Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Farmington, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope to stop by sometime later this week.

Farmington scans a summary of their building permits each month, Farmington, NM - Building Inspection. Here is the entry for Tesla that showed up a few days ago.

Farmington Building Permit.png

I got down to Farmington today. The good news is that Francisco of Diamond Finish Construction from Taos and his crew are making good progress; the bad news is that with the cold weather last week, they just got started on Monday. Today was day 4 on site. The big unknown is the utility connection. Farmington has a city owned electric utility. Francisco had no idea when they would be showing up to install the 3-phase transformer. The rest of the job should be 3 weeks or so, but the holidays are in the middle of that... :eek:

Mine was the first Tesla that any of them had seen, and they were very excited to see one in person. I parked the MS in front of the site so that they could all take pictures. Francisco specializes in green construction in Taos and is very happy to be working on this for Tesla. He has some commercial property in Taos and we started to talk about putting in a 70-Amp J1772 in Taos at one of his sites.

I picked up a DJI Phantom that can carry a GoPro. Perhaps, the video below takes Supercharger status updates to new heights. :biggrin: See what you think. First I put the Stones, "Paint it Black" in as the audio, and then had second thoughts about using copyrighted music. The Stones version was pretty cool, but the version below uses some public domain Beethoven, "String Quartet No. 6 in B Flat Major, Op. 18, No. 6" This version seems pretty appropriate as well. If you look closely around 0:45, you can seen the shadow of the quad copter on the electrical cabinets and Tesla Crates.

Enjoy!

FMN-GOPR0211.jpg

FMN-GOPR0215.jpeg

FMN-GOPR0241.jpeg

FMN-GOPR0243.jpeg

Attachments

• FMN-GOPR0228.jpeg
    FMN-GOPR0228.jpeg
    893.8 KB · Views: 729
  • FMN-GOPR0231.jpeg
    FMN-GOPR0231.jpeg
    858.9 KB · Views: 743
Last edited by a moderator:
Farmington scans a summary of their building permits each month, Farmington, NM - Building Inspection. Here is the entry for Tesla that showed up a few days ago.

View attachment 37881

I got down to Farmington today. The good news is that Francisco of Diamond Finish Construction from Taos and his crew are making good progress; the bad news is that with the cold weather last week, they just got started on Monday. Today was day 4 on site. The big unknown is the utility connection. Farmington has a city owned electric utility. Francisco had no idea when they would be showing up to install the 3-phase transformer. The rest of the job should be 3 weeks or so, but the holidays are in the middle of that... :eek:

Mine was the first Tesla that any of them had seen, and they were very excited to see one in person. I parked the MS in front of the site so that they could all take pictures. Francisco specializes in green construction in Taos and is very happy to be working on this for Tesla. He has some commercial property in Taos and we started to talk about putting in a 70-Amp J1772 in Taos at one of his sites.

I picked up a DJI Phantom that can carry a GoPro. Perhaps, the video below takes Supercharger status updates to new heights. :biggrin: See what you think. First I put the Stones, "Paint it Black" in as the audio, and then had second thoughts about using copyrighted music. The Stones version was pretty cool, but the version below uses some public domain Beethoven, "String Quartet No. 6 in B Flat Major, Op. 18, No. 6" This version seems pretty appropriate as well. If you look closely around 0:45, you can seen the shadow of the quad copter on the electrical cabinets and Tesla Crates.

Enjoy!

View attachment 37882

View attachment 37883

View attachment 37886

View attachment 37887

Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cottonwood,

Thanks for the vid and pics - This is fantastic news! - This along with Gallup SC will enable us in NM to travel to CO sooner than I had hoped.
Awesome indeed!
85 | Black | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech + Folding Mirrors | Air | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Production 11/22, Delivered 11/29 || Xpel Ultimate | 30/30/15% Precision 30 Tint

Updated pictures from the site from Friday and today. They poured the concrete for the Supercharger cabinets Friday and got the enclosure finished today. Notice the amount of rebar and the thickness of the concrete! If you look at the next to last picture from today, you can see the insulating blankets on the curing concrete in the Supercharger enclosure, and on the transformer pad behind the Supercharger enclosure.

The crew worked today and hopes to be setting equipment and pulling the interconnect wiring on Tuesday. Depending on when the municipal electric utility can set and connect the transformer, Farmington should be on-line in a week or so! :biggrin:

Farmington-NCM_1131.JPG

Farmington-NCM_1143.JPG

Farmington-NCM_1145.JPG

Farmington-NCM_1163.JPG

Farmington-NCM_1166.JPG

Farmington-NCM_1167.JPG

Updated pictures from the site from Friday and today. They poured the concrete for the Supercharger cabinets Friday and got the enclosure finished today. Notice the amount of rebar and the thickness of the concrete! If you look at the next to last picture from today, you can see the insulating blankets on the curing concrete in the Supercharger enclosure, and on the transformer pad behind the Supercharger enclosure.

