Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I use. Phila suburbs to Pittsburgh, ICE
View attachment 619626
EV
View attachment 619630

An older 2018-2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD goes from Willow Grove PA to Pittsburgh, starting at 90%, with a single 18 minute charge in Breezewood that is a 20 second detour off the main route.

Screen-Shot-2020-12-21-at-10-27-21-AM.png

Your Jedi tricks dont work here

I put a smallest battery Model 3 Standard Range ("off the shelf" model that might not even be available anymore), 10 MPH constant headwind, freezing temperature, active snow and rain during the trip, 200# of extra cargo in the car, and the car will still do it with 3 stops totaling 53 minutes of charge.

Little children are better at making up stories than this...

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It’s unquestionably faster to use an ICE, but it’s getting better. It’s about 45 extra minutes to take my car on my several-times-a-year trip between NorCal and SoCal, but with autopilot, the drive itself sucks less so it’s ok.
It's a ymmv.

Just yesterday I planned out a 400 mile day trip: first to a state park, followed by a drive over to a town we like visiting for food and a little tourism, followed by the drive home that includes a 10 minute bladder stop. Since the car charges while we eat, stroll and use restrooms the time spent waiting for the car to charge is zero.

So if there is anything to complain about, I agree that my Tesla is less flexible in choosing where to stop compared to our 500 mile range Prius and it can require a bit more pre-planning. Not a big deal by any means, but in a discussion this morning between my wife and myself about buying a Model Y, I suggested that since nothing is forcing us to buy today, we should try and wait for a 400 mile range EV for that extra sliver of convenience, and easy travel plans at 80 mph rather than 70.

Unless you plan to drive like a lunatic and not stop for any reason other than gas, ICE and EV trips are going to be fairly similar. At a leisurely pace, the two vehicles are almost interchangeable, IMHO.

From Austin to Richmond, we did maybe 2 total 3 hour legs. Other than that, we stopped every 2 hours.

People who are new to road-tripping in a Tesla might want to peruse this "oldie but goodie" thread:

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Note that it was written in 2013, when the Model S was the only Tesla capable of Supercharging, and the Supercharger network wasn't anywhere near as built-out as it is today. Still, a lot of the principles have stood the test of time and IMHO it's worth reading.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Go back to school, I did this trip on SR+. Your theoretical Tesla fanboy lies not gonna work on me.
It always helps to put as much detail as possible in your original post, otherwise, people have to make lots of assumptions, or ask more questions. Can't blame people for trying to understand your problem and help you, by using the most common variant of Model 3, when you didn't tell anyone what model you were talking about.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
See my following message for details. You lose time on driving EV routes, I included all time associated with riding EV to/from SC into "charging".
Okay, given that we now know you're driving a SR+, I thought I'd just try some inputs in ABRP to see where things might be going wrong.
You posted:
by default 2020-12-21 at 12.49.10 PM.jpg

Looks terrible, but so far out of the realm of other people's experiences that people are generally skeptical. Of course, I drive a LR-AWD, and a 331 mile trip, would only require one short stop.

However, I can't assume you'll drive like me, so let's look at what might give such an awful result, like above. You did mention driving an ICE at 80mph to 90mph, so I'll keep that in mind.

Here's the closest I could get on ABRP:
by default 2020-12-21 at 12.43.43 PM.jpg

Nowhere near what you showed us. What were your assumptions? I tried ZERO F, and 30% above speed limits. That'll take you 85 to 90mph, if your speed limits are 65 to 70mph. I don't quite understand why your drive time is so much slower, 1h20m. Are you inputting 50mph? All the stops should be right off the highway.

Can you show us your ABRP inputs, because your result is strange, even at the extremes like ZERO F and driving 85 to 90mph.

...Can you show us your ABRP inputs, because your result is strange, even at the extremes like ZERO F and driving 85 to 90mph.

He can't, because he's trolling....or he has no idea how to actually travel in an EV.

Reminds me of a Car & Driver story that said driving from Ann Arbor to St. Louis required 3+ hours of charging. It would, IF you charged to 100% at every stop (which is apparently what they did. Doh!!!) That trip actually requires about an hour of charging time, done correctly...

Nowhere near what you showed us. What were your assumptions? I tried ZERO F, and 30% above speed limits. That'll take you 85 to 90mph, if your speed limits are 65 to 70mph. I don't quite understand why your drive time is so much slower, 1h20m. Are you inputting 50mph? All the stops should be right off the highway.

Can you show us your ABRP inputs, because your result is strange, even at the extremes like ZERO F and driving 85 to 90mph.

So here's mine, from a little bit further northeast of Philly - I'm in northwest NJ.

5 hours, 21 mins of driving, 48 minutes of charging.

Which works out to.... about 20 minutes of charging for every 2 1/2 hours of driving. Amazing -- pretty much exactly what I said above. And that's in the less-efficient Model X, nonetheless.

