Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Expansion - Kamloops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ADC8DA9F-D67E-4A7D-BDD1-1745719ABB13.jpeg ADC8DA9F-D67E-4A7D-BDD1-1745719ABB13.jpeg
ADC8DA9F-D67E-4A7D-BDD1-1745719ABB13.jpeg
Looks like they are adding more super chargers in Kamloops! Currently there are only 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to take this opportunity to again suggest that each Canadian supercharger get its own thread. Certainly if supercharger expansions get their own thread, then entire superchargers should also get their own threads. Perhaps Marco should start a poll on the topic :)

It just doesn't seem that having discussion on various superchargers buried deep in the "Western Canada superchargers" thread is very helpful and with only ~100 superchargers in Canada (and many of the newer ones having their own threads), it would not take much work to start new threads for the ones that don't have them. In fact, with a lot of time on my hands during this pandemic, I'd be willing to start all the threads myself if they are so desired. And I'm sure we could get our friends at supercharge.info to link to them in kind.

FWIW, prior to the Great American Solar Eclipse in August 2017, we discovered that some of the older superchargers did not have their own threads so we created new threads for those superchargers (at least in the West, I cannot speak for the East as I don't spend much time in those sub-forums). Some of those threads have gone on to become many pages long and it now seems comical that we didn't have a threads for the Centralia, Grants Pass, Mount Shasta superchargers back then.

Hardly seems worth the effort to go from 4->6 V2 stalls. Maybe it's a space constraint, but I would have thought if it was busy enough to warrant expansion now, that they'd at least go to 8 stalls so they didn't have to expand it again in a couple years...
Agree with this. Don't think I've ever seen a 2-stall expansion, with the exception of the temporary chargers brought in on pallets. Assuming the coronavirus issues have passed by then, I would think Golden, Revelstoke, and Canmore would need to expand to 8 stalls by summer 2021 as well. Here's hoping.

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
As you can see they had no concrete or asphalt to rip up to install these additional 2 stalls, just grass and dirt removal as the existing electrical was already placed in the ground when they first put these 4 in 2014. One more charger added to the existing 2 chargers as each powers 2 pedestals.

For more to be added it would be much more expensive me thinks; don't think there is room in the charger shed for more transformers and chargers, so that area would need to be expanded and a larger concrete pad poured.

Hey a 50% increase in the number of chargers in my hometown is welcomed but I have never seen more than a 3 car lineup in Kamloops. Where they need more is Merritt. That seems to be a place many lower mainlanders travel to for whatever reason. Should have 4 or 6 more there before the end of the summer I wager.

As you can see they had no concrete or asphalt to rip up to install these additional 2 stalls, just grass and dirt removal as the existing electrical was already placed in the ground when they first put these 4 in 2014. One more charger added to the existing 2 chargers as each powers 2 pedestals.

For more to be added it would be much more expensive me thinks; don't think there is room in the charger shed for more transformers and chargers, so that area would need to be expanded and a larger concrete pad poured.

Hey a 50% increase in the number of chargers in my hometown is welcomed but I have never seen more than a 3 car lineup in Kamloops. Where they need more is Merritt. That seems to be a place many lower mainlanders travel to for whatever reason. Should have 4 or 6 more there before the end of the summer I wager.

Oh, got it - adding just 2 more stalls makes a lot more sense if those were pre-wired. Were other sites in the region (Revelstoke, Golden, Canmore) installed the same way?

Oh, got it - adding just 2 more stalls makes a lot more sense if those were pre-wired. Were other sites in the region (Revelstoke, Golden, Canmore) installed the same way?

No idea; I have no insider information on any of this but was able to talk to the Tesla electrician while he was there working on them. And no, he wouldn't tell me anything about future jobs. :(

• Informative

It's because Merritt is where the road forks off between Kelowna and Kamloops (and for travelers going to other way to Vancouver), so it's a central hub. You can't go from Hope to Kelowna/Kamloops (or the other way) on a single charge SR+, so Merritt is a must for a pit stop.

*Technically Hope to Kamloops is possible on a full charge, but nobody is going to be staying at Hope till 95/100% since it's inefficient.

It's because Merritt is where the road forks off between Kelowna and Kamloops (and for travelers going to other way to Vancouver), so it's a central hub. You can't go from Hope to Kelowna/Kamloops (or the other way) on a single charge SR+, so Merritt is a must for a pit stop.

*Technically Hope to Kamloops is possible on a full charge, but nobody is going to be staying at Hope till 95/100% since it's inefficient.
Hope to Kamloops is 199km. Hope to Kelowna is 244km. I'd definitely consider charging longer in Hope if the Nav shows Merritt is busy. Or vice versa.

Hope to Kamloops is 199km. Hope to Kelowna is 244km. I'd definitely consider charging longer in Hope if the Nav shows Merritt is busy. Or vice versa.

Hope to Kamloops is very doable, as per your 199KM. I did that drive 2 weeks ago, and going at speed limit up the Coquihala, I used 71% battery on my SR+.

But regardless, that's why Merritt is heavier traffic, simply a hub for both directions.

Boy, could they make this any more difficult to get in and out of. Coming off the highway there should be traffic lights controlling access through the 2 to 3 intersections you traverse, in busy traffic you need pedestrians crossing just to create a break in the traffic. I could easily see this getting located to a better place. The mall is a bit of a hike. I guess any supercharger is better than no supercharger.