The crew worked today and hopes to be setting equipment and pulling the interconnect wiring on Tuesday. Depending on when the municipal electric utility can set and connect the transformer, Farmington should be on-line in a week or so! :biggrin:

Great construction pics and awesome News! I'm looking forward to celebrating its opening.

With a future southern I-25 SC probable, this gets very interesting. But I don't think Farmington is within range of say a Trinidad SC, though. So an option in Taos would be great, to avoid going to Albuquerque. Maybe Francisco is serious about a J70A or at least a 14-50 in Taos ... ?

Anyone have any thoughts on something in Salida ? Junction of Hwys 50 and 24 would be pretty good center node for crisscrossing/shortcutting this square being created with Tesla SC's.

Thanks for the great infowork on Farmington Cottonwood.!

Best guess is that the grand opening happens in about 10 days to 2 weeks, according to Four Corners Economic Development. I'll pass along more details when I receive them and hopefully we can get a few Teslas down there for the big event!

With a future southern I-25 SC probable, this gets very interesting. But I don't think Farmington is within range of say a Trinidad SC, though. So an option in Taos would be great, to avoid going to Albuquerque. Maybe Francisco is serious about a J70A or at least a 14-50 in Taos ... ?

Anyone have any thoughts on something in Salida ? Junction of Hwys 50 and 24 would be pretty good center node for crisscrossing/shortcutting this square being created with Tesla SC's.

Thanks for the great infowork on Farmington Cottonwood.!

See 4 Corners EV Charging - Salida Up! There is a 70A, J1772 running now in Salida! :biggrin: Go say hi to PT, and thank him for hosting the EVSE!

An update: All this great work is being done by Diamond Finish Construction, (575) 751-7311, out of Taos, NM. They specialize in Green Construction in the Taos area and bid on this job to see what these Superchargers were all about. These guys are very excited to work on this project! This is a great example of Tesla using local contractors to infuse a little money into the local economy.

You don't suppose, Cottonwood, that one can go the 190 miles either way between Salida and the Grand Jct SpC? Too much vertical?

I put the trip into EVTripPlanner and it looks very doable even at 20˚ F. Besides there are a lot of RV parks on that route. Call a few ahead of time and make sure you have a backup plan for a few extra miles in the battery if you need it. I am used to driving in the mountains and this would be a no-brainer for me.

Also, consider Farmington, NM Supercharger to Pagosa J1772 to Salida. Happy driving and PM me if you want to discuss this in more detail. See 4 Corners EV Charging - Page 3 for more detail.

Added the info to PlugShare. If anyone wants to edit or add pictures, feel free!

Where? I don't see anything in Farmington NM on Plugshare. If you see it, click on the site, click "Share", copy the resulting URL, and paste it here when you post about new entries like this.

For example, here is the nearest site that I do see, in Durango CO:

Durango Transit Center - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

(Pro tip: this URL format also works: http://www.plugshare.com/?location=16816 but doesn't give you the site-name title as seen above with the api URL.)

Where? I don't see anything in Farmington NM on Plugshare. If you see it, click on the site, click "Share", copy the resulting URL, and paste it here when you post about new entries like this.

For example, here is the nearest site that I do see, in Durango CO:

Durango Transit Center - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

(Pro tip: this URL format also works: http://www.plugshare.com/?location=16816 but doesn't give you the site-name title as seen above with the api URL.)

My entry got removed. Even though I clearly labeled it as "under construction," I guess they didn't want it there.

New Pictures and Update from Farmington

The transformer has been installed, site almost finished, the electric meter should be installed today, and it looks like the Tesla folks will be there to test the site today. It makes sense that Tesla would try to test Farmington today and Blanding tomorrow.

Many thanks to Diamond Finish Construction, (575) 751-7311, out of Taos, NM for installing the Supercharger in Farmington!

Here are some pictures from the site:

Setting the Transformer:
Farmington-NCM_1178.JPG

Wiring the Transformer:
Farmington-NCM_1196.JPG

Connections inside the 480 Volt Distribution Center:
Farmington-NCM_1187.JPG

Inside the Supercharger Enclosure, Distribution Center on Left, Supercharger Cabinets on Right:
Farmington-NCM_1217.JPG

Supercharger Stations in Farmington, Ready to Go Live:
Farmington-NCM_1228.JPG

Last edited: