Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried the search function to no avail. Does anyone recall seeing recent discussion threads regarding owner experiences at superchargers? I am interested in how much additional time I need to factor in planning road trips. Also, what kinds of problems are people experiencing at superchargers?

There are some factors that greatly increase charge times:

- sharing a stall drops speed in half
- full stalls/out of service stalls could mean long waits
- your car doesn’t feel like charging fast

Basically not the best car choice if you’re an astronaut trying to cross the country as fast as possible while wearing adult diapers.

Last edited:
I've tried the search function to no avail. Does anyone recall seeing recent discussion threads regarding owner experiences at superchargers? I am interested in how much additional time I need to factor in planning road trips. Also, what kinds of problems are people experiencing at superchargers?

You can try either the supercharger section of TMC, but that tends to talk about upcoming ones etc:

Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure

Or, you can try your regional section, which you can discuss things relevant to people in your area if you are asking about specific superchargers:

Florida

Or, as mentioned, if you are looking at how long it will take to get some place, you can either use the route planner built into the car, or most people recommend a better route planner, as if you put in the data, it can be very accurate, even accounting for weather and such:

A Better Routeplanner

For recent experiences, get the Plugshare app and read the comments. Somebody usually comments on where the restrooms are and what the food options are, as well as which chargers are working well.

You can calculate the theoretical charge times by looking at the charge curves (Google it). I spent hours planning our first 1000 mile road trip and made an elaborate spreadsheet. But in the end, we used the Tesla nav and charged enough to get to the next supercharger(about 2 hour drive away). By the time we plugged in, walked to the restroom and returned, we were ready to leave. Each charge session took 15-20 minutes. I threw my spreadsheet away.

The most efficient way to travel, time wise, is to drive as fast as you dare to the next supercharger, arriving with as low a battery % as you dare. Your battery will charge the fastest when it's low in charge.

As someone else noted, chargers are numbered 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. Both #1 stalls use the same transformer, the #2's use their transformer, etc. This means power is shared between the same number and will be cut in half if the A and B of the same number stalls are occupied, so try to spread out.

Our experience on road trips has been generally empty Superchargers unless you are in a major metro area. Southern California can be a little crowded. I don't think we ever had to wait to Supercharge while travelling, though we rarely have had to share a paired charger. We travel mostly during the day (8 AM to 8 PM or so), generally on weekdays and non-holidays. Our trip times are usually close to ABRP estimates.

It can be a good idea to check PlugShare or TMC to check for Superchargers that might be hard to find or within paid parking lots. I always look at them on Google Maps to see what's available around them. Knowing that you're looking for a Sheetz gas station or Holiday Inn Express makes them much easier to find.

Reactions: theothertom
I've tried the search function to no avail. Does anyone recall seeing recent discussion threads
regarding owner experiences at superchargers?
I am interested in how much additional time I need to factor in planning road trips.
Also, what kinds of problems are people experiencing at superchargers?
I assume the #1 one issue has to deal with #1, or #2... (Well people need to pee).

Seriously, the single largest inconvenience is not charge times, range or any of the other FUD.
It is the severe lack of toilet options at most of the Superchargers.

But it depends, some Superchargers (like the one at White Hills, AZ) even have a walking dogs area... See video at 0:40

supercharger-walking-dog-area-jpg.548314

Last edited:
I’ve taken 4 multi-day multi-state road trips in my Model 3 and have only used the in-car route planner and, as mentioned previously, PlugShare to see other people’s comments/tips on a particular SC location. The biggest challenge is knowing what I’m going to find when I get there...e.g. how close services are, if any. Also, a simple Google search of the targeted SC will provide more user comments and a better map visual of what’s around the SC. Sometimes you’ll find that driving to a fast food place (or whatever) to get your food to go (and do your business) on the way to the SC is a better alternative and then eat in the car while charging.

I think I’ve logged about 100 visits to super chargers across different countries

About 2 instances where I had to wait for a stall

about 3 or 4 stalls that turned out to be dead or inexplicably slow

In the context of a long distance trip, it’s never been an issue. it’s mostly coincidental with natural breaks.

In the context of a quick mid distance trip, it’s sometimes a bit of an annoyance to have to stop 15, 30 minutes when you just want to hit point to point.

I wouldn't worry to much about all the stuff mention I used the Tesla app and it worked out great for me and my 3000 mile trip. Every supercharge took about 20 to 30 mins never any problems waiting or even sharing chargers with other that has been worked and are bunch or rumors. Just allow 30 mins each charge and you will be good some time the chargers are faster and your ready to move on to the next charge. Watch your speed drive easy and safe this helps maximize your milage Good luck

I assume the #1 one issue has to deal with #1, or #2... (Well people need to pee).

Seriously, the single largest inconvenience is not charge times, range or any of the other FUD.
It is the severe lack of toilet options at most of the Superchargers.

But it depends, some Superchargers (like the one at White Hills, AZ) even have a walking dogs area...

In our road trip above, we didn’t encounter any supercharger site (as in, not one) without a bathroom available. Not one.
Sure, some are either in a convenience store or a restaurant but it was always available.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
My strategy on the long road trip was - charge enuf to get to the next charger plus a buffer. NEVER fully charge (unless no options ahead close enough) - it just takes soooooooo long!!

Like dmurphy said 2 posts up - 20 minutes. Pretty much true. I kept records (just curiosity) and time it took filling in the numbers - oops, done - unplug, leave.

Hint: if planning snack or fast food meal, pick it up b4 getting to the charger. Cuz if not, you will be done charging b4 you can eat. CLEAN the glass at each stop!!!

Just not a big issue.

Sometimes Supercharger locations are pretty close together -- maybe an hour away. If the Tesla nav wants to bring you to a busy one with few available stalls, click around your route and try to stop earlier or stretch it later to find a less crowded SC.

E.g. driving between Toronto and Montreal, the Tesla nav always wants to bring you to Kingston which only has 8 stalls and is almost always full. However the Belleville SC is only an hour away with 20 stalls, so it might be more pleasant to stop there if you can.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia