Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Farmington, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent Pics.
Talk about premium timing: you were there as they are setting the transformer, and you took the time and had the patience to document pulling of major wire connections.
Great looking installation.

I can't take credit for the pictures. A friend at the site e-mailed them to me. I fell asleep early last night and then woke up early to a nice set of new pictures in my in-box. Couldn't resist getting them out to the forum this morning. Unfortunately, my MS is over in the Denver area. With luck, Grand Junction and Moab will be done soon and I can try the next drive via the big Supercharger Arc* from the Front Range to Pagosa. It will take more time than using the J1772 in Salida, but will be a fun alternative! :wink:

*Silverthorne, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Moab, Blanding, Farmington.

>the J1772 in Salida, Silverthorne, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Moab, Blanding, Farmington. [Cottonwood]

Uh oh, this has Cafe Racing written all over it. :cool:

edit: [Berkut beat me to it!]
--

Looks like a nice Weekend event. Its a little asymmetric, but Silverthorne to Pagosa via Superchargers, overnight charging in Pagosa (my electrician and I can get many outlets available), then a finish back to Silverthorne via Salida, living off the land, making hypermile choices. To avoid congestion in Salida, we could do staggered starts from Pagosa, Sunday Morning, or perhaps, normalizing of charge times with friendly 14-50's in Buena Vista...several RV parks right on the route, just north of town.

Honors for Supercharger Day, Live Off Land Day, and Combined. As a bonus, the hot springs in Pagosa are pretty nice. Pagosa is a small enough town, we might even get some local support/sponsorship.

309 Rainbow Dr, Silverthorne, CO 80498 to 309 Rainbow Dr, Silverthorne, CO 80498 - Google Maps

Just received an email from Tesla stating that Farmington is "officially" open!

Farmington Supercharger Now Open!
crm_map_marker_13x16.png
Farmington Supercharger

4200 Sierra Vista Drive, Farmington, NM 87402
crm_clock_15x15.png
24 hrs/day
crm_lightning_bolt_13x21.png
Charging Stalls - 4
The planet’s fastest charging station is now just a road trip away! We are excited to announce our latest Supercharger in Farmington, New Mexico. The Farmington Supercharger represents another milestone in the expansion of our cross country supercharger network. Soon you will be able to take your Model S across the United States for free, for life.

That makes two for New Mexico. I can't wait until we have the I25/I40 route covered. Since SpaceX is doing grasshopper testing at Spaceport America, you'd think they'd get a Supercharger for that area sooner rather than later.

Cool idea. Here is hoping they install the SC at Truth or Consequences before it projected 2015 date. I would love to see the grasshopper tests live.

Not a soul in sight!

The supercharger in Farmington works beautifully - grabbed a full range charge down there today and it took my rated battery capacity up to 213 miles -- the highest I've seen our 60 go so far. Hotel staff were extremely friendly and glad to see the new charging setup getting used. If you don't mind a little Frogger-style traffic avoidance on foot, the winery and bistro across the street are very nice for lunch or dinner, and both Target and Lowes are a short walk from there. Enjoy sampling our Four Corners electrons on a future visit!

P1050593.jpg
P1050594.jpg

The supercharger in Farmington works beautifully - grabbed a full range charge down there today and it took my rated battery capacity up to 213 miles -- the highest I've seen our 60 go so far. Hotel staff were extremely friendly and glad to see the new charging setup getting used. If you don't mind a little Frogger-style traffic avoidance on foot, the winery and bistro across the street are very nice for lunch or dinner, and both Target and Lowes are a short walk from there. Enjoy sampling our Four Corners electrons on a future visit!

Beautiful Pics! Thanks! I think that I used the same charging stall Wednesday Night!!

The Wine Bistro across the street is definitely the quality place to eat while charging in Farmington. They have a nice, bistro menu, and free, New Mexico wine tastings. :biggrin:

Glad you liked 'em! Looks like I may not even need to stop in Farmington on the way from Durango to Gallup - should be enough range in the 60 to make it to the Pacific Ocean by only charging at the superchargers at Gallup, Holbrook, Flagstaff, Kingman, Barstow, and Tejon Ranch, with a little low-voltage top off in Laughlin overnight. By the time I pick up some more juice in Atascadero, Gilroy, Fremont, Vacaville, Harris Ranch and Vegas on the way back (plus second visits to the chargers listed above), that should put me on your contenders list of most superchargers used. Then again, by the time I finish that trip, someone even crazier than me will probably do the whole cross-country trek and leave us all in the dust! Can't wait until a few more chargers get done in Utah so I can come back that way and bypass I-40 altogether. Happy travels all...

Nice pics! - On Friday I did my Albuquerque->Gallup->Farmington SC Test drive loop and arrived in Farmington at 3pm. Like you, I found the staff very pleasant and curious about Tesla cars. So naturally I gave them the tour. They were quite impressed. Two had never really heard of Tesla until the hotel manager had the supercharger installed, one had done some online research a fell in love with the Model S. They really liked the cars styling and spacious interior. One in fact said she plans on getting a Model S soon :). Between visiting with the staff and use of the facilities, my car was all charged up and ready to go - very nice. BTW they mentioned that another Tesla had stopped by earlier - you perhaps?

Attachments

• Farmington SC  - 1.jpg
    Farmington SC - 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 294
Last edited:
That was me! Sounds like we just missed you by 30 minutes or so. Glad you had the chance to give the hotel staff the full tour they were pretty busy with guests when I stopped in. Max charge rate I saw was around 90 kW in Farmington. Anyone able to draw more than that?

That was me! Sounds like we just missed you by 30 minutes or so. Glad you had the chance to give the hotel staff the full tour they were pretty busy with guests when I stopped in. Max charge rate I saw was around 90 kW in Farmington. Anyone able to draw more than that?
Staff:
It all worked out, when I arrived things had slowed down enough that they could take a moment to check out the car and ask questions.

Charging:
No I didn't. I believe that was because my battery still had 53% charge when I arrived from Gallup. With 53% charge I got 85kW (375V, 225A) at the start and then it progressively decreased to 36 kW when I reached 90%. In Gallup I had a remaining charge of 38%, which resulted in an initial charging rate of 116 kW (368V, 308A) which decreased to 90 kW as it approached 50% charge and 36 kW when it reached ~90%. I've no doubt that had my charge been lower than 30% I would have seen the 120 kW rate. This being my first time using superchargers and one-way trips between locations, I wanted plenty of margin. As such I carried more charge than I probably needed and thus did not achieve the full charging rate at either supercharger.

S85 | Black | Dual Chargers & HPWC | Tech | Air | Sub Zero

116 kW or bust!

I'll have to watch more closely when I do my next supercharging down in Gallup and Farmington to see if I can manage 120 kW or so. Our battery is new enough that it should be capable of that speed, but I can't remember having ever seen it charge that fast... Any recommended food options near the Gallup supercharger?

Staff:
It all worked out, when I arrived things had slowed down enough that they could take a moment to check out the car and ask questions.

Charging:
No I didn't. I believe that was because my battery still had 53% charge when I arrived from Gallup. With 53% charge I got 85kW (375V, 225A) at the start and then it progressively decreased to 36 kW when I reached 90%. In Gallup I had a remaining charge of 38%, which resulted in an initial charging rate of 116 kW (368V, 308A) which decreased to 90 kW as it approached 50% charge and 36 kW when it reached ~90%. I've no doubt that had my charge been lower than 30% I would have seen the 120 kW rate. This being my first time using superchargers and one-way trips between locations, I wanted plenty of margin. As such I carried more charge than I probably needed and thus did not achieve the full charging rate at either supercharger.

S85 | Black | Dual Chargers & HPWC | Tech | Air | Sub Zero