Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fargo, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called in. Here are the facts and only the facts (ma'am):
They are still in talks with Tesla over all the details/paperwork. :(

Good news is they are in the talks.

I told them I need it up so I can travel there. She said she would relay that information. Win.

Awesome! I'm hopeful all of these I-94 Superchargers get installed before I take delivery of my Model 3, I can't wait to drive a Tesla on my bi-monthly road-trip to visit family. Your breadth of contacts and information amazes me, I can't imagine your patience in finally seeing these installed after all these years.

Do you think it would be beneficial if more people called and inquired?
My opinion on this is it never hurts. Just don't say you know anything already, simply inquire about it the first time (since the dot showed up on the map/there is some type of permit or surveying being done so that's public knowledge). It will show people want it to happen! Businesses like people showing up :)

My opinion on this is it never hurts. Just don't say you know anything already, simply inquire about it the first time (since the dot showed up on the map/there is some type of permit or surveying being done so that's public knowledge). It will show people want it to happen! Businesses like people showing up :)
I reached out and received feedback. They are still in talks and told me to check in again in a few weeks. Hopefully they'll have something agreed to before the end of June. Then the question is, when does construction start and when is the Fargo SC up and running?

• Informative
Reactions: lightfoot3b
I reached out and received feedback. They are still in talks and told me to check in again in a few weeks. Hopefully they'll have something agreed to before the end of June. Then the question is, when does construction start and when is the Fargo SC up and running?
If it's based on Alexandria never (ok, not soon! Good to know they are close at Fargo, Dickinson is shovel ready, Bismarck/Jamestown are a mystery). Now to really figure this Alexandria mystery out.

If it's based on Alexandria never (ok, not soon! Good to know they are close at Fargo, Dickinson is shovel ready, Bismarck/Jamestown are a mystery). Now to really figure this Alexandria mystery out.
Don't forget that Fargo is on the I-29 corridor as well. I would suggest that pursuing Superchargers North from Sioux Falls SD will be serendipitous for I-94 as well. We might see a Fargo SC before Alexandria. If it happens this way, then adding Alexandria would be patching a hole rather than extending a string.

I'd suggest that we should be pursuing Watertown SD and Pembina ND as part of the Fargo solution.

All roads do not lead through Alexandria.

• Love
Don't forget that Fargo is on the I-29 corridor as well. I would suggest that pursuing Superchargers North from Sioux Falls SD will be serendipitous for I-94 as well. We might see a Fargo SC before Alexandria. If it happens this way, then adding Alexandria would be patching a hole rather than extending a string.

I'd suggest that we should be pursuing Watertown SD and Pembina ND as part of the Fargo solution.

But ...
Fargo, ND: 120,762 (2016)
Sioux Falls, SD: 183,200 (est. 2018)
Winnipeg, MB: 705,244 (2016)

Tesla obviously has a very significant incentive to connect Winnipeg, MB through Minneapolis, MN to Ontario.

Tesla does not have Watertown, SD or something between there and Fargo, ND on their current map. (Fargo, ND to Watertown, SD is 141 miles).
Tesla does have the Win-Min connection: Pembina, ND; Grand Forks, ND; Fargo, ND; Alexandria, MN
Tesla does have I-94 on their current map.

For either route indicated on their map, they'll want Fargo, ND and Alexandria, MN.

While I agree with your idea the facts do not like our thoughts, the I-29 corridor does not look to be a thing other than north of Fargo to go to Canada. There is no link south of Fargo into SD (120miles or less is pretty much required to be considered in Tesla's route planning)
See the above post from ItsNotAboutTheMoney for great info.

But ...
Fargo, ND: 120,762 (2016)
Sioux Falls, SD: 183,200 (est. 2018)
Winnipeg, MB: 705,244 (2016)
Not that it really matters but...
Fargo metro: 238,124
Sioux Falls metro: 251,854
Winnipeg metro: 778,489

I agree that Tesla doesn't seam to care at the moment to connect Fargo to Sioux Falls. They both aren't big enough to matter on their own, just routes passing through. I wonder how many Teslas have been sold to people in Winnipeg/Manitoba.

• Helpful
While I agree with your idea the facts do not like our thoughts, the I-29 corridor does not look to be a thing other than north of Fargo to go to Canada. There is no link south of Fargo into SD (120miles or less is pretty much required to be considered in Tesla's route planning)
See the above post from ItsNotAboutTheMoney for great info.

Sorry to bump up old topic, but honestly wish they'd put the next to the Caribou Coffee gas station in Summit, SD. Not much in that town, but it's a common stopping point off the interstate for people driving to Aberdeen or Watertown/Brookings/Sioux Falls if they can't "hold it" until Watertown. This would easily get you to not only Sioux Falls, but also to middle of no where northern South Dakota. If placed in the midpoint here, you could easily make it to both cities.

Not that it really matters but...
Fargo metro: 238,124
Sioux Falls metro: 251,854
Winnipeg metro: 778,489

I agree that Tesla doesn't seam to care at the moment to connect Fargo to Sioux Falls. They both aren't big enough to matter on their own, just routes passing through. I wonder how many Teslas have been sold to people in Winnipeg/Manitoba.

No clue how many were sold in Winnipeg but I've been waiting for the few missing superchargers to be able to visit friends and family back home in Winnipeg. Get my X March 2017 since then we did Montreal > Orlando last summer and had planned Montreal > Winnipeg this summer (2018). Without superchargers we had to change vacation plans. So this year we are doing Montreal > Outer Banks (NC). Superchargers are truly amazing but driving 1300 miles on supercharger network then driving the last 400'ish miles with 11kw max charge rate, if I can even find a charge that fast, it is out of the question (don't have CHAdeMO adapter).

So all that to say, keep the updates coming (Alexandria, Fargo & Pembina). I can't wait to see progress pictures.

No clue how many were sold in Winnipeg but I've been waiting for the few missing superchargers to be able to visit friends and family back home in Winnipeg. Get my X March 2017 since then we did Montreal > Orlando last summer and had planned Montreal > Winnipeg this summer (2018). Without superchargers we had to change vacation plans. So this year we are doing Montreal > Outer Banks (NC). Superchargers are truly amazing but driving 1300 miles on supercharger network then driving the last 400'ish miles with 11kw max charge rate, if I can even find a charge that fast, it is out of the question (don't have CHAdeMO adapter).

So all that to say, keep the updates coming (Alexandria, Fargo & Pembina). I can't wait to see progress pictures.
a chademo adapter can be had pretty quickly :D i got one and use it at our malls all the time as it's free fast charging within about 3-5 miles of home.

It looks like Tesla has suspended its Supercharger construction at least for this year. I'm guessing their cash problems are really pretty serious, and they really need to stay focused on things that will increase revenue for the remainder of the year. That said, there are a few people besides Tesla stepping up. Electric utilities are glad to sell the electricity, so there are some 50 kW type DC fast chargers going in. In the past year, within a 200 mile radius of my home, they've popped up in Thunder Bay, Fort Frances, and Kenora, OT and in Bemidji, MN. Now, we have this news from Moorhead, MN:

Moorhead to get high-powered electric car charging station

Still not a Supercharger, but it is a high speed DC fast charger-- I'm thrilled to see that.