Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
When I use supercharger for my 2022 Model Y then it charges at the cost of 11-12 miles per $1 so basically $1 for 1 miles it's $0.10 which is expensive compared to my Gas car with a gas mileage of 35 per gallon.
1. All are getting charged with these expensive rates?
2. Can you all share how much you get charged for supercharging?
3. Supercharging rate is same for all Model Y owners?

Supercharging rates vary across the country and even within cities and locations/times.

The near SC near me charges 14 cents per kWh during off-peak hours (approximately 4 cents a mile if we use 3.5 miles per kWh) and 34 cents per kWh between 11am-6pm (9 cents a mile).

Home charging should be much cheaper than public DC charging (SC or Electrify America). EA charges 43 cents per kWh here (34 cents if you are a member).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Supercharger rates are expensive. The original poster states 11 or 12 mile to a dollar which is 8.3 to 9.0 cents per mile. But "expensive compared to" a ICE at 35 mi/gal?? Let's do the math... gas is assumed to be $3.00 per gallon... $3.00/gal * 1gal/35mi = $0.086/mile. So a gas car is 8.6 cents per mile, and supercharging is 8.3 to 9.0 cents per mile. I call that 'the same'. Charge at home and it costs about 5 cents or less per mile to charge.

I just received my Model Y. But, several friends who've had Tesla for years all told me to just top off at home and use super chargers when required. Basically, super chargers are for urgent need. Anyone who charges at home will never need a super charger unless it's on a road trip (which for me is very rare).

I just received my Model Y. But, several friends who've had Tesla for years all told me to just top off at home and use super chargers when required. Basically, super chargers are for urgent need. Anyone who charges at home will never need a super charger unless it's on a road trip (which for me is very rare).
Correct. For most, Superchargers are just for road trips. We use them 1/2 dozen to a dozen times per year. Super cheap charging at home. And much more convenient.

Reactions: GtiMart
If I plan a trip, I will charge to 95% and then start my trip. Most of my trips will get me back home. But on those trips that I know I'm going to cut it close, I'll super charge just enough to leave about a 10% buffer. IE: I know that my return trip will take about 55% to get home, so I'll charge up to 60~65% and then head home. Most of the SC's in my area are 29 cents per KWH - which in my opinion is a little expensive. To fill up at my nearest SC it costs about $20 -- whereas at home the same fill up is about $8 -- big savings!

Reactions: SPACE_EX
If I plan a trip, I will charge to 95% and then start my trip

There is really no harm in going to 100% as long as you do not make it a habit. Even when I am not traveling I charge my car to 100% at least quarterly (then drive it the next day) to help the Battery Management System do its job better. One-year in and still see 100% charges.

There is really no harm in going to 100% as long as you do not make it a habit. Even when I am not traveling I charge my car to 100% at least quarterly (then drive it the next day) to help the Battery Management System do its job better. One-year in and still see 100% charges.
I live in hilly country. If I charge to 100% it takes the a while for the re-gen to kick in. I hate using the brake peddle.

Reactions: ATPMSD