TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger fee announced, Australia 35 cents per kWh

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

Tesla releases the details of its new Supercharger Credit program

Although 35 cents per unit is a little higher than I would have expected it still works out at around half the cost per distance driven compared to a full size petrol sedan, this makes the AGL $1.00 a day a little bit more attractive for post April 2017 Tesla owners as well.

2. srwx

srwx Member

I was not expecting it to be higher than my retail kWh price :(

• Like x 2
  3. raynewman

raynewman Member

'tis a bit grabby; I pay 15 cents per kwh.

• Like x 1
  4. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

My wife's SUV does 950km's to the tank (75ltr) which means say a trip from Melbourne to Sydney costs about $83, the cost in my Mobile S would be about $56....so whilst cheaper not massively...I guess if fuel prices go up it'll seem cheaper (as long as KW prices don't also go up).

I agree, it's a bit grabby....

-ECIT

5. diesel

diesel Member

Why not? The cost to provide and maintain the supercharger is far more than just the input cost of electricity. Same as the difference between a terminal gate price for petrol or diesel and what you pay at the pump for an ICE.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. diesel

diesel Member

I think at this stage it is probably a fair cost recovery price given the lower volume of Tesla's in Australia relative to the US. I would however expect that this price comes down as the cost is shared by a larger number of Tesla owners (particularly when the M3 is released in Aus)

• Like x 1
  7. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

That's actually the reason I thought it would be cheaper than this. Tesla arguably would have a far better rate per kWh than what I'm paying for green power as the input cost.

My presumption is this higher fee ensures we get a flat rate whereever these are located around this wide brown land.

8. brewster

brewster Member

Is this to discourage thoose that charge at the supercharger rather than at home at a cheaper price. Maybe not an issue now but when the 3 arrives ....

9. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Do Australian businesses get charged a Demand Charge? In the US, (specifically in California), utility customers get charged a penalty rate for exceeding certain traunches of kWh of usage over a short period (i.e. DC fast charging of any kind usually hits this penalty quicker.)

As such, what might be an X per kWh rate is actually X per kWh and a YYY charge per month for hitting a certain traunch.

(in the US this penalty can be $1,500 USD for the month that such a level is reached.)

And as a result, the $0.20 USD per kWh that Tesla charges in California may be a break-even.

10. WA-T3sla

WA-T3sla Member

While this sounds good now. Long term ultimately governments will realise they have a shrinking revenue base for fuel taxes and explore other mechanisms to recover. Whether that is a charge for power for EVs (I think unlikely) or a km charge for all cars to replace the fuel taxes these changes will ultimately negate the financial saving of charging an EV versus refuelling an ICE car.

• Like x 1
  11. Murbs

Murbs Member

"We are only aiming to recover a portion of our costs and set up a fair system for everyone; this will never be a profit center for Tesla."
    I think the above statement from Tesla says it all.

In WA, it'll be interesting to see if the RAC's electric highway rate of $0.45 per kWh will be adjusted to meet Tesla's $0.35 once they install a supercharger in Bunbury later this year.

12. diesel

diesel Member

Last I checked the excise was around 38 cents per litre on petrol and diesel - and it is now indexed with the inflation rate so will increase over time (note that the excise is charged before adding GST, so you actually pay tax on a tax)

At least the long term trajectory for electricity is downward with the combination of solar and storage technologies improving in their $p/kwh as opposed to fossil fuels which have quite wild swings in pricing.

13. houdini

houdini Member

It's expensive. Full stop. They weren't charging anything at all to provide, maintain and pump electricity before so how can you be asking that they charge a rate to include those things. We know this charging is simply to discourage people form the superchargers so that when the model 3 cheaper cars come out the tight ar$$es who buy the 3's won't clog up the superchargers. You will find those same owners move to the Level 2 J1772 chargers, which are free, and clog them up for 8 hours to get some free juice. Buy a second hand model S and enjoy free juice for life while the other poor saps who came in late pay for the install and maintenance.

• Disagree x 1
  14. diesel

diesel Member

First thing to address here is that Tesla "weren't charging anything" for supercharging. Fact is they were, every Tesla Model S or X sold to date has had supercharging priced into the total vehicle cost, you may not see it as a line item but trust me it wasn't free. This article by Seeking Alpha actually covers off this point stating "when a car is sold, Tesla doesn’t recognize the entirety of the revenue received for it. Instead, it has to defer an amount for each of those deferred-delivery services." One of they most obvious deferred-delivery services is of course providing lifetime free supercharger access. Where Tesla went wrong here is they never showed people the real cost of supercharging and now there is an expectation that charging is free. There is actually a really good story over on NPR which discusses this very topic, about the reputational damage to the Red Cross when they started charging for donuts and coffee after initially providing them for free to US soldiers. Have a listen: The cost of free donuts

The assertion that M3 purchasers are "tight at$$es" is unfortunate - there are many reasons why someone in Australia might not want or be able to purchase an S or X. Top of mind is:
    - Inner city residents who want a small city car
    - Not wanting to pay luxury car tax of $8k - $30k (that's seems sensible to me)
    - Not wanting to stretch household debt
    - Not wanting to pay insanely high lease costs

• Like x 1
  15. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

Tesla cost to do 100ks in WA charger network assumed 16 kWhrs @ 45c/kWhr $7.20
    My Peugeot diesel 4.5 l/100k $1.20/ litre $5.40
    Ignoring all other running costs.
    something wrong here.

16. rowdy

rowdy Member

I'm more disappointed that the 400kwh gets reset each year. I'd be ok if it got added to the tally and would make it possible to do a long trip like melbourne->brisbane every couple of years.

Oh well guess I'll be sharing the P85 amongst the family whenever someone wants to do a road trip.

17. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

#17 WhiteStar, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    You can say that again. The cost of diesel is in reality so much higher than advertised.

Particulates from diesel emissions are a leading cause of respiratory illness, not to mention their contribution to planetary environmental destruction. Yet governments continue to massively subsidise diesel fuels while doing nothing to subsidise our inevitable conversion to zero emission transport.

So many myths & untruths pervade the political conversation…renewables cannot provide base load supply, renewables are inconsistent & unreliable, renewables destroy jobs, renewables destroy growth…I could go on & on & on but, not wanting to be accused of misplaced political discourse, I won’t.

• Like x 1
  18. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

As far as I know the RAC handed control over to a private company that handles the Chargers for regional shires, at that time ( April 2016) the price increased from free to 45 cents a kWh, usage has apparently dropped off 70%, I'm not sure who pays for maintenance and repairs but I doubt the income recieved goes anywhere near covering the upkeep.
    Even If diesel was free I would still take the Tesla for a cruise through the South-West rather than a Peueot diesel

19. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

In hindsight encouraging city driven passenger cars to be fitted with Diesel engines is starting to backfire, although one clever mechanic is making the most of the opportunities it brings-
    WA police fill up cop cars with the wrong fuel... regularly , wrong fuel rescue has 2 technicians in each of Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide.

• Like x 1
  20. Murbs

Murbs Member

Imagine what would happen if you filled up your Tesla with the wrong fuel, say, positrons instead of electrons ;)

• Funny x 4