superchargers is redefining the intent of Supercharging. Especially as EV ownership becomes more affordable, not ask owners will have a place that they can regularly park and charge "at home". I agree that more work is needed to build out the inter-city network (I dread having to drive into southern Ohio), but that doesn't mean Tesla can't or shouldn't put some focus on enabling urban ownership.

14. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Spoken like someone who has never lived in an urban area without a private garage.

• Like x 1