I also ran it with my Model 3 parameters - 47 minutes of charging. Pretty much exactly the same.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 1.07.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 1.12.05 PM.png

From my experience for every 5 hours of driving add 2 additional hours for charging.

My original post was never about me or something specific.

Oh, so the part where you LITERALLY WROTE in your first response "from my experience" wasn't about you???

Ohhhhkaaaay.... Whatever. Talk about being dishonest....

I just hate people that willing to sell their honesty for profit, like 98% Tesla reviewers on YouTube or half of the people here on this forum.

I posted my numbers, stand behind them and don't appreciate your thinly veiled (or not so veiled) assault on my character. I'm as honest as can be here - I showed you my numbers from my road trip. I showed you my numbers from ABRP. And I know my own experiences. All of which line up true as day.

The fact that you cannot - or will not - accept them is your problem, but not a reflection on me or my character. And the fact that - when called on it - you just continue to deflect and accuse me of being a liar or a stock shill really ticks me off.

For example:

20 minute will add about 100-120 miles. Which teanslates to 60-70 real world miles. They probably keep tesla stocks this is why 40 minutes became 20 for them. :)

20 minutes for ~150 miles is exactly what I said I experienced on my road trip, and exactly what ABRP shows. I'll stand behind those numbers all day long.

Reactions: KenC and holmgang
This has become quite the thread. In my week of ownership and the few times I've supercharged the one thing I've learned is the "time remaining" for the charge displayed on the screen is almost never accurate. For example, this morning what was supposed to be a 10 minute charge turned into something close to 20. The other night when told a charge would be 35 minutes, an hour plus later I was still sitting there looking at "15 minutes remaining." Granted, it's been below freezing most of the last week so maybe that causes this? I'm hoping to make my first long trip that will necessitate using ABRP this week, we'll see if it keeps doing this.

As for other Supercharging thoughts I've only seen one with a trashcan (although I've not really looked too hard) and I think every location should have WiFi that automatically connects like it does to a service center's wifi (did I read correctly online that your Tesla will connect automatically or am I dreaming that?) The few that I've been to have been right off the highway in great locations. I don't see how any would add more than 5 minutes to your drive time, 10 at the absolute MOST. Looking forward to a real road trip in my SR+ to really try out the network!

I posted my numbers, stand behind them and don't appreciate your thinly veiled (or not so veiled) assault on my character. I'm as honest as can be here - I showed you my numbers from my road trip. I showed you my numbers from ABRP. And I know my own experiences. All of which line up true as day.

The fact that you cannot - or will not - accept them is your problem, but not a reflection on me or my character. And the fact that - when called on it - you just continue to deflect and accuse me of being a liar or a stock shill really ticks me off.

For example:

20 minutes for ~150 miles is exactly what I said I experienced on my road trip, and exactly what ABRP shows. I'll stand behind those numbers all day long.

(following post is made as myself and does not represent TMC, nor my role as a moderator. This is my own personal opinion and does not impact my role as a moderator)
========================================================

What @Nickage87 has proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt is that at the very least, they have no idea how to road trip in their car. I am not going to say they didnt have those experiences (although, with all of the people here who have examined the exact route they were posting about, it looks like it would be difficult as heck to duplicate their experience).

What I will state without a doubt though, is that there are obviously much better ways to do it than they apparently did it. They also fall into the category of "name calling" the minute they get called on their data. Calling someone a "fanboi" is like saying 'i know you are, but what am I" on an elementary playground, when one doesnt have any other information to back up their claims.

As I said when I was made a moderator, I firmly believeTMC is for all people, those that love tesla, those that hate them, and those who are somewhere in the middle (which is most of us). What I find irksome, however, is people who try to use data to try to tell some story that isnt quite the real thing.

Saying "it takes somewhat longer to road trip in my tesla" = True story for most. Many would trade because they feel better when they get there. Some wont. Thats a fair discussion. See post from @run-the-joules for someone making a fair statement for discussion. Saying. "it takes 2 hours to charge for every 5 hours driven, there isnt any real way that I or anyone else can see to make that happen, unless someone is trying to do that. Statements like "but you have to drive to the superchargers" are somewhat silly, because last I checked, you have to drive to the gas station too.

On a side note, people in general should know that TMC is one of the WORST places to try to post up some data that isnt "quite all there" because of the nature of the membership. People WILL pick it apart, and WILL find any holes if there are any. Not a great thing to try here in my opinion.

...In my week of ownership and the few times I've supercharged the one thing I've learned is the "time remaining" for the charge displayed on the screen is almost never accurate. For example, this morning what was supposed to be a 10 minute charge turned into something close to 20. The other night when told a charge would be 35 minutes, an hour plus later I was still sitting there looking at "15 minutes remaining."

I haven't experienced this. Are you "Navigating to the Supercharger" using the car's NAV, so that it pre-conditions the battery prior to charging? If not, something like what you described could happen.

Could also be that the charge rate changed while charging, potentially due to another car connecting to the same Supercharger's circuit...