Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Falls Creek, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hear! Hear!

This is a massive missed opportunity for Tesla. ALL roadside rest stops should have superchargers, or at least all superchargers on freeways should be at rest stops. People are stopping there anyway, there is usually ample parking, in Ontario (and some other places), there are often gas stations and food vendors, tourism info, etc.

How could governments say no if Tesla came calling and said let us put a supercharger at your location?

I suppose it's possible that some governments would get push back because that favours one brand of electric car, but that's a trivial fix: just put in a few chademo / CCS chargers too.

Hell, I bet Tesla would even foot the bill for the equipment, given their corporate mission.

If you look around there are a fair number of superchargers that are at rest stops. I have noticed though, that the ones in NJ that are at rest stops on the turnpike are far less popular than the one thats a few miles off the turnpike, but at a nice shopping center where there is alot to eat and do while your car is charging.

If you look around there are a fair number of superchargers that are at rest stops. I have noticed though, that the ones in NJ that are at rest stops on the turnpike are far less popular than the one thats a few miles off the turnpike, but at a nice shopping center where there is alot to eat and do while your car is charging.
And, to 5YJSA's point, Tesla was required to add the circuits for the added, non-Tesla charging equipment on the NJTP before they could get permission to build. (and yes - Hamilton's much nicer than the Turnpike stops)

The Supercharger at the Newark, DE service center is perfect, but the Superchargers at the service centers in CT are horrible--there just isn't enough parking, so they're always iced, and there aren't enough spots to begin with. The big problem with Superchargers at highway rest stop (or "service centers" if they have gas stations and restaurants), is that parking is often at a premium. Tesla wants to have between 8 and 20 parking spots reserved just for charging, and they can't usually get that in those locations.

Another problem with Superchargers at rest areas is that they're horribly inconvenient for anyone local. Maybe that's a plus, but for people who rent and can't charge at home, having a convenient local Supercharger makes owning a Tesla work. Along those lines, if you are going to need to charge for a while, it's often nice to have a wider selection of businesses and other attractions. A Supercharger at an off-highway shopping center is perfect.

But when all is said and done, what really matters is having a Supercharger. I find the worst locations to be hotels, but they have the parking, and I would rather park and walk somewhere than not have a charger at all.

• Informative
Reactions: 5YJSA
I suppose it's possible that some governments would get push back because that favours one brand of electric car, but that's a trivial fix: just put in a few chademo / CCS chargers too.

Hell, I bet Tesla would even foot the bill for the equipment, given their corporate mission.

If others are depending on CCS and CHAdeMO, then those brands should pay to put in their competing devices just like Tesla paid. Nevertheless, it's been said that Tesla -- rather altruistically -- has paid to install competing chargers at destination charging locations.

If others are depending on CCS and CHAdeMO, then those brands should pay to put in their competing devices just like Tesla paid. Nevertheless, it's been said that Tesla -- rather altruistically -- has paid to install competing chargers at destination charging locations.

Tesla does routinely pay to have J1772 EVSEs installed along with HPWCs at destination charging points.

Keep in mind, though, that Tesla cars can charge from those, and in some cases faster than from the HPWCs (one hotel I was at last week had two HPWCs on 32A settings - and a 48A Clipper Creek. The Clipper Creek faulted when I plugged in to it and I couldn't find an easy reset.)

I suppose many Tesla owners can charge from CHAdeMO, too, if they bought the adapter, but I still feel like it's a different situation.

Reactions: vdiv
One of the Rutter's gas stations near me installed a charger, and not only is it confounding to look at, I can't imagine actually using the thing. There were at least 2 connectors on each plug? And combined had to be pushing 20, maybe 30 lbs? Ok, not that much, but when you're using a Super Charger, the plug is normal and not too heavy. It shouldn't feel like a workout plugging something in. That's one of the many things Tesla did ohh so right, that you don't realize, having never owned a non-Tesla EV... it's ONE plug for all the things, and it just works. Not to mention playing 20 questions with some tiny ass display and who knows what charging network. No thanks. I'll just look for a Super Charger.

Reactions: 5YJSA and JHWJR
First, most folks, while filling, are stuck with their car, even if it is raining and even if it is 3 degrees. We plug and go inside. Once they are done filling, they get to come inside for the first time.

Second, I will start saying to folks: "Ever get to a gas station that is closed late at night? Superchargers never close." I DO, however, wish they were at established rest stops ON the highway, especially at limited access turnpikes that you have to pay to get on and off of.

Excellent point about not being able to go inside. Also, my wife and kids usually wait for me to finish filling the ICE car up before being able to walk to places late at night, especially in rural areas. My wife is just afraid to go without me. With the Tesla, we can all leave together right away.

I often drive to Toronto via PA Rt 15, I-86, I-390, NY Rt 20/20A. There are very few 24 hour gas stations on that route. I will be able to drive the same route in the Tesla once the Corning Supercharger comes online. I hate the I-90.

Reactions: 5YJSA
But when all is said and done, what really matters is having a Supercharger. I find the worst locations to be hotels, but they have the parking, and I would rather park and walk somewhere than not have a charger at all.

I love having a supercharger at a Hotel, I stayed at the Cranbury PA hotel that has a supercharger in the lot, and it was great. No worry about the one or two destination chargers being full. Plus a hotel usually has a bathroom available 24 hours.

Since Sheetz has multiple superchargers under construction, I checked Coming Soon locations on Tesla's Find Us page against Sheetz locations and made a call to the Sheetz in Falls Creek, PA. The person who answered the phone confirmed that a supercharger was under construction there and it is expected to be completed in about a week.

Sheetz
1867 Rich Highway
Falls Creek, PA 15840
Called Sheetz today July 16. ALL construction finished and equipment gone. No Teslas parked at chargers. Called Tesla Roadside Assistance. They are no assistance. Trying to drive from Chicago to NYC on the 22nd and it would seem shorter to drive on 80 through PA but no infrastructure unless this comes on line.

Since Sheetz has multiple superchargers under construction, I checked Coming Soon locations on Tesla's Find Us page against Sheetz locations and made a call to the Sheetz in Falls Creek, PA. The person who answered the phone confirmed that a supercharger was under construction there and it is expected to be completed in about a week.

Sheetz
1867 Rich Highway
Falls Creek, PA 15840

Called Sheetz today July 16. ALL construction finished and equipment gone. No Teslas parked at chargers. Called Tesla Roadside Assistance. They are no assistance. Trying to drive from Chicago to NYC on the 22nd and it would seem shorter to drive on 80 through PA but no infrastructure unless this comes on line.

IMG_0378.JPG
I don't see the transformer in any pictures. The view of the pad it should sit on is blocked. Is it on site yet? If not we may have a several week wait until this site goes live.

This one?

About 10 days ago, on July 7 I think.
I have spoken to people in the turn on phase. Construction all done and inspected. Left is to power up and see it work. The hardware is all in place but for something to do with handicap. I think it's a sign and paint. Don't know for sure. But was told that it will not be open for anyone until at least week after this. But told ' 'we want it done'. "Before end of this month".

Reactions: JHWJR
I happened to be visiting Treasure Lake today for work, so I stopped by to check on the status. When I arrived Penelec was just wrapping up and I believe had already energized the transformer. They mentioned that there was a representative there from Tesla who would be responsible for energizing the chargers. Hopefully the chargers will be operational soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20170718_123254925.jpg
    IMG_20170718_123254925.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 84
As of Sun, July 23 the DuBois location is not yet active. It still has the screws missing from the backs of the charger stands (most likely pending final inspection, checks, and approvals) and the contact phone number has not been added beneath the supercharger plug; however, sod has been added to the bare spots from one of the previous photos (in front of the Transformer and some of the charger stands). I also took some photos of the electric meter and it seems to be functional so we just sit back and
DuBois supercharger_01.jpg
DuBois supercharger_02.jpg
DuBois supercharger_03.jpg
DuBois supercharger_04.jpg
wait for the chargers to be powered